Wildfire

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Wildfire

Post by Syrawenn »

Gotta be in time, please please please gotta be in time!

Sweat was running down her neck, yet the girl did not notice. There was a frantic need to get to the burning town. Too many faces twirled around in her mind, the warning in her dreams as vivid as if it were yesterday.

There had to be a way to prevent more deaths from happening. There had to be a reason she dreamed of death before it happened. If it was not to try and stop it, what was it? If this was the gods' sense of humour, Syrawenn would find a way to repay them with a bit of her own jokes!

It didn't occur to her that others might have a different idea about her action. Used as she was to acting alone and standing alone in her views, she just ran as fast as she could to at least make a difference in someone's life.

Her breathing was up, as was her heartbeat, yet there was a thudding that fell outside of the rhythm of her heart.

Footsteps!

Someone followed. A quick look over her shoulder.

Gavin.
A warm glow made her perspire even more. He was coming! Maybe some of the others would to, but she was not running alone this time!

"Gavin! We gotta hurry!" The girl held in her pace slightly to make sure he could catch up.
[size=75]Gavin:She's the emerald eyed agent of chaos
Vanir:She's cute, it's her personality that gets in the way
Ulder:Syra is a great shredder of paralysis through analysis
Elvin:We call it the Law of Improbable Syrabilities
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Damn, that girl can run. Lots of practice. It was all he could do to keep up. Weight of his armor and sword pressing down upon his shoulder, sending jolts down his spine with each step he took. His clothes scratching him wherever the armor pressed it upon the skin. Sweat seeping out of every pore on his body.

Yet, he ran. Ran after her and refused to give up. As his lungs started to burn from exertion he pressed on. Just one burn more. That burn passed. Another burn. It passed. Another. On and on he went.

Sheer stubbornness kept him going. Ain't gonna let her get away. She will get tired. I am getting tired. So is she. She did not show it. She must have done a whole lotta running in her life. I ain't never gonna catch up. Picking up a pace, he called upon the last reserves he had. Yes, I am. Gonna catch her.

Then, she turned. Slowed down. Said something he did not understand cause of heartbeats thudding in his ears. He did not know where he found it, but he managed to speed up. enough to catch her. Placing a hand upon her shoulder, he tried to make her stop. "Slow......do.....do....down." He would not let go for anything in the world. "Hafne..... ten.....mi....mi...miles.....Can't.... run...."

The fire was too far away. Even if they managed to run all the way, by the time they got there, neither of them would be able to do anything. They needed to slow down, but still keep a decent pace. Only that way would they b able to actually do something when and if they managed to reach Islay capitol. This mad dash served no purpose. No purpose other than to tire them out.
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

In the end it was the sheer distance that wore them down, not to a standstill but at least to a trot. The burning town of Hafne was close to ten miles away from where they had spotted the smoke, and even the hardiest of warriors like Gavin, or the most lithe and athletic young women such as Syrawenn were eventually worn down by the constant shift and drop of running in such rough terrain.

It was a heroic effort by the pair, and in the space of a mark or perhaps a little longer, they reached the burning town of Hafne, with Syrawenn about a hundred paces ahead of the mighty Gavin as they came down out of the trees and passed the squatting refugees.

Down in the outskirts of town, the pandemonium and chaos of the battle was beginning to die down. A few frightened children ran in every direction, screaming for their mothers, their tears causing flesh colored rivulets down their smoke stained and dirty faces. Parents frantically searched and cried out futilely for their children. Animals scurried about without guidance or reign. Soldiers stood about in loose packs watching the towering flames and the huge columns of smoke trail off into the sky. Streams of refugees sat on the stony ground or in the sparse trees and watched their lives melt away in the flames.

The ground was littered with carnage and bodies of both highlander and soldiers alike. Everywhere one looked, bloody corpses could be seen. Here and there, villagers had been slain as well. The whole scene was like something out of a nightmare.

No one paid any attention to the newly arrived pair, they were all but indistinguishable from any other of the town's inhabitants.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

She had slowed down, even considerably so for her own doing. But the fire called her, the people down there called her. Slowly but surely she sped up again, only to reach the once proud town when they were far, far too late.

Shoulders sagged. Eyes grew big with disbelief.
Shock.

All that distinguished her and Gavin from the others was the lack of blackened faces. Something else that differed was attitude, of which the girl had plenty. Attitude enough to funnel the growing range and impotence to be here in time into something that might be constructive.

"Too late." She mumbled. "Gods be damned, too late. Bunch of stupid, ignorant, overinflated, FATHEADS! One of these days I will be in time. One of these days I'm gonna find out why this is all happening, but right now we got some WORK to do."

We....flippin netherbats on a charred stick, there's a 'we' involved this time. Scary.

"C'm on, Gavin, let's do something useful here! Gotta get those families together."

Straightening up her eyes turned a fiery green as her face set itself into stubborness. Nobody was doing anything useful around her except make it all worse! The soldiers looked slightly less worse than the rest and the girl ran up to them.

"Hey! You there! Help me out here. Start herding those kids over here so the parents can find em! If everyone keeps running, it won't work anyway! Come on!" A gesture with her arms and the hyperactive youngster set to work, trying to steer the frightened kids towards a place away from the fire where they could sit down until their parents found them. Of course it was going to be chaos, but it was worth a shot.

"Come on! All kids over here! We're gonna find yer parents together or they will find you if you just stick to this place! Over here! Come on, we'll help you find yer parents. Stick together, safety in numbers!"

If there were any older kids around it might be worth trying to get them to keep an eye on the younger ones while Syrawenn went over to the grown ups to get them to the same place. "Mister, ma'am! We're trying to get all kids over there. Please, come and have a look. Maybe if you stand over there your own kiddies will come there too! "

If words alone did not work, she was not too shy to tug sleeves and push towards the impromptu assembling place. Somehow they had to get away from the corpses and the burning and towards each other. If they met in the middle, all the better, but there had to be a stream of parents and children towards each other instead of in every direction possible.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

It was Hell. By the time they emerged from the trees he felt like he was being cooked alive. He could taste blood in the back of his throat and his entire body ached. But, he kept up and almost caught up with her by the end. Driven by sheer defiance, Gavin would rather drop dead than give up. That was not an option. A hundred more paces..... Ninety...... Eighty..... Seventy..... Sixty..... Fifty.... Forty....Thirty....Twenty....Ten.... A hundred.... Ninety..... He kept pushing on. One step at a time, forcing his body to obey. Proving time and time again that mind ruled over body.

