New Caesar - Take 3 (Samheen 30th TT)

Moderator: Mods

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

New Caesar - Take 3 (Samheen 30th TT)

Post by Grey Wolf »

Three times is the charm. That is how the old saying went. Would it apply to the Caesarian elections? Would the Empire get a new ruler today? As it were, there was only one way it could be determined, and that was if the Council got together once more and voted again. Another round of votes and another chance for someone to ascend to the throne. Would it be Scatha? Or perhaps Andolin? Or.......

The large Council Chamber was mostly empty once more, though a few of the Imperial Electors have already taken their seats. Luther Dethrek was sitting alone, running fingers though his beard, deep in thought, though he glanced towards the door from time to time, looking almost nervous. A few chairs away, Pietro Le Clair of the Dort Abbey was reading a book, though there was no way to see what it was since the covers bore no marks. Of Isis and Hassan there was no sign, nor was Erwin there. Silk sat at his usually spot, Manyana at his side, and they seemed to be......arguing? It was the Scout Leader that was upset, Silk appearing as relaxed as he always was.

There was actually just one person in the hall who did not hold a vote, besides Mistress Tabeann, and he sat close to the door, shifting nervously in his seat. Simon Ginneke was there and it was towards him that Hector glanced, lifting his gaze from the set of papers in his lap. Horatio Kywill of the University of Magic sat next to the Imperial Thaumaturgist and they were engaged in a hushed discussion, though it was a rather calm one to be precise.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

There were certain to be strong reactions at his presence. There had been those that had called his actions unlawful. There were those that had made him the scapegoat for the deaths in the riots. There were those that simply wanted him out of the city and out of the lives of the people of Citadel altogether. Those very people were in the room he was about to enter.

Had it been the day before, Ulder might have been a nervous, jittery wreck. Yesterday he was jumpy and skittish, thinking about the many things that could have gone wrong. Elaine could have been killed by the demon. They all could have been killed. Ulder had faced his own death many times, but the lives of others had always been a difficult thing for him to deal with. The experience of command had seasoned his ability to deal with the ghosts that haunted him, but the faces that cried out to him from the dark would likely be with him forever. It was only Elaine that soothed that part of him. Her healing ways were like a cool drink after coming in from the hot sun.

But it was the next day, and the former Captain had the steely veneer of command back in place. He was in control, and he knew that this was an entirely new battle he was about to face. Ulder had made a name for himself on being a creative and innovative leader. Today that would be put to the test like never before. He arrows and slings would be coming his way, and Ulder knew with a certainty that he would be under attack this day.

At the right shoulder of Duke Erwin, he allowed himself to be led into the room and into yet another uncertain future.
[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=404]Ulder's Compendium[/url]

[size=67]Avatar by permission of Amok. http://en.amokanet.ru/[/size]
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

It was with a sigh of impatience that Andolin noted the arrival of Duke Erwin. Yet, the identity of the man that followed him was a surprise -- one that he sought to hide behind both his magical shields and a look of mild boredom.

Perhaps it was fitting that he was dressed in purple this day, and wore Caesar's sword at his side for symbolism. Hired yourself out to Erwin have you Ulder? It was the smart move certainly, but when had Ulder ever done anything smart?

Andolin had already worked the small crowd as best he could, saying hello and a friendly nod to each -- including Silk. There was no need to speak with Silk. The little man would know more of the votes than Andolin, and he certainly did not want to be seen with the Secretary publicly.

There were low expectations for the day. Andolin assumed that a few votes would be swayed here and there, but a clear majority would not emerge. As such, he had more time to plot and plan. It was when people tired at impasse that they were most vulnerable to new efforts to win their votes.
[i]Someone has to be in charge, so it might as well be me.[/i]
Andolin Avatar by the Nice GD
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Duke Erwin's face bore a slight smile, the one that spoke of knowledge only he had and of how he knew and expected the others to be, oh so eager to learn of it as well. He paused as they passed the door and pointed vaguely towards a set of seats, on the opposite side of where Silk sat. He gave Simon Ginneke a nod, but said not more, whispering to Ulder, but not keeping his voice to low. "Ah, this will be interesting. Imperial Thaumaturgist is here and I have heard that he wishes to address the Council before the vote. That man is so rash and impulsive. I wonder what it is he will say." As they reached their seats, Erwin paused, waving towards the dwarf and calling out. "Master Dethrek. A moment if I may. There is someone I would like you to meet."

The dwarf gave a "Huh" as he was broken out of his reverie and rose, to slump into a seat next to the pair. "Ah, Luther. Good to see you. Allow me to introduce to you Ulder Synkaaros, former Captain of the Imperial Guards and the man who had slain a demon just the other day. Ulder, this is Luther Dethrek, Thain of Nazareen and Royal Mint." The dwarf coughed and bowed awkwardly, stroking his beard. "Ulder, eh? You the lad that got involved in that whole scrap in da Outer Ring? Pleased ta meet ya, lad. Come 'ere ta watch the vote? I don't see that Ashtir lass. Guess eh went out to get more cherries." As he spoke those last words, his eyes stared at Erwin, his tone heavily sarcastic.