And then they emerged from the trees and he saw the scene that made him shiver. What he and Abner tried to stop still happened. And this time it was not his fault. He did his best. Went to the Clans. Tried to talk to them. The Count had no faith in him. In them. No matter the fact that he failed in his mission of peace. The Count did not wait for the news of his failure. He went on. Attacked. How can there be peace, if he attacks while his emissaries are on route? How can he hope the Clans will listen now? How could he do this to Hafne?

He stared at the burning city The place he called home not so long ago. "Mother....." He whispered that single word, when Syrawenn snapped him out of his reverie. Nodding once he looked over the city and then back at her. "You're right. Let's go." Her eagerness was refreshing. her refusal to give up sparked his own. Smiling one last time, the tall Dortman strode after the girl he followed through Hell only to emerge into another, and his face became a grim mask of determination.

His voice boomed over the field like a sledgehammer. "You heard the lady! MOVE IT!" She seemed to have the refugees under control so he took it upon himself to take care of the soldiers. Striding to the biggest group of them that stood relatively close by, he started yelling even before he reached them. "What in the Nether are you standing around for. Hop to it. Gather the civilians. I want that clearing there to be prepared for the wounded. Gather all the blankets and sleeping pallets you can find and start looking. Everyone who looks like they might live I want placed there. See if you can find something suitable for healing supplies. Water, bandages, clean fabric. Start up a fire and heat the water. If anyone has any liquor, I want it gathered on a pile. COME ON. Don't make me repeat myself"

Selecting a trio of least ragged looking soldiers he strode to them and continued his tirade. "You three. There was a farmstead about two miles that way." He pointed to the south between a pair of hills. "Go there and convince the owner to lend you his wagon or cart. Load hay, water and food on it and bring it here. Tell him to come along and that I will pay for it. And I mean convince him. If you do anything stupid I WILL find you and kill you myself. GO!"

Selecting another soldier he kept on. "You. Move around the city. See if you can find more troops to send them this way. Night is coming and we need to protect the refugees. If you run across the Count Johann, tell him that Gavin Tylvan returned and that he has news for him. Got that?" He did not wait but turned to move onward. Time to take care of civilians now. Help Syra.

Moving to intercept the first youngster to come his way, he scooped him in his arms and picked him up. "Shhhhhh, little one. It will be okay. Let us go find your mommy. Okay?" Now, he knew that he could look scary to the children with his beard and armor and sword, but he did try his best to calm the little guy. Holding him close, he whispered soothing words to him, looking or someone who might look like a mother with a lost child.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

It was perhaps a blessing that many of the townsfolk had fled the area before the attack began. The road to Dort was a river of people, wagons and horses and many turned to look back at the pair that were now shouting at the lingering dozens.

The townspeople reacted to Syrawenn's urgings in a variety of ways. Some were distrustful and scared and clung to each other in fear as they hurried away from the chaotic young girl. Others reacted in anger, shouting curses and shaking their fists at her, demanding that she leave them alone. Some sat huddled in shock and were totally unresponsive. A few seemed to be insprired by her and took up her quest. With additional help and extra hands and eyes, mothers and children, husbands and wives and sisters and brother were beginning to be reunited. Most gave the girl a smile or an appreciative pat on the shoulder, one little boy of perhaps five or six yahren gave her a shy hug after being reconnected with his father. Many took the few belongings they had left and set off on the road to the capital.

The soldiers were a bit more resistant. They had been ordered by the count himself to stand watch over the entrances and remaining citzens of Hafne. The fish oils and the whiskey had made great fuel for the fires, and some burned so hot that the soldiers had been instructed to keep others away until they had burned themselves out. These were orders given by the man who paid them, so they were reluctant and resistant to follow anyone else.

Gavin had them moving and working to fulfill his orders, but it had taken a good deal of cajoling, intimidation and presence to get them to follow his instructions. He had an impromptu infirmary and a even a few healers arranged, supplies were being gathered and arranged, and a few cookfires burning by the time Johann arrived.

He was walking and looking haggard and grim. A bandange was wrapped around his shoulder and arm to hold it in place. There was blood in the cloth where he was bleeding though the bindings from a wound. Captain Willows limped beside him. The Captain looked as if he had been walking through a slaughterhouse, he was caked with blood and mud and he had a strip of bloody cloth over one eye, as well as wrapped around one thigh. A cadre of dirty and tired looking soldiers surrounded the Count and the Captain, their blades nicked and notched, their shields battered and split, and their spirit wounded and weary.

"Ah... Tylvan... I see you survived your encounter with the Highlanders. It seems you fared well enough."

"Better than us." Willows interjected. The Count gave him a stern look and continued.

"I was told you come bearing news..." He prompted the large warrior without so much as a comment or any other acknowledgement of the work that Syrawenn and Gavin had performed. He gave the girl a cursory nod.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

It was a difficult scene for Gavin. His eyes searched for one particular person amongst those he tried to help. His mother Liana lived in Hafne and he was half hoping he would see her on the road amongst refugees and half dreading that possibility. Please let her be alright. Please, whoever is listening, let her be alright. Still, a sense of duty pushed him on, making him hold back the urge to go and find her. These people needed help. And even though he was hardly the man to do so, he took up the task since nobody else seemed eager to do it. Nobody, but the auburn haired girl with a fiery temper.

He tried to be everywhere. Where kind words did not work, he used threats. He even begged a few times, but it was working. And it felt good. Finally something was working okay and people were cooperating. Helping each other. It felt good to see such a thing, even though it was not a pretty scene. As the infirmary was set up, he did not just stand idle, putting his modest skill to good use. He let the ore experienced healers handle the difficult cases, limiting his meddling to simpler wounds and burns. Had there be no others he would have tackled even the more serious cases, but as it was he was only there to help.

Mostly he was busy cajoling the people to cooperate. He never considered himself a great leader of men, but his voice carried power and he was not reluctant to use it. He tried to use reason and persuade people to help. Sometimes it worked, but at others he had to use less subtle methods. All, in all he was pretty satisfied with what he accomplished, when his gaze fell upon the Count. Wiping blood of his hands, the tall man stood up and left the further care of the wounded to the healers. With slow, sure steps he walked towards Johann, and stopped about five or so paces away.

With an almost impolite nod, he greeted the wounded man before him. "It's good to see you are still alive, sir." His eyes went to the still burning Hafne and then back to the Count. "I see you have decided not to wait on my news. No matter. It did not work." An almost sad gaze fell on the Captain. "I am not so sure how well I fared. Betrayed.... poisoned....held prisoner....sent off like a dog....." His eyes went back to the Count, accusation clear in them. "I return to find that I was never expected to succeed. Almost makes me think I was to be a distraction, while the original plan went on. Just a foolish man with a dream of peace. An idiot. A sorry fool, who thought he could change everything, but everyone knew that he was delusional."

Taking a deep breath, his eyes went to Syrawenn and Gavin's features became grim. Expressionless. Gone was the self-pity. Gone was the desperation. Defiance and will to fight burned in his eyes. A growl sounded low in his throat, as his fists clenched. Eyes fixed upon the Count, he used every last ounce of anger he had left to fuel his determination. "Howland, the man sent as my guide. He was of MacGregors. The dead Clan. He and three others. They betrayed us along the way. Whisked two of the recruits from the Camp at night. Drugged us when we got closer. On the twenty fourth. Two days later we woke up. There was to be a War Council and we were to speak at it. Only, it did not work that way."

Pointing back towards the mountains he continued. "You have not been honest to me, sir. You already had troops up there. And they were doing terrible things. We came upon the corpse of a woman. Her skin flayed. Strip by strip. Strung between two threes by steel wires. Skinned alive." Another sigh. "A man named Duncan said my whole trip was a test. That I failed. That time they captured two of the man given to me. I wanted to go after them. It was a test to see how much the peace meant to me. I admit I may have made a mistake then. I reconsidered though. Went on, after Howland assured me they were okay. Now, I know why he did so. He was the one who took them."

"The other test came when we found the woman. A horrid sight. I burned her body. Gave her a proper burial. They said I failed that as well. That I disrespected their customs. But, that is of small consequence. Something else is much more important. The ones that did it. They were your troops. The Red Bears. Seems they have been doing this for quite some time. Seems they are the ones that got the Clans so riled up. Seems they may even have a reason for the rebellion this time. Seems like someone should keep better reins on his own troops. Don't you think so, sir?" Oh, it was highly dangerous. Highly inappropriate. And he highly did not care.

"But, it matters not now. The war has started. I am glad you managed to dest..... liberate Hafne." He was frustrated. Disappointed. And he was getting way ahead of himself. "I did manage to talk to someone. Man named Milkhaire. Shaman of the MacGregors. He promised to show us something important. Was very cryptic about it. Something that might unite us. Sadly, we were sidetracked by the signs of Hafne burning. Decided to help these people a bit." With a sigh, he closed his eyes.

"I am sorry, sir. I am a bit frustrated. It seems like nothing I do works out well. And there is more. Clans are not your only problems. Foreign soldiers were spotted on the shore. That girl over there..." He pointed at Syrawenn. "She saw them. Talk to her. This is much more complicated than it seems. Remember that assassin Abner and I killed? I think there are more. Lead by a woman. Some sort of a witch. Too many sides to this. And too few people cooperating. I am not done yet. But, I need you to want.... Truly want the peace. I'll make the Clans listen. But, Hafne must not happen again. How does it look if you attack while someone is trying to negotiate a peace? Don't it make that man look like a distraction? Like a bait?"

He looked at the man's arm and sighed. "You are hurt, sir. Come. Sit down. Let me take a look at that while we talk. Gods know I am almost out of ideas. I think the biggest problem is the lack of communication. Tell me what you wish, and let me find out what the Clans wish. They ARE your people, sir. I truly think there can be a lasting peace. But, it needs to be accomplished with words. Not with swords. Not like this." He pointed at Hafne. "That was your town. My home. Think of it. Was the burning of Hafne something you wanted? Was it what Clans wanted? Or did it simply happen?" He waited, with a questioning glance at the Count. Waiting. Hoping.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Syrawenn did not mind the anger and frustration of the people around her. Nether, it was what fuelled her most of the time, so why would it not work for these townsfolk? Instead she relished any curse and foul gesture as proof that they were still alive and willing to fight.

Her determination was paying off as slowly but surely people started to find each other instead of running away in opposite directions. A huge grin broke the grim expression on her face, her arms awkwardly around the little boy for the merest flicker after he found his father.

It was chaos, but at least it was a kind of organized chaos by now and that she could handle just fine. The girl shrugged off the soldiers' lack of response, seeing Gavin manage just fine.

Another grin and that funny feeling of bats tumbling in her stomach while she was sure she had chewed her food quite diligently. It was nuts: there he was ordering people around and organizing stuff and somehow it made her feel good. Generally the girl loathed people who commanded others, for the simple fact that she loathed authority. In fact, Syrawenn was pretty sure that if he tried ordering her around, he'd have a fist up his nose before long. Yet this was okay. It was a rotten situation, and he handled it okay, despite the way he had been treated in the last couple of days.

Days....shit, time really got screwed up on every possible side. What the flip are we doing...what are we supposed to do...which god is laughing this time?

Anger returned to her grey eyes, green fire sparkling as suddenly a new form of authority arrived. It had to be. There was no mistaking the way the man handled himself or the way someone always stayed close. Question was: who was it?

Gavin answered it by his actions alone and Syrawenn's fists clenched. So THIS was the moron that had sent the big guy out for that stupid quest. This was the batfood that thought he had the right...

Okay, he probably did have the right, but that still was no excuse to send Gavin out for nothing!

A nod.
She received a nod.
Her jaw set itself in determination as she took a quick look at his outfit. There was too much armour there to do a good toe-stamping and those guys around him looked a tad bit too deadly to go for the treasured uppercut.

She'd have to wait.

He fared WELL enough? Just cause you got yer arm in a sling? He fared WELL enough? Bloody bats on a very pointy stick you have no IDEA what he went through!

Her blood was boiling. Forgotten was the aimless travel through time and spae by manipulative gods, forgotten was the pain and frustration of yahren past. Right now her anger was aimed at the man who had picked on the guy of her dreams.

HE IS NOT THE GUY OF MY DREAMS
yes he is

Of course this did not help.

Gavin took up the conversation admirably. He did not even punch the count! Syrawenn just stood to the side, grumbling and muttering under her breath while she pretended to be useful. Why was that beard still trying to make sense of it all? Why not just ditch the count and let him figure it out for himself? The clans would not listen, the count would not listen. It sounded like a match made in Aether!
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Captain Willows had his sword half out of it's sheath before the Count placed a steadying arm on the man's shoulder to halt him. The Captain begrudgingly obeyed and instead stood there glowering.