It was then that Isis sailed in, with Sheikh close in tow. Pausing at the door she whispered something to the towering half-giant and he nodded and strode towards their seats, while she sailed towards Andolin, a smile upon her lips. Once more she was not quite dressed, as covered to provide a sense of decency, a simple skirt covering her hips, reaching just above her mid-thighs, a short waist coat like shirt covering her upper torso, leaving the most of her body bared. "Good morning, Lord Azarin. Were you successful in your efforts? The Vizier told me that the voting would be less balanced today."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder's watchful eyes scanned over the others that had assembled thus far, giving all that noticed him a respectful nod. It was strange thing being on the other side of the doors. He had stood at post here before, but the Council members would never remember him as a faceless, nameless Guardsman then. Now they would know the name, if not the face and he girded himself mentally against the attacks and verbal barbs that he was certain would come.

As the Duke whispered to him about Simon, the former Captain examined the Imperial Thaumaturgist. He had always heard the name, and he was seeing the face as well. It seemed that there would be many introductions this day, for better, and likely and cautiously for worse he imagined. Ulder gave a quick nod of acknowledgement to the Duke to indicate that he understood about the Thaumaturgist impending speech, and then turned his attention to the Thain as he was introduced.

"Good to meet you my Lord Dethrek." he replied quietly and politely.

"You the lad that got involved in that whole scrap in da Outer Ring?"

"Yes sir, I am."

Ulder stopped himself and let the sentence hang there. There was much more to say, much more to elaborate, but he didn't know where the Thain stood on that action, and if Dethrek was for or against it, so he simply withheld any additional commentary. It was an akward pause, but the Dwarf seemed to pay little enough attention to it and he continued his conversation with the Duke.

Others entered and Ulder looked on, his face and expression was one of interest and curiosity.

Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

"Good tide, Your Excellency. Your presence is most welcome. Sadly, there was little time to speak with many." His gaze noted the absence of Scatha. "Perhaps the other candidate has withdrawn and campaigning against no one might gain me a vote or two," he laughed in a way that was self-deprecating.

The presence of the Imperial Thaumaturge caused Andolin to be more alert. he had wanted to speak with the man ever since he had heard that the wizard had slain Father Pulo.

"Does your Vizier predict victory?" he asked, feeling confident that Silk would have everything under control. "I need to speak with the Imperial Thaumaturge before the meeting," he announced. "Please forgive me, but it would be best if i were to speak with him." With a deep bow, he attempted to make his exit from her company to Simon's side.

"I believe that congratulations are in order over the rescue," he spoke lowly to Simon. "I heard reports that a One Inquistor attempted to cause you harm, but that you dispatched him. What happened? I shall be wanting to see the West answer for this."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Dwarf's brows furrowed when Ulder spoke so tersely, his eyes moving to Erwin, then back to Captain. What followed next was a loud laughter, followed by a slap on his knee. "Ah, this be better. A silent one. I like ye lad. You don't blab yer mouth without end like others here. That Ashtir lass kept on and on and she made no sense. She was lucky I was in a good mood or I would have had her over me knee and her arse would have been smoking from tha whooping she would have got." A harumph was next, the good mood disappearing like a puff of smoke. A man in a robe close by chuckled softly, drawing a look from the dwarf and a snappy. "Whatcha laughin' at, lad?" The young man waved his hand away and smiled politely. "Oh, just trying to imagine the scene and the amount of shrieks that would get from the lady." Then he turned to Ulder and introduced himself. "Brother Pietro. Representative of the Dort Abbey." He was a young man, and appeared well groomed and probably more suited to a role of actor or bard than a monk.

Isis would have pouted prettily and maybe thrown a small tantrum had it been anyone else that snubbed her so, but Andolin's words were true and he was right. They could always speak later and if he managed to get himself a few more votes at the last moment.... Well, that would be good. "Nu'Phuat says that unless something drastic happens you can expect to have two or three more votes today. And if you get three then you have won." She smiled and turned to take her seat next to Sheik, leaving Andolin to seek out Simon.

The mage was deep in conversation with Horatio Kywil, but it died down before Major Domos approached, a whisper sending the Sheriff away, with Simon crossing arms before his chest and arching a brow. "Oh. My rescue. I assure you I was never in any real danger. Unfortunately the man attempted to cast a spell and I reacted on instinct. He was trying to get away, but I did not know that before his head fell off." He shrugged. "I hear he attacked one of the guards too. Sergeant says the boy is okay, though he had a crushed larynx. I wonder how the man ever got onto the island, let alone into the Citadel and then my office? And why my office?"
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

At first Ulder was a bit taken aback by the Thain's concerned expression, but when he barked out in laughter the former Captain smiled softly. When the Dwarf spoke of him being quiet and not running his mouth, he decided it was best to continue on with that trend, although he did nod in acknowledgment and continued to smile politely.

As the other man neared, Synkaaros turned to face and greet Brother Pietro.

"Pleased to meet you sir. I have yet to set foot in what I'm sure is the beautiful isle of Dort, but is good to see you here and I'm grateful for the chance to look in on these proceedings."

Ulder had little understanding of the Abbey and it's effect and power on the Isle, so he stayed to a seemingly neutral topic and continued to make polite conversation.

Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

"I am glad to hear that you were in no danger sir," Andolin replied in a relieved voice. "The priest arrived on an airship and offered to help fight the ... creature ... that needed dispatching. As you why he sought you out, who is to say? I am glad that he proved to be no menace, but I shall need to watch our other Western visitors more closely."