Count Johann took in Gavin's words with a measured gaze. In his eyes there was a sparkle of something lurking just under the surface. There was a terrible and remarkable fury there, barely contained.

"So, how lovely." He began, his voice tight and restrained, full of wounded sarcasm.

"I...we... survive the worst ambush in a hundred yahren only to be called liars and accused of treachery. So sorry to disappoint you young Gavin. So sorry I stood and waited on the outskirts of the city for two days, waiting for a sign from you. So sorry I gathered up my men like a fool so we could be easily outflanked, surrounded and attacked, and you feel as if I never expected you to succeed. So sorry we fought and bled and died to give your mission a chance to succeed, and you feel so fucking unappreciated."

He spat on the ground. A gesture of disgust and futility.

"I knew Howland was of the MacGregors, why else would I send you with him? I knew he had a inroad with this Milkhaire fellow, and that you would be face to face with him sooner rather than later. I knew I could get you straight to the source so you could bring him back. Either that or you could speak with with him with my voice, on my behalf. Of course they were going to test you. Howland and I spoke about this and let's be honest now shall we? I warned you well beforehand. I warned you to stay true, and to stay alert, keep to yourself and just do the job."

He shook his head in anger and frustration. He gestured to the fires.

"So, you think I wanted this? You think I was the one who did this? This was my home. These were my people. What could I possibly gain for myself and for the Duke by burning this town to the ground? What kind of miserable bastard do you take me for?"

There was perhaps a heartbeat that passed before he answered his own question.

"Let me spare you from having to ponder an answer to that question. Whatever you take me for, I'm no fool, and I'm no traitor. And I won't be accused of such from the likes of you. You are tired, and beaten, and I'll take your words as desperation, and not as a true account of your feelings. If you still believe this way in the morning, you'll have two options. Ride away or have your head seperated from your neck."

He turned to walk away, but before he did, he glanced over his shoulder for one last remark.

"Your mother is safe and well and having dinner in my tent. I'm sure she will be anxious to see you. I shan't be there. I have a town to rebuild. Fare well Gavin Tylvan."

With that he turned and stalked off into the smoky ruins. Willows stayed cautious and alert, and nodded for his men to do the same. Clearly they were taking no chances. Slowly they faded away and left him and Syrawenn standing alone.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Syrawenn looked from the one big guy to the other. Accusations and feelings of betrayal thickened the air. There were stories and counterstories, lots of guesses and conclusions that were perfectly logical, but stabbed the other where they could not take another wound. She knew how they felt. She felt it most of the time. She knew how they fought each remark with a repartee that would show the OTHER one right.

The girl had been there.
Most of the time.
Too much time.

And now it was screwing things up once again. The girl sighed. There was no way anyone was going to do anything effective this way and she for one was never too scared to apologize...so she took a chance. Maybe they’d hit her for it, in which case she’d give as good as she got. Maybe they’d laugh at her. She rubbed her knuckles.

“RIGHT.” She yelled, hopefully hard enough for all betrayed parties to hear. “That’s it. Wonderful. So everyone is mad at everyone and thinks they were betrayed and feel betrayed and feel horrible and feel they should specifically hit back as hard as they can cause after all NO one can ever be so right as they are, right? Well, GUESS what, yer prolly BOTH right, I dunno...but I DO know that it’s nuts as allies to keep giving each other ultimatums! How about giving each other a tiny bit of slack for a change, eh?”

She raised a warning finger. Not caring what they thought of her. “I’m not saying one of you is right or wrong, mind ya. Yer both trying to prove SO hard that you were right and you were betrayed by the other that yer BOTH forgetting what exactly we’re HERE for! The more we fight amongst each other, the less we’ll do. So PULEEZE do yerself a favour and please please pretty please just take a moment to breathe and realize this is ALL getting to us? Yeah? And we STILL mean to do well? Sure, I got my opinions, sure I’ve been wrong a lot. But I’m thinking I ain’t wrong in this. Stop accusing each other and start TALKING, please! No more of the ‘njeh njeh I warned you I was right you are stupid no you are stupid’ garbage, please. We’re here on business, not to win some pride contest!”

The girl felt horrible. Here there were options to win. Here there were options to make something out of a mess and it all went wrong because of a few bad moods and nasty words. Her eyes flared as she kept both parties in sight. “We’re not perfect. None of us are. Can we just say sorry and get on with it? I’ll start even though you prolly wonder who the flip I am to be talking like this. Well, I’ll tell ya, I’m Syrawenn, an absolute nobody in rank or hierarchy and I’m here to save the Koreymen. I’m sorry for a LOT of nasty things I thought about you, mister count, and I’ll withdraw those nasty thoughts until I got the FULL story and I’ll even TRY to stop exploding for the time being. Okay? Now, can we stop the beheadings and put our heads together for a good talk? We’ve got a war to stop!”

Another deep sigh. Syrawenn was trembling on her legs. Right now she’d have much preferred to just run away and be done with it. If they wanted to show off their wounded pride at each other, so be it, but there was always more than one side to a story and she’d be damned if she’d pass up on either side!

“Oh and if you feel like telling me off for trying to tell some big bad officer what he should do, go ahead. But just...”

Frustration, inability to find the right words. Syrawenn’s hands motioned as if wanting to draw the magic sentence out of thing air. “Just give each other a break and talk....please.” She ended lamely, throwing her hands up in the air and moving back. The girl was sure there was some nice tree somewhere with her name on it.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

He did not listen. No listen for real. He only heard parts of what Gavin had said. The bad parts. Parts that meant nothing. He misread Gavin's questions. He read wrong his words. He DID NOT listen. He never said the Count wanted that. He never said he burned Hafne on purpose. Gavin tried to provoke him into thinking. And once more he failed. Count Johann started thinking, but he thought of the wrong things. Listen you FOOL. Listen. I am not insulting you. I saved your fucking life. I bled for you. I would have died for you. But, only if I agree with what you are fighting for. This is not it. And you know it. So, why are we fighting?

Gavin said nothing. He did not even move. Only shook his head sadly. Two things stung badly. The death threat and the mention of his mother. The threat almost made Gavin reconsider. Almost made him do the wrong thing. Almost made him hate Johann. Knuckles cracked as the big man folded his hands into fists, lips curling back to reveal his teeth. A snarling wolf. Almost. No. I won't do it. You said it yourself. I am tired and beaten. we both are. Go away. And think. So shall I. And perhaps we shall talk again in the morning. Perhaps.

He did not wait for the soldiers to fade away. As soon as the Count turned so did Gavin. It was laughable. It only showed the extent of miscommunication. The extent of misunderstanding. He needed time to think. To see his own mistakes. To calm down. To witness something good. Something joyful. And to be the one who helped it come true. "Fare thee well, Johann von Bleibhier." He whispered those words as he walked back to the wounded. Keeping his hands busy for a while would make him relax. Allow him to think. Allow him to find a way. A new way. Because the old one was not working.

He stopped. As Syra spoke, Gavin stopped and looked at her. Looking and saying nothing. Waiting for it to end. Realizing that is just what he thought mere flickers ago. We need to talk. But, more than that we need to listen. Both of us. I am trying to learn to do so. It is hard. And I bloody won't be the only one trying. Screw you Johann if you don't give it a try. I'll go to Milkhaire. he listens. Then you can have my head. Or I can have yours. But, first we talk once more. In the morning.

So, the big man waited for Syrawenn to finish and then slowly walked to her. Placing a hand on her shoulder he tried to move her away. Towards the refugees. "Come on. Let's go. Leave him for now. Give him that moment." He looked her in the eyes and nodded. "You are right, but so is he and so am I." A weak smile was all he could muster. "Remember how you get mad when people don't listen. You taught me to do it." The smile disappeared to be replaced with a frown. "He is right. I am tired. And beaten. But, I am also stubborn. And I am not giving up."

Looking after the Count he motioned with his chin. "But, he is also tired. And hurt. and beaten. I mentioned miscommunication. He went over that. Saw only the bad stuff I said. Even interpreted good stuff as bad. Cause he is tired and beaten and looking an excuse for what happened. Just like I did." There was a sigh and a pause. "Let's give him some time. Till the morning. Let him think. I will think too. Let's help these people. They need it. and I think better when my hands are busy." One more week smile. "And then we can go see how Liana is doing. For a flicker there I even saw his mention of her as a bribe. As an accusation. Like I did that for you and this is how you thank me. He tried to help. Made sure my mom is safe." He shrugged one last time and left her to follow or stay behind.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Of course the count would not react. After all, she was exactly who she said she was : a bloody nobody named Syrawenn. What good was that to some stiff noble who was convinced of his own right simply by holding some stupid title?

Shuddup, now yer making the same stupid mistakes ya threw in their faces...just...shuddup and get the nether out of here already. Yer just making stuff worse.

Giant snakes wurming their way through a city. People dying in the flames as a thousand voices cried out for justice.

It was so bloody appliccable to what had happened here! Yet in the dream the voices had asked her to help. They had lent her their strength -or had she used them by simply acknowledging their existance?- and given her the edge to stand against the darkness.

This time she was simply on her own.
As usual.
Her eyes found Gavin, before quickly looking away again.
Maybe not all on my own.
Maybe.

And who represented the darkness?

It was giving her a headache. A good kick and some grass went flying. Too many people were hurting here. Too many people looked so lost. The youngster felt terrible being close to so much pain and suffering.

I'll...never complain again...for me its just some lousy dreams and a nutcake dad, for them it's their LIFE. Subconsciously her hand went to the scarf that hid the scar. Somehow it was hard to accept that it might be about her life too. It was so much easier to care about others' troubles, so much easier to get mad and simply HELP them instead of standing by and complaining about unfair life.

"Screw them all." She muttered, just before Gavin's hand landed on her shoulder. She shrugged it off out of habit. " Yea yea yea, everyone is right. Then why does it feel so WRONG!"

Yup, much easier to get mad.

Other words registered. Words that spoke of being tired. She noticed the frown, the merest hint of a smile. Here was another reason for her never to complain about her petty problems again. Here was a man who fought for what he believed in and did not give up OR run away.

Oooh you're such a wuss! Ya were thinking of running off again, eh? A blush of embarassment was quickly turned into a flash of anger.

Syrawenn had trouble breathing, having to face all these homeless -and possibly family-less- people. With Gavin mentioning his mother, it only got worse.

Okay, at least she's fine...damnit...he never even mentioned the possibility of her being in trouble...if I had not run here, would he have? Would he? What the flip is going on? What is the bigger picture? Is this just diversion again? But I couldn't stay away! Not when there was finally a chance...

But they had been too late yet again.
Too late.

Her face turned towards the ground the young girl did her utter best not to fall into the darker side of her moodswings. She clamped her jaws together so hard that it hurt her teeth.

"Go to yer mom already! Would be stupid not to. I'll handle stuff here. I'm good at stuff."

People lost in the flames. Families torn apart. Scarred for life.

Not gonna cry not gonna cry not gonna cry oh shit not gonna cry.

Wow, I suck at so many things.

The first to make a wrong remark was going to meet Syrawenn's frustrated fists.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

"No." Such a simple answer. Said it all. He was staying around. For a bit longer. Yet, there was need to explain. It was Syrawenn and she was good at interpreting stuff her way.Once more something made him know that for a fact. Sheesh. Does she know stuff about me too? Those were thoughts better left alone. At least for now. There was no time to talk mushy now. Maybe later. When peace comes. Deep down the big man knew the answer to that. And it made him feel all warm inside. If she knew all that and was still around meant she liked him. He needed that. Especially now.

"Liana....My mum is fine." He looked at the people standing around. "They are not. I help them first. Then we can go." Eyes went to Syrawenn again and remained there for several flickers allowing the words to sink in. "Cause you are coming along." Nodding sagely he continued walking towards the wounded people. "Come on. People need us to help. Count left to rebuild. See if you can get food. I'll go back to the wounded." Once more he shook his head. "Stupid people. This did not help." He was growing melancholy once more, but refused to give in. He had an anchor now and she had auburn hair.

The tall man moved back to the wounded and got back to treating them to the best of his abilities. Cuts and bruises he could handle, but the rest was beyond him. He was there to assist the healers though. After what he saw the past few days, there was very little that could unnerve Gavin. Wounds and blood weer certainly not one of those things. Using his voice to convince and force people to cooperate he tried to take care of all those that needed help. Regretting the fact that he still did not know how the battle ended. Who won? Where are the Clansmen? Who burned the city? How did Count know who Liana was?
Doran
Civus

Post by Doran »

Doran arrived to what was left of Hafne. Bodies everywhere, children screaming ,women sobbing over loved ones lost. Yes this victory had cost the Count alot and by the looks of the townsfolk it was going to keep on costing in the time to come.