Relieved that the Mage had no new tales of woe to share, and that he did not seem to be in bad spirits, Andolin felt confident in leaving the man in peace. "The Council Session is about to begin, so I had best return to my seat," he offered, bt paused to see if the wizard wanted more words.
Mairi Armstrong
Envoy

Post by Mairi Armstrong »

Mairi was nervous. No, she was very nervous. Today was the day when she truly became part of Citadel politics. She glanced around the room as she entered, trying to decide where to take a seat. Eventually she supposed that she ought to sit with the Duke.

She had by no means reached a decision as to who to vote for. Andolin was the only candidate she had managed to speak to, but she might still be swayed.

Moving over to her employer she greeted him.

"Your Grace," she said courteously. "May I sit with you? I don't really know where else I should go."
~The shadowy mountains and the echoing sea~
[size=75]avatar made from a photo by [url=http://www.sxc.hu/profile/alesia17]alesia17[/url][/size]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

OOC: Pushing the story forward due to reasons stated in PMs. Mairi feel free to join in or I will have to assume you are not here for later.

As the last of the Council members filtered in Hector motioned towards the guards at the doors and with a nod the men stepped out, pulling the doors closed behind them. The thud of doors shutting those inside away from the outside world, was followed by three slams of Hector's staff of office as the Imperial Chancellor called out in clear voice. "By the power vested in me by the late Caesar Anochrim, I call this Council session open. There are three agenda's on the list today and we shall begin immediately, unless someone has any last minute objections?" He paused to allow those who wish to speak up.

"First line of business for today is the introduction of a new Islay Representative. Miss Mairi Armstrong of the Armstrong clan has brought to me the letter that proclaim her an official Islay representative. I have examined the papers and found them in order, but should anyone wish to check them again, please step forth. Mistress Tabeann, please have the documents ready." Most people accepted the in silence, though both Isis and Silk cast a quick glance towards Duke Erwin, the Secretary merely smiling and nodding once, while the lady's gaze was far more venomous. Erwin for the most part ignored the pair, crossing his arms before his chest.

Should anyone wish to step forward and examine the papers insert it here, but they will be in perfect order

"Next line of business is the address of Imperial Thaumaturge Simon Ginneke. Master Ginneke please take the floor." As Simon stepped forward, Erwin sent a message to Hector by a runner, and the Chancellor read through it, casting a glance towards the Duke and nodding, before he added a few more notes to the papers before him. "Honored Imperial Electors. I am sure many of you are aware of what has transpired yesterday, but for those of you who have not heard, there has been an attack on me in the palace itself. A man, Inquisitor from World's Mouth has broken into my office, and tried to steal my possessions. I had to resort to deadly force, but it is only through sheer luck and his own stupidity that I was not harmed. But, that is not the reason I address you today. I have learned that it has been by Major Domos' orders that he was allowed to enter the Citadel and that the man has arrived aboard the Western airship, which landed again under Major Domos' orders. I would like to hear his excuse for allowing such dangerous visitors to come and by what authority did he do it?" He turned towards Andolin and then swept a gaze over the audience, but his words had very little effect. Hector turned towards Major Domos and arched a brow. "Lord Azarin do you wish to explain?"
Last edited by Grey Wolf on Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

"I would be happy to explain," Andolin replied as he took to his feet. "Lords and Ladies, need I tell you how the Citadel has been under assault by forces of the netherworld? The only reason that we are able to meet in this room today, in relative safety, is because steps have been taken to remove the menace."

"I also need not remind you that my function is to see to the safety of the Citadel. In doing so, I called upon the University of Magic, my Imperial Guard, the high priests and priestesses of every god, and the Imperial Thaumaturge to combine together to form a party of heroes to slay a beast so foul that it could have destroyed this entire city with the span of days."

"Former Captain Ulder," he pointed to the man beside Duke Erwin, "had his own reasons for undertaking to lead this expedition. To help ensure his success, I put at his disposal all the forces martial, magical, and blessed of the Gods. I even lent his the flaming sword of Anochrim that was given to me by the Queen of Kisloven."

"In the process of forming this party, I was made aware by the Counsel from World's Mouth that an airship had arrived at the Citadel on a trade mission. I was assured that they meant no harm and that there were some Inquisitors of the One on board that would be placed at my disposal as a way to curry favor with the Empire. The airship and priests were already here, and Captain Ulder, in my opinion, needed all the assistance he could in defeating the daemon. So I agreed that the priests could come along, if they reported to Captain Ulder."

"This was a time for decisive action. The fate of the Citadel hung in the balance and I was not above using whatever assets I could muster. If the battle was lost, then at least a few Oneist inquisitors would be sacrificed as well. They are rather poor company I can assure you," he jested as he looked to the priests of the Pantheon present.

"I am happy to report that the mission was a success. Former Captain Ulder was successful, and he has my thanks. Perhaps he might even acknowledge that these priests were useful in fighting the nether ... frankly, that is what they are most useful in doing."

"We all owe Ulder a debt of gratitude the success of his intrepid band of heroes. The Citadel is secure once again from the forces of darkness. The fact that one of the priests attacked our Thaumaturge is a surprise. He represented no real threat, he has been dispatched, and now I have an excuse to order the arrest of any remaining Oneist Inquistors ... so really, I think it has worked out rather nicely."