Death and despair seemed to be skipping and holding hands here. So many families homeless so many futures gone. You could see on the looks on there faces all hope was gone.

All he wanted was to report to the Count, get a hot meal and some rest. It seems the third part of his plans was lost. That was the only thing he was sure of. Unless of course he wanted eternal rest there seemed to be and over abundance of that around here.

Looking around he saw a soldier laying dead with spear in chest and the day events came rushing back. He tried to help the lieutentant and there was no chance of him reaching Vale in time. There mission had been travesty at best and in back of his mind he wondered if he was going to be punished for failing, but he pushed that thought out what was done was done and there was no going back now.

After few minutes of fruitless looking he finally managed to find what he thought was Count's tent. He looked at the soldiers standing guard, dismounted and tied Polly near. Looking up at them he said "I am Doran Norwec son of Duran under Lieutentant Craigh's command I need to be permitted to speak with the Count ."
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

The girl wanted to roll her eyes at Gavin and stick out her tongue at his insane logic, but instead she nodded. He was right, of course. There were people in need and if he knew his mother was safe, she'd be safe for a couple of marks longer.

Then the 'we' registered. Syrawenn stopped in her tracks and turned to the man, glaring at him from under her eyebrows. "Scuse me?"

The effect was completely lost since Gavin kept walking. Cursing under her breath the girl followed him quickly. "Dontcha want some private time with yer mom then?" She tried, her stomach turning several times. The youngster was not very good with people. She was even worse with family and now she'd have to meet this mom of this guy that she really liked?

It was a lucky break that the man asked her to find something along the lines of eddibles. It gave Syrawenn a moment to mull things over.

"Shit..." She mumbled. Mothers were protective. Mothers always thought they knew what was best for their child. A mother was never gonna stand for the strange friendship that had built through dreams. Which mother would? And then there was the little detail of the friendship perhaps maybe by accident not on purpose being a little more than just friendship. Which mother would not freak out at the idea of her precious son being affiliated with....

With the likes of me...

Ah screw it all. I'll find an excuse. No way I'm gonna enter that tent! Noooo way! Ain't gonna mess up happy reunions, no siree!

Working her way around the city limits the smell of burning wood and flesh was strong.

Syrawenn swallowed.

Find food..food...bread...meat....burned...dead...all dead...

She swallowed again. The world turned very quickly for just a flicker, but it was just enough to find herself back, squatted behind a tree as she once again emptied her stomach in a most unelegant way.

The dead, the wounded...the entire burning city! It was too much for the girl for who that one funeral pyre had been news already. Syrawenn had travelled through time, had stood before gods, uppercutted an avatar...and in the face of so much pain throwing up in hiding while tears streamed down her cheeks.

If at all possible the girl would find someone else to help her find and bring the eddibles, because right now all she wanted to do was curl up and disappear. The dreams had won again. People were dead and not a damn thing she could do about it.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The Count actually turned and listened to Syrawenn as she spoke. His eyes narrowed at her words and he let her finish without interruption. The Count whispered something in the ear of Captain Willows, and the two nodded in agreement. Instead of words, he gingerly bowed to her, a gesture of acceptance and respect, but nothing was immediately done about what she said or responded to in any way, and the Count and his men retreated.

It was well into the night when the wounded were tended to and the dead were cared for. Food and supplies had been gathered, and as many that could be reunited with their families had been. Fires still burned white hot in a few places, but most of the fires had died down to ruddy coals and smoldering hot spots. The healers had worked long and hard, and only a few cries of pain still carried out into the darkness.

A report finally came from one of those who worked tirelessly to aid the wounded and hurt to the man who had taken charge of the corps of Healers and a nearby guard The guard was summoned to report the findings back to the Count.

More than a thousand were dead, about a third of which were Clansman that had been in the town before it was attacked. Nearly twice that in wounded, including what the man called, a "very special" prisoner. Apparently the Clansman in charge of the rebellion in the town had been captured after losing his mount, and having a leg crushed underneath it. The prisoner was under heavy guard and seemed to take in his surroundings with a sad and defeated expression. He was a veteran looking man, old enough to have a few years of experience, and young enough to do something with it. His kilt was bloody and torn, and his leg was wrapped to the middle of his thigh with a bandage that was thick and rife with his blood.

The healers thanked Gavin and Syrawenn several times, and the pair were ultimately dismissed by the leader. He personally thanked them again for their loyal service, and promised them some sort of reward after he spoke with the Count. He smiled sadly and went back to check on his patients. Gavin and Syrawenn were now free to pursue whatever path they chose.

Doran found the Count's tent empty, but after he introduced himself he was ushered to a place where the Count could be found.

Johann was wounded and weary, a sling held his arm and he had bled into it. It dripped on the remains of a wall where he sat, overlooking the smoking remains of a large building next to a trickling stream of water. The press of dead bodies loomed larger here. More dead littered the rubble filled streets here. Laid out in grim rows by the healers and workers.

Captain Willows was at the Count's side, and the Captain fared less well than the Count. He had lost an eye in the battle, and limped from a wounded leg as well. He had put on a fresh tabard, so above the waist he was clean and crisp, but below the waist still showed the horrors of the fighting he must have been involved in. He smiled grimly when he saw Doran. A smile that was quickly lost in concern for the others that had set out on a very special mission. He waved for Doran to come forward and gave a nearby guard a glowering look of fury when the guard stepped in front of the hardy warrior to block his access to the Count. Willows shoved the guardsman aside and bade Doran to come forth.

"Come, come..." He said anxiously. "Let's hear how you have killed that traitorous bastard. The Count could use some good news."

And just like that, Doran found himself at the side of Count Johann once more. The Count looked at Doran, an almost dazed expression on his face. He looked weary and worn, not at all the handsome, dashing figure that Doran had been a few nights earlier. This was a pale imitation of that man. A shade.

"Well, son of Duran. Look at this pile of firewood. This was once my home. This was once my house. A pitiful thing it is now eh? But, listen to me prattle on. Tell me your tale. Surely its not as sad as this...."
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

By the time they got back to Hafne, Amber was thoroughly exhausted. Whatever energy the fight had not taken out of her had been consumed by her flight back to safety. She wandered into the town on unsteady legs, her eyes slightly glassly, sweat running down her cheeks and neck in narrow rivulets.

When she saw the carnage, she wished she'd just kept on running.

Blood and bodies everywhere. Clansman, soldiers, villagers... some young enough that they could have been children. Finally it was too much. Too much blood. Too much death. Too much horror for the young farmgirl to handle. Her innocence made a resurgence, even as it died little more, and she soon found herself on her hands and knees in the grass off to one side, vomitting rather violently for several moments. Partly from pure exhaustion and over exhertion, but mostly from the horror.

She managed to stagger back to her feet, looking for the rest of her group. She saw Doran headed for some sort of tent, but she didn't feel like following. She suddenly wished she was at home, about to take a hot bath in privacy and comfort, looking forward to her warm bed immediately after. Someplace far away from this. With familiar faces, and loving words and comforting embraces, assuring her that all of this was some kind of bad dream.

But it wasn't a dream. It was her adventure. Her nightmare.

She went down again, unable to will herself to move any farther. She just sat there, barely able to keep her eyes open, unable to think anything coherent. She needed to find someplace to rest... someplace safe, out of the way...
Cowgirls Exotica's "Queen of Hearts" - 2008
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

It was a long day. The work was gruesome and Gavin found himself unable to eat. He kept working on the poor men and women who have suffered injuries, doing his best to ease their pains with what little supplies he had. As the supplies filtered in and more people helped, the tall man felt a bit better, but he did not stop until deep into the night. Suddenly he found himself with nothing to do. Nobody required attention or needed to be treated. It was a dreadful thought, but he was using those injured people not to think of what happened. And now, he was once more without a distraction.

Wiping his blood covered hands on a piece of cloth the tall man stood and took a deep breath. The air was heavy with the smell of blood and stale sweat, but he did not pay attention to it. Nodding to the healer as he spoke, Dortman shook his head. "Reward? For doing what is right?" His eyes took in the wounded lying around. "Do whatever you want." He was unsure if he wanted the Count to know what he did. What they did. He truly did not care. "I don't need a reward." Not from Count Johann. I need him to listen. And to hear him speak. "But, you make the call. Come on, Syra. Let us go find Liana. The Count said she was in his tent."

Casting a questioning glance at girl, the tall warrior started walking towards the place where Count departed. He waited to see if the girl would follow, but was not about to force her. His eyes almost begged her to come, but he said nothing. Simply walked slowly towards the tents, giving her time to catch up. She knew where to find him. In truth he dreaded the meeting with his mother. He left her mere weeks ago and even though he knew she was alive and well, Gavin felt like he betrayed her in a way. The tall man knew he was doing the right thing, but it was his mother. He should have been there to protect her.

It was then that his eyes caught a figure sitting next to the path. A familiar figure. Amber? What the...... Then her uniform registered in his mind. Red Bears? You of all people? For a flicker he pondered simply walking away, leaving her there. He felt she betrayed him somehow, by putting that uniform on. But, he could not. He went through so much to find her, he had to make sure she was alright. Hoping there was an explanation for her attire, the big man knelt next to his friend and lifted her chin gently with his hand. "Amber..... Can you hear me? It's me. Gavin." Turning for just to flicker to see if Syra was around he hoped to catch her attention and get her to help.
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber was lost in her own little world by the time Gavin found her, one that consisted mostly of a haze of exhaustion. She was tired, but she couldn't close her eyes, not really. She saw the men she'd killed every time she did. She saw the bodies on the streets of Hafne every time she did. She was sick to her stomach, but her spirit hurt even worse. She should never have left home.

She vaguely felt a hand cup her chin and lift it. She flinched, but though she was startled, she was too tired to do anything more. She stared up at the big man blankly for a second, struggling to think clearly enough to put a name to the face.

"Gavin?" she echoed, her voice just a whisper. "Gavin." She reached out for him with a shaky hand, as if to assure herself that he was real. She started to cry softly.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Syrawenn had little choice but to keep up, so she did, a healthy anger fuelling her time and time again when things looked hopeless. Hunger and exhaustion were put aside for the moment as other people were fighting pain and death.

It was hard to keep going when she wanted to find the people who had died in her dream. Every time there was a moment she snuck off to have a peek between the bodies that were taken out of the city, hoping and fearing to find those she had encountered in the Aether.

She did not find them.

Her suspicions kept gnawing at her. The stench kept filling her with silent dread. Slowly the girl stepped outside of herself to keep up the good work. Praise was given and ignored. More wounded were treated and fed..and pretty much ignored as well.

Gavin mumbled about going to a tent and she followed, unwilling to snap back into thought for the moment.

It was then that they found Amber.
It was her that brought Syrawenn back with a jolt.
It was her that brought back more dreams.

Betrayal. Assasination attempts. Self pity.

Syrawenn's eyebrows drew together in a frown. Wasn't it so damn convenient that the girl was here in the thick of it, AGAIN in need of comforting...in a uniform that might very well belong to a bunch of idiotic rampage killers?

She stared...heard the girl speak...and saw the tears she loathed. The youngster stepped in, keeping a close eye on Amber's hands. She would not allow any knife to slip between Gavin's ribs right now. IF she were the only one to remember the dreams, she would be the one to pay attention.

"Hiya Amber..." She said softly, her arms folded ever so loosely to be able to act within the merest flicker. The outstretched hand was not ignored, nor was the other hand which might hold the knife.

Typical...soooo typical....just cause Gav's a guy yer the one that gets to live the shock-part? Well, I got news for ya...he went through some pretty damn bad stuff himself! DRAW yerself together and do something useful if you feel so bad!

Of course it was not fair. That was why she didn't speak it out loud. Yet it irked her that with so much to do the woman was just sitting down! Needless to say the hyperactive girl never could imagine anyone being out of energy in the thick of trouble. If she had plenty to spare by just getting angry, anyone should be able to do that, right?
Phillinie

Post by Phillinie »

OOC: Sorry so long since last post. On a little vacation. Will try to bring character up to present.

IC:

Phillinie retreated from the battle; his horse and equipment still intact where he had left them. It was a rapid and bumpy ride while he caught up with his companions. He was not looking forward to reporting back to the camp. Obviously this party had not met its mission. The Lieutenant and Vale were both dead; Ymir still walked free, and only a couple of clansmen had to pay for their victory. His hope lied in the new information he and Rou had found. A new hidden keep nearby not affiliated with the count, and the clansmen's plan, led by Ymir to attack it. If notified the keep may be able to defend itself and accomplish the justice this group was unable to accomplish. There were other hints and information of the clansmen group that might also be useful. As they approached the remains of the town Phill was silent arranging his thoughts for a proper report.