He paused to see if Ulder would say anything before adding, "this is the type of decision-making we need to save not just the Citadel, but the Empire itself." By this, he meant himself of course.
Last edited by Andolin on Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The Duke nodded without looking at Mairi and patted the seat next to him, his attention focused on the exchange between the Imperial Thaumaturgist and Major Domos. As Andolin's voice died down, a murmur rose, with everyone whispering at the same time, conferring to one another and even arguing as was the case with Stacco and de Besnie. In the end it was Hector that brought silence to the room, slamming his staff of office against the ground three times. "Please. Ladies and gentlemen. Mind your manners. If someone wishes to speak, please ask for the right, and step forth."

A flurry of commotion followed, with quick discussions once again raising the background noise, but only two requests to speak came. One from Isis and one from Duke Erwin. The Amunic representative did not even wait for Hector to call her forth, rising and striding towards the center of the chamber. "Lady Isis, you may address the Council." He still said it even though she completely ignored it, causing a small frown to form on Hector's face.

"Honored Councilors. I think it is obvious that petty souls whose vision of the future is limited by their own inability to achieve greatness are trying to downplay the end effect Lord Azarin has achieved by nitpicking. A demon is dead. Royal poet is safe. That is all that matters. It is as Major Domos has said. In time of need, shortcuts are necessary. That is the difference between great people and those who never will rise from the sea of mediocrity. Great men dare to risk, they dare to act when the need for action arises and they trust in their judgment. Sure, one man out of six who accompanied Captain Ulder had turned out to be a problem. But, is that Lord Azarin's fault? The man who broke into Master Ginneke's office could have been delusional. He could have gone mad due to the strain of facing such a monstrosity. Seeing his fellow Inquisitors die. Unfortunately we shall never know why he acted as he did. He is dead now. That is all in the past. As I understood nobody got hurt." Here she chuckled. "Well, apart from the fool who broke into Master Ginneke's office. And as I see it he deserved what he got. So, I ask you what are we discussing here? A slight oversight on Major Domos' part? Why are we focusing on that and not on the bigger picture? He got the demon vanquished. And we still do need a Caesar. So, who better to take such a place than a man who showed us he can deal with problems when they arise. If he can deal with a demon he can deal with humans as well. So, I suggest we stop this idiocy and vote once more. And that we shall not be as petty as we were."

As she finished, several heads could be seen nodding, with a few tentative smiles being seen. It was Duke Erwin who was smiling truly and openly, as he cast a glance towards Chancellor Anzillo. With a look towards Isis, he thudded the staff upon the stones once more. "Thank you, Lady Isis. Duke Erwin. I believe you have requested to address the Council?" Erwin nodded and rose slowly, taking his time to move to the center of the chamber and straightened the lapels of his coat.

"Now, I have to admit that even I could have hardly put it better than Lady Isis did. A man of action. A man willing to take the chance and act when action is needed. Perfectly put." He turned towards Isis and flashed her a smile, even going so far as to clap. "I agree. Wholeheartedly. But, aren't we forgetting one thing here? Did Lord Azarin really take action? Or did he just provide assistance to someone else?" He paused and turned to sweep his gaze over all those gathered. "Former Captain Ulder Synkaaros I believe is the man who took the action. The man who came to Major Domos' office and asked for his assistance. Man who gathered the demon hunters and who wielded the fabled Tal Alkeen in that battle, using the sword of the late Caesar Anochrim to vanquish the demon. As Major Domos has put it so nicely the other day. There is a war brewing and we shall need a strong Caesar. A warrior perhaps?" He paused and then stood straight. "But, let us not dawdle as Lady Isis put it. I will make it short. I would like to nominate Ulder Synkaaros, former Captain of the Purple Guards, winner of the Tournament held in the honor of late Caesar's engagement to Lady Aesa, and the man who vanquished a demon who posed a major threat to the Citadel and its people, for Caesar. And I agree with Lady Isis, we should vote on it as soon as possible" With that he turned to walk back to his seat, slowly and with a pleased smile on his lips.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder was a practitioner in the art of reading people. He was perhaps better than others, but he was definitely not the worst. He said nothing to interrupt Lord Azarin's speech, merely nodding quietly along as the man spoke. His relatively calm demeanor was a mask as he hid the turbulent thoughts within.

Yes, yes. You did authorize such things, but it was also you that had done little else. It was also you who authorized the forming of exploratory committees that would have taken weeks or months to determine the source of the evil. How long would it have taken you to move against it? How many more people would have been killed if we, the ones out in the lighthouse and the piers, had not done something about it. Go on. Take whatever credit you can muster. I don't care. Once this farce is over Elaine and I will rid ourselves of the stench of this place. You can have it Azarin, you're welcome to it...

As the Duke's announcement came, the former Captain tried hard to breathe normally and not hold his breath. These were the people that made him responsible for all the problems caused by the rioting, these were the people that fingered him to take the fall. Now, it was being proposed that he lead them instead. He could barely contain his anticipation at seeing how they would respond. He loved a good story, and this was a great turn in the plot that few would see coming. It made coming to this meeting more than worth it.

So instead of words, or smiles or any action at all, he just sat and watched the reaction play out around the room.

Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Ulder? That was an unexpected move. Still, Andolin knew he could play it to his advantage ... as he thought he could with every outcome. The key was not to attack Ulder. That would give the soldier sympathy. No, it was better to damn him with faint and mischievous praise.

Andolin took to his feet, as people expected he might. "I applaud Her Excellency, the Lady Isis for such words of wisdom. They are as a beacon in these dark times." Turning to Erwin, he hoped to catch him by surprise with his friendly nature. "Likewise, appreciation is due to the much heralded Duke of Dort for seeking a strong candidate."

"A warrior. Caesar Anochrim was a great warrior. I shall be forever indebted for what he did for me, though we all know that he did not enjoy being Caesar. No, he was a soldier. A great warrior. He wanted nothing more than to train with his Guard and lead them into battle. He bristled with real acts of governing that did not require a sword. He let others do that governing for him." He tried to have a voice that sounded as a eulogy for the fallen Caesar.

"And others of this Council were glad to let him defer governance to this Council. Some cynics might think that there are still members of the Council that would prefer a warrior to a statesman -- not because the throne needs a sword, but to keep power from it."

"Others of you might wonder, if it is a general we need, then let us elect one and send him forth to lead the army. Some might question the wisdom of caging a good warrior here instead."

"As for me, I am an admirer of Ulder's strength, determination, and his willingness to take risks. Who else would have gambled his entire command and the defense of the Citadel on an unauthorized attack on forces in the Outer Ring? It was bold and daring. Just because it resulted in riots and near civil war on the island does not mean the gamble had no chance of success." Andolin smiled inwardly.

"And what other man would fake his own death so that he could pose as a mercenary in a tavern? He was on the trail of a daemon. Not in the name of the Empire mind you, but for his own personal reasons. He found a daemon, who possessed his mind briefly and caused him to murder a man in cold blood, my bodyguard, before sending him to murder me. A lesser man would have hated Ulder for this, but I have forgiven him because he was under the control of a daemon at the time."

"One has to wonder about daemons ... whether they leave seeds inside a mind they once possess -- seeds that might flower into something dark. But, I have no such worries about Ulder. He is strong. So strong he is that he was able to defeat a greater daemon. Some witnesses might even describe Ulder's battle skill as fighting with ... daemonic fury," he added in a dramatic whisper.

"And now he is here, a hero of the hour. I do not worry that his mind is still enslaved by daemons. I am certain that the Duke would not have put forward his candidacy without the approval of the Lectors of the University." He looked to the University representative, suspecting that Erwin had not done this and he could plant seeds of doubt in everyone's mind.

"If a man as great as the Duke of Dort will vouch for him, who am I to wonder as to the warrior's ability to lead the Empire?" It was hard not to sound sarcastic.

"One might pity former Captain Ulder for all that he has suffered. He has deserved better. He has lost so much, yet he saved the most precious thing to him ... no, not the Empire, but a very special person that has my own respect. Yet, if we appoint him Caesar, I suspect that we will have more cause to pity him. He has wielded Anochrim's sword. Will you now decree that he is to wield Anochrim's sorrow in the title as well? I suspect that the Ulder that I know would rather be with the troops in a war to protect an outpost of the Empire, rather than engaged in a never-ending war of words in these hallowed halls," he announced in a voice of dramatic triumph.
Last edited by Andolin on Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder listened to Andolin's remarks with a jaundiced perspective of the man and his machinations.

It was easy to see how Lord Azarin was throwing out empty praise laced with currents of poisonous slander. Perhaps the Major Domus was trying to bait him into a confrontation, or lure him in to some sort of verbal sparring match.

Ulder was having none of it.

He sat still and gave the Major Domus a flat, stoic look that would impart how he saw right through what Azarin was doing. He instead chose to respond with simple, quiet words through a voice that had been nearly ruined with the blade of a throwing knife.

"I'll let what we did speak for itself. I will not presume to tell this august council how or what to think with petty and transparent innuendo."

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Voices rose in outrage, surprise, anger, joy. Hector's staff kept pounding into the stone floor, but in the end it was Andolin's voice that brought silence to the Council Chamber though the murmur never died completely. Isis was the most vocal of those present, her eyes casting daggers towards Duke Erwin and his candidate, as she voiced her support for Major Domos, with constant shouts of "Yes!" and "Quite right!" The Duke merely smiled and sat quite pleased with himself, whispering something to Luther Dethrek that caused the dwarf to gasp and look up with shocked expression.

Silk was quiet and so very serious. The small smile that graced his features during the past two Council meetings was gone, and his expression was unreadable, his eyes not looking at anyone in particular. Muchislie representatives argued amongst themselves, with the Kislovani pair whispering as well, though they seemed to have reached a conclusion rather fast. Ina da'Yrsa simply glanced towards Erwin and nodded once, though whether it was in agreement or a sign of respect. Mother Abeaja looked positively overjoyed, on the verge of clapping her hands, while Horatio of the University looked like he had a little stormy cloud over his head. Hector merely frowned as Lord Azarin went about insulting his opponent in a very unsubtle manner.

Erwin's smile grew more and more as Major Domos spoke and he was positively beaming by the time he was finished, rising slowly from his seat as Ulder spoke. He raised a hand and looked towards Hector requesting the right to speak to which Hector nodded. "Please. Ladies." He looked at every woman in the room, but Isis. "Gentlemen. Please. Why do we argue? There is a rather simple way to prove if our candidates are true to their word. To see if they are possessed by the demons. If they are arrogant bastards who seek personal gain over all else. Or perhaps even puppets." Casually he pointed towards the sword at Andolin's hip. "Tal Alkeen. Sword of late Caesar Anochrim. Protector or the Empire. All we have to do is have our candidates take the sword and vow before us all that they will serve the Empire and its people to the best of their ability. And then draw the sword. The soul of Lagnora Tal Alkeen will judge them all and punish any lies accordingly. Lady Sosa and Secretary Silk can tell you that I speak the truth." Sosa nodded without words, and even Silk acknowledged it. "Now, Miss Ashtir is not here, so we can not have the ladies go first. Gentlemen?"
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

In Andolin's mind, he had put on a grand performance. In a way that had been cool and calculated, he had raised a dozen questions about Ulder's qualifications to sit upon the throne. In his estimation, only a fool ... or someone bought ... would vote for Ulder. Still, women were often easily won over by warrior types. They never seemed to appreciate the smart and clever types. By the way Mairi sat next to Erwin, he calculated that her vote was bought. The nod of the Trothgard representative meant she was of Erwin's view. They were all barbarian Amazon warriors anyway, so why would they not support someone who could wield steel rather than wit?

Mother Abeaja was a moron. He learned that when he tried to call the high priests together to battle the daemon. By rights, she should vote for him, but maybe Ulder had promised her that his number one priority would be to plant more shrubberies around the palace, thereby securing her vote.

The Muchislie vote seemed to be split, so he might get one. The Kislovans were set, though he suspected he would get both of their votes. He had paid heed to their adhiel Queen and promised future favors in return for the sword. No, Kislovan would want him as Caesar. He owed them. Isis and her sheik would vote for him. Manyana should vote for him. Silk would vote for him, but seemed to vote for Erwin's candidates, to confound his enemies of limited intellect. Clearly, Sosa would vote for Ulder, but then she had voted against him before.

The Duke's idea to use the sword as a test was a brilliant maneuver. Andolin had to admit that. Though, why he had waited so long was ... curious.

Sadly, if the sword chose Ulder over him, it would sway many votes away from his camp, regardless of commitments to Silk or himself. Yet, the Duke had slipped in how he worded the question. Perhaps it was intentional to help Ulder. Swearing to defend the Empire with the best of one's abilities had little to do with one's competence, let alone whether one had hidden motives.

He fingered the sword that rested at his side, as if to try and calm it. While I put myself above all, it is I, Tal Alkeen, that am the best to lead. Ulder would put Elaine above the Empire. If an enemy captured her, he would betray the Empire and himself to save her. He has done it before. I would not betray myself, and therefore I would not betray the Empire. I would seek more power for myself, and thereby for the throne. With a strong throne, the Empire would be better served. If Ulder gets the throne, he will be dead within a month. Even if he is not assassinated by Silk, he will become frustrated that he cannot get his way on the Council. He will sulk and then go lead the army.

He continued his silent argument with his sword. I am not a puppet. Silk will be surprised. But, Ulder will be Erwin's puppet. He has no head for statesmanship. He found himself petting the hilt as he took to his feet. The fact that Silk had acknowledged the gift of the sword had put Andolin in an awkward position to dispute this trial by ordeal.

"Much as I have come to love this sword, my fellow council members, I must question the wisdom of allowing an enchanted item to select our Caesars. Who knows what spell might have been placed on it. Perhaps we should just have the sword select someone each time, and then the Council would not need to vote."

"Yet, far be it for me to step back from a challenge from a man as great as the Duke of Dort. Your Grace may wish to rethink whether the sword should test who will be the true puppet of the two candidates. Consider now before Ulder takes a vow on the sword. Perhaps you would be better to take the throne yourself than rule through a conduit. I would be happy to yield to you, as you are a far more worthy candidate than I to rule the Empire." That was certainly a true statement, and a bit of humility was a good thing. He knew that Silk would understand that the offer could not be accepted by Erwin, so that it was but a tactic.

Pulling out the sword, he held it high. "Let it test the truth of things then." He a fearless look around the room, he knew that he would choose his words carefully, and that they would be true.

"I am neither possessed by a daemon, nor have I been. I would serve the Empire well by uniting it. I have the ability to best serve the Empire of the three candidates named so far and I would use that ability to aid the Empire in these dark times. Yes, I have been known to show a streak of arrogance now and then," he uttered in a sporting, if not humorous admission, "but it is my honest intent to make the Empire greater." And me with it.

Awaiting the reaction of the sword, which he fully expected to be supportive, he was ready to give the Duke a told you so look, before handing the sword to Ulder.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

As Andolin swore his oath, Ulder smiled gently, but the grin was something more closely akin to a feral wolf than from any real mirth . It suddenly all made sense to him. The Duke, the nomination, everything. The Duke knew he would bring this oath to light. He knew that the Duke was shrewd, but now he understood the depth of the man's cunning.

If Andolin would not swear, then Ulder would certainly win the vote, and Erwin would get his way. If Andolin did swear the oath, then the Erwin and the entire Council were witnesses and the Major Domus was then bound to a certain code of conduct, one that the ambitious and arrogant Azarin would certainly chafe against.