The destruction of the town was near total. Fires still burning. People walking around in a daze. While the savagery did not even come close to the caravan he found just a few days before, he could not help but be moved by the shear vastness of the destruction. It would take a long time for the city to recover. At least there were still some alive to accomplish that work.

Knowing Doran had put himself in the best light during the attack on the Count, it seemed logical that he should report on the events since the Lieutenant was dead. Phillinie followed him along first to the Count's tent and finally to the wall where the Count was found. While moving from place to place Phill constantly tried to remind Doran of the information he ane Rou had overheard while scouting for Ymir. Phill stood just in the background as Doran approached the Count for his report. If it was necessary he would be able to add any amplifying information.

Phill was anxious to get the reporting over. It seemed obvious to him the a party needed to be sent as soon as possible to the "hidden keep" to warn them. It was also clear that since he was the one who knew where the keep was, he should be one of the ones to go with that party. While sitting in the background, Phill took out his book and pen and attempted to draw a crude map of the location of the ambush, the path of Ymir and where the keep was located.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

A low growl escaped the tall man's throat as he added one more grievance he had against Cont Johann. You left her behind when you ran away. You took her away and you left her. Gritting his teeth together. Gavin took hold of Amber's hand and pulled her closer, wrapping it around his neck. One arm slipped under her knees while the other wrapped around her waist and with a grunt the Dortish warrior lifted his friend up. Holding her close, he turned and came to Syra's side. "Come on. Let us find the Count's tent and my mother. There will be a bed there. We all need one."

He most certainly needed a bed. Tired to the bone, he kept pushing his body onward through sheer force of will alone. Today's sword practice and the mad dash for Hafne were not helpful. Neither were the hours he spent helping the wounded. Armor lay heavily on his shoulder, Amber feeling light compared to it. Still, his breath was growing quite ragged as he walked looking for something that might give him direction. He asked for direction, finally moving towards the tent he sought and turning once more to Syra smiled weakly. "Coming?" Then he pushed through, shoulder first, the red haired girl in his arms.
Doran
Civus

Post by Doran »

Doran looked back at the Captain and gave a weak smile back to him. He hoped that the Count and Captain would have been able to read the expression on his face on the out come of there mission, but from one look at them he could tell that small bit of hope was lost. He turned with Count to look at the smoking ruins of his former home. Last thing he wanted was to give him anymore misfortune. Especially since the Count and Captain looked as if they been ran through meat grinder and set here in Hafne to cook. The Captain was even missing an eye. His thought's turned to Vale an the Lieutenant and thought to himself that Count and the Captain were still doing better than them.

Doran straightened his composure and told his tale to them both. He told them of there plan to trap Ymir and of the Red haired girl and older guy of Red Bear squad. He told of Vale bow string snapping and of him Lieutentant and red haired girl freeing the other guy from Red Bear squad. Then he told them of clansman coming from all direction and of being outnumbered at least three to one ,but seemed like alot more than that. Then he paused for moment and told them how Vale was killed and how the Lieutentant had made there escape possible, He told them of how tryed to make his way back to Lieutentant with horse and how he failed to save the lieutentant and could only follow his last order to retreat.
He paused for moment had left of what happened to Philline and Enzirou for last. For it wasn't much ,but little light was better than nothing. He explained of what they had heard from Ymir and of his plans and of the hidden keep.

When his tale was over he looked at Count and the Captain with grim expression on his face and said. " I await your orders and any disciplinary action you see fit." Doran bowed on one knee and held out his axe with both hands surrendering it to the Count."
All will die,but few will truly live.

Post by Guest »

OOC:Sorry for the wait I posted in the wrong thread...

Enzirou rode through the gates and into Hafne with blinding speed. Taking several wrong turns had made him late as it was and he knew that the others had most likely told the Count what information they had gathered. Being late did not really bother him as he did not feel the same sense of loyalty as the others did, "Well I suppose being late is better than not showing up at all..." he smirked and slowed the horse down into a gentle trot.

He gently rode around and soaked up his surrounding, carefully building up the image inside his head. He did this so that if the attack did occur he'd be able to find his way around quickly. The area seemed depressing and almost dead, Enzirou had grown used to death fairly quickly and the once happy and ambitious young achadhiel had grown into coldness and anger. In some ways Enzirou had achieved his goal of becoming a great warrior and in some ways his personality had digressed. Before joing the army loyalty and compassion were a part of him but now the only one he was loyal to was himself and compassion was something that to him did'nt exist.

He tethered his horse in an quiet part of Hafne near the Count's tent and slowly made his way towards it, "Hmm they'll probably think less of me being late but...do I really care anymore?" For a moment Enzirou considered leaving with Ymir's sword and the horse but disregarded the thought as he knew that there maybe be great rewards at the end of this campaign. Now he truly become a mercenary only living for himself and not caring for others.

He adjusted his and Ymirs sword so that they more comfrotable and entered the Count's tent. He stood quietly at the back and caught the end of Doran debriefing the Count and the Captain. He looked around the room and saw a few new faces but then he turned his attention back to Doran who was now offering up his axe to the Count, " You're too loyal to these men Doran...far to loyal..."
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber sank gratefully into Gavin's embrace as he lifted her. She heard someone else say her name, and she looked up to see a young girl she didn't recognize. How did she know her name? She didn't know, and right now, she was far too tired to contemplate it. "Hiya," she said back, though it came out as little more than a murmur. Then she buried her face against Gavin's chestplate and close her eyes.

She was trembling, from exhaustion, from relief, from the sudden absence of the high levels of adrenaline rushing through her. Others might have been pushing themselves on, working through their shock and distress, but many of them - like Syrawenn - had more experience with this sort of thing. Amber was just a farmgirl. Who'd never fought in a war before. Who'd never been attacked by savage Clansmen. Who'd never seen people she might have been able to count as friends - given enough time - die before her eyes.

Right now, it was too much for her, the sudden, explosive blow to her innocence that would very nearly kill it for good. All she saw in her mind was death as she closed her eyes, and it made her whimper and shake her head in an effort to clear her thoughts.

Return to “Dort Archive”