He had been a puppet, and long before he ever would have set foot upon the dais. The Duke had played all of the candidates for fools, and now he had anyone and everyone that would assume that Seat bound before witnesses. It was brilliant. It was that moment when Ulder realized that if were to be elected to take the Seat, people would

Ulder once again took Tal-Alkeen, and for a heartbeat, he felt the pang of loss once more for the fallen Anochrim. He had used that edge to win Elaine's freedom and it was good to hold it once more. Ulder could almost hear the sword's voice, and he knew that the very heart and soul of blade could speak with his own.

He did not try to circumvent or put conditions on the oath, he simply stated the words that required of him.

"I take the oath freely, as I swore it when I put on a purple uniform and lived and bled for it already. I swear that if I am elected Caesar, I will serve the Empire and it's people to the best of my ability."

Simple, to the point, what was asked. Let them take it how they wished after that.

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The moment the sword was pulled free of its scabbards, the blade flared to life, fire crackling along its edge. As Andolin rose it high a soft murmur rose across the chamber, though a select few who had witnessed it before kept their calm. When the Major Domos spoke there was a moment of intense pain, a feeling of his muscles clenching hard around the hilt as his flesh burned, while he was unable to let go of the sword. He was not hurt, merely warned, three words ringing in his ears. “Mind the oath.”

As Ulder took the sword the fire seemed to die somewhat, the flames barely noticeable on the sword’s surface. As the oath was uttered the sword came to life once more, though it hesitated a flicker, though for a long moment it did not react. Once more the words came, though this time the former Captain was the sole person to hear them. “Mind the oath.” Both had been warned, both in different ways.

Erwin merely observed and smiled. Nothing more, nothing less. It was all going according to plan, though he could not help but glance towards his old enemy, and even older friend Silk, and arch a brow in silent challenge. He had been outwitted by the shrewd Secretary when Silk nominated Scatha, but he had made his return. Sadly, all he could do was try and reduce the damage already done, but it had worked well in the end. For despite his wealth and reputation of looking for himself first, Erwin needed the Empire and Empire needed him.

Silk was strangely quiet throughout the oath-swearing, and showed not a hint of what took place in his mind. He leaned closer to Manyana and listened to her whisper, as Andolin swore his oath, a small smile showing once more at the words. It was quite amusing how he twisted the words and did not swear the oath Erwin asked him to swear, quite unlike how Captain Ulder did it. There would be a need for a private audience with the Major Domos later, as Secretary needed to hear his protégé’s views of the situation. For now however, he remained quiet.

As both oath’s were given Erwin bowed to both candidates and took his seat once more, with Luther Dethrek grumbling something into his ear, causing the Duke to chuckle at them. Mairi was close enough to hear the words the old dwarf uttered. “Ye old bugger. That was sneaky, dirty and low. I like it. Now both those gits have to work good and if they complain ye just remind them.”

Hector stood, his brows furrowed, waiting for the oath taking to be over, his staff slamming the ground once more. “Both candidates present here today have spoken. Miss Ashtir will be summoned to do the same once her whereabouts are known.” A pause and then he was back to business. “Does anyone else wish to address the Council or can we get on with the vote. Captain Ulder, do you wish to address the Council before the vote? You have that right.”
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder stood, feeling the eyes of the people in the room on him. These were the most powerful people in the Empire, and now was his chance to tell them everything he wanted to say. Now was an open forum to change all of their minds about what they had done to the people of the city. This would be his only chance...

"Lords and ladies of the Empire..."

He paused, looking around, searching each face, looking deep within every pair of eyes. It was the eyes of the Duke where he realized an inalienable truth. Even if they voted him in, he could never be what they wanted. He could never be one of them.

"I will let my past service to this austere council speak for itself and my future. Thank you."

He sat down, fully satisfied in letting the room guess about his motives. Comfortable that he didn't engage in a battle that he could never win. Content to let the Council and Azarin wonder about everything that he was thinking about. There were those that would guess and wonder, let them. It might cost him an election, but he was determined not to let it cost him his soul.

Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

A bit surprised that the sword spoke to him, Andolin was glad that he spoke his oath carefully. Ulder gave the simple oath and replied simply to his chance to address the Council. Perhaps it was evidence that Ulder was nothing more than a simple man, but Andolin's paranoia led him to never try and underestimate an opponent. So, he would treat Ulder cautiously.

Given that Anochrim's sword -- now his -- did not betray him, Andolin felt certain that Ulder would not collect the votes necessary to become Caesar. Had the sword burned him or shown a clear preference for Ulder, that would have been different. That would have made Ulder the next Caesar, most likely. It was ironic that all the machinations of politicians could be undone by one not-so-simple sword.

It was now time for a vote. Andolin would be counting them as they went along. It went without saying that he would vote for himself.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The speech was simple and terse, and while the Council was trying to elect the next Caesar as soon as possible, Duke Erwin did not think it was that urgent. Still, he had put the wheels into motion and had offered a much more suitable counter-candidate for Andolin. One that was not tainted by the supposed association with Silk. As Hector slammed his staff into the floor once more, he kept quiet and nodded at Ulder to show his support, waiting for the voting to begin.

"Fellow Councilors. We have heard the oaths of both candidates present. The sword of late Caesar Anochrim has judged them both and as far as I can tell neither of them has been burned to ashes. Unless anyone else wishes to speak I suggest we cast our votes in the hopes of electing a new Caesar today." He paused here offering those gathered a chance to speak up, but none of them did. After half a burn has passed, he turned to Mistress Tabeann and nodded. "Very well then. By the power vested in me by my office I call upon those gathered here that hold the vote in the Imperial Council to name their choice for the future Caesar. Three candidates have been presented, two of those being present at this time. Scatha Ashtir, nominated by the Imperial Secretary Silk. Andolin Azarin, nominated by Lady Isis of Amun Rah. And Ulder Synkaaros, nominated by Duke Erwin von zu Dort-Biligh."

Another pause, much shorter this time and he started calling out names.
"Duke Erwin, as Viceroy of the East, whom do you support?"
"Ulder Synkaaros."
"To whom does the vote of the Viceroy of the West go, lady Isis?"
"Lord Azarin, of course.."
"General Stacco, whom does nation of Muchislie support?"
"Ulder Synkaaros." The reply came after a moment's hesitation.
"What of Odorex, Count de Besnie?"
"I vote for Lord Azarin, Chancellor." Count exchanged a look with the General before sitting down.
"Duke Erwin, whom does the island of Dort support?"
"Ulder, of course." This time the Duke remained standing as he had two more votes to cast.
"Lady Armstrong, who has the Islay vote?"
As soon as Mairi's vote was cast, Chancellor went on. "Thain Dethrek, who has the Nazareen vote?
"Captain Ulder this time."
"Who has the Amun Rah's vote, lady Isis?"
"Again Lord Azarin."
"Sheik Hassan, who has the vote of the Great Desert?"
Sheik rose and looked at the beautiful woman at his side. "Lord Azarin, Chancellor."
"Lady Duedhal, whom does Kislovan support?"
"Lord Azarin."
"Lord Anghiril, whom does....."
"The same as Lady Duedhal. Lord Azarin."
"Lady da'Yrsa. Who has Trothgard support?"
"Captain Ulder."
"Duke Erwin, who ha s Sierra's vote?"
"Ulder Synkaaros."
"Lady Isis, who has the vote of Oracle's Isle?"
"Lord Azarin for the third time."
"Lord Azarin, who gets the vote of Major Domus?"
There was little doubt for whom would Andolin vote, but Hector still waited.
The Chancellor cast the next vote taking a short breath before uttering. "My vote goes to current Major Domos."
"Lady Sosa, who gets the Imperial Commander's vote?"
"Captain Ulder does."
Secretary" Silk, to whom does your vote go?"
"Miss Ashtir." As he spoke Silk smiled widely, shaking his head slightly.
"Duke Erwin, you hold the vote of Treasurer. Who gets it."
"Ulder Synkaaros."
"Master Kwyll, who get the University of Magic vote?"
"Lord Azarin, Chancellor.
"Brother LeClair, who has the Abbey's vote?"
"Ulder Synkaaros."
"Lady Sosa, who gets the vote of Paladin's Order?"
"Captain Ulder."
"Mother Abeaja, who has the vote of the Order of the Mother?"
"Well, I still like Miss Ashtir's performance. So I vote for her."
"Lady Manyana, who has your vote?"
"Lord Azarin still has it."
With that done Hector turned and strode to Mistress Tabeann's side where they started adding the votes to reveal the final outcome.
Last edited by Grey Wolf on Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mairi Armstrong
Envoy

Post by Mairi Armstrong »

Mairi's heart swelled with pride as she was announced to the chamber. It was in a sense her greatest achievement yet, but at the same time marked the beginning of what she hoped would be a wonderful career.

She listened with interest to what both Lord Azarin and the new candidate, Ulder, had to say. This Captain Synkaaros was obviously a hero, as the speeches of Isis and the Duke suggested. The Duke seemed like an astute man, furthermore, and she believed he would choose the man he felt best for the job. However, he'd apparently been possessed by a demon - what to make of this?!

Undoubtedly Andolin was a skilled speaker. She'd had a taste of that when she'd met him. But of course she hadn't even had the chance to speak to Ulder, or this Miss Ashtir, who was nowhere to be seen!

She felt a burden upon her as they began to call names. The Duke had voted twice - for his own candidate of course. Could she afford to go against him, to create a rift within the Embassy? Andolin had made no commitment to her regarding her homeland, but the Duke of course would always have Islay in the back of his mind.

As they called her name she made a decision:

"Ulder Synkaaros" she said, clearly.

If she were in another position she might well have voted for Lord Azarin. But, as the newest member of the Embassy she didn't quite have the confidence to branch out on her own. As the votes came in, she realised that her choice didn't have much impact anyway - there clearly wasn't a large enough majority to name a Caesar on this day.
~The shadowy mountains and the echoing sea~
[size=75]avatar made from a photo by [url=http://www.sxc.hu/profile/alesia17]alesia17[/url][/size]
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

After he voted for himself and tallied the results, it was mostly a tie, with two votes going for Scatha believe it or not. Andolin sighed. At least he had received the Chancellor's vote. That was something.

Now it seemed that it would be a process of attrition in trying to get more votes. The Council was too deadlocked to have much hope for a quick decision, unless a fourth candidate came forward. But who?

Sitting back in his chair, Andolin held his tongue and began to scheme which votes he might win through negotiation. This battle was over, but there was a war looming ahead. There was still time.

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”