Troth: The Reign of Witches

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Troth: The Reign of Witches

Post by Vanadius »

OOC: I will be adding a timestamp to this thread soon after we get you caught up to the synch event. Please forgive me as I must take a few liberties with time and fudge it a bit to get you there. Feel free to post your actions and reactions as we go forward at a rather brisk pace until we're there... Thanks for you understanding and cooperation. :D

IC: Darkness descended on the dying valley, and for the first time in ages, a terrible cold as well. It was not anything beyond what Ashilda and Hex were used to out in more southern settlements, but it was strange and unusual here.

When dawn came it arrived crisp and cold, just as the night had promised. Their wounds made them stiff and sore, but unlike many of the inhabitants of the valley, they were alive and carrying on to a new day. Their meager camp provided them with some shelter and warmth, and there was a great deal of wood and fuel for a fire if they desired.

A savage storm blew in that morningtide. There was very little snow, but there was a great deal of icy wind, which caused them to wince and blink against the freezing chill. It cleared quickly however, and the rest of the day was sunny and clear. Their movements were hampered by the wind and their wounds, so they hunkered down for another day, hoping that the next new day would bring them more freedom to move onwards towards their goal.

Hex and Ashilda found the dogs and the sleds the next day. The dogs had all huddled together and when they caught scent of the two hardy women they began to bark and whine happily. They joyously greeted the pair with playful jumping and nipping at the women and each other. It appeared as if their possessions had been blown about by the fury of the wind of the previous morning, but nearly everything had been recovered by mid-day.

They settled in for a lunchtime meal and then began their trek in earnest in the early afternoon. Perhaps in contrast to the storm of violence and death of previous days, the weather seemed to be cooperating. It was clear and cool, which made for good travelling with the dogs as they bounded and ran across the snowy tundra, blissfully performing the job they were happy to now have again once more.

It was late in the day when they came across the tracks in the snow. They were not made by any man, but were likely the result of several great bears of the north. Over a wide plain they had come, and the line of the trail could be seen for miles in each direction. The dogs began to whimper and whine and struggled against the harness as they caught scent of something. Perhaps a hundred paces away a small mound could be seen in what was essentially a flat sheet of ice where they now travelled. The dogs were mad for it, pulling and straining to get to it.

When they reached it themselves, it was plain and obvious that it was the body of a man. Snow and ice had to be brushed away, but this man was clearly not Ortus, his thick beard disproved that right away. He had also been dead for several days, too long for even the bears to take any great interest in him. His dress was that of a miner, or perhaps a tradesman, and he was an escaped slave to be sure. The markings of Clan Melorka were upon him, and plainly spoke such.

The harsh climate of the north claimed many lives almost daily, but this was something odd and unexpected. There was no evidence of how this man had gotten out this far unaided and alone, or the frequent snows had masked it easily. Night was falling fast now, and the chill breeze blew across the plain.

Gymir's Talons loomed large all around them and the body of a dead man without any future perhaps loomed large in their thoughts.
Last edited by Vanadius on Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashilda da'Svafa

Post by Ashilda da'Svafa »

The delay had been both a blessing and a curse as far as Ashilda was concerned. On the one hand, it was good to be able to rest and recover from the battle before moving on. On the other hand, the Valley was no longer a pleasant place to be in. As she remarked to Hex at one point, "It would be almost better to be out on the mountainside somewhere. The weather wouldn't be any better, but at least I wouldn't keep looking around and remembering how lush and green and full of life this place was just a few days ago."

She remembered a hunters' trick her brother had told her about, and suggested to Hex that they should pile snow up to make a low wall around them on the windward side. It would keep them a little warmer, and reduce the chances of the wind picking their small campfire up and hurling it away. Of course, it wasn't a perfect solution - they had to keep an eye on it to be sure that the wind didn't pile up so much extra snow that it would fall over on them - but anything that could give them a bit of protection from the wind seemed like being worth a try.

The next day's reunion with the sled dogs was welcome, and she was glad to note that they hadn't lost too much from the sleds even if it had been scattered a bit. They set out, making the best of what was left of the day.

Coming across the body of a man was a shock. They were miles from either of the two settlements, and the idea that anyone could make it this far without help or provisions was mind-boggling. A frown of her face, Ashilda looked over the body carefully and then turned to Hex. "How did he get here, do you think?" she asked. "I've been travelling from Grimkell for..." She paused and thought. "It would probably be four of five days, I think, not counting our days in the Valley. How could anyone survive for that long without anything?"

The failing light made it imprtant that they look at setting up camp soon, but she suggested they move a little distance from the body first. The idea of sharing their camp with a corpse wasn't attractive, and neither was the idea that the heat from their fire might thaw him out.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Post by Hex da`Bergliin »

OOC: That is a sexy title! I can not post right now, will do so later this weekend or on monday.

Have a good weekend.

H.
~
[i]The [b]Kona[/b] is dead, long live the [b]Witches[/b][/i]
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex was sore after the fight. Her leg was going to take more than a few days to fully heal and her various other scrapes and bruises added to her overall discomfort, not that she was going to show any of that. Exhausted hex simply chose to rest and mend her clothes. The blood stains did not bother her but the tears did. She spent that first night 'licking her wounds' as it was referred to.

Ashilda and she broke camp, gor their collective gear together and headed out. The battle that had played through her mind in slow motion with the tiniest detail focused upon, was now over and it was time to get going once again.

Hex took the time over the next few days of travel to look to the sky for weather changes, to study the land for any differences since the battle, to practice her skills with the dogs and to practice her new level of skill with the Queens magic. More the magic of Trothgard but they were one in the same.

Indeed Hex liked to be back on the open road. The storm bothered her not. She took it as a sign that they had done a good thing here and that the land had been able to reclaim that which it once was. A motif that she saw for her people. To once be that which they once were. Right now though she was more cancered about not pulling out the stich work of Ashilda and getting back into her routines. It seems it pays off to keep in fighting form.

The body was a different matter altogether though.

The man was an escaped slave of the Melorka clan and as far as Hex could see he was not killed in a violent fashion which meant that the weather had gotten him.

Hex stood and looked around the surrounding lay of the land.
"Desperate people will do desperate things with courage to match the fiercest of warriors. What interests me more is why is he here? He is an escaped slave, possibly a miner? I do not know and he cannot say. I belive though that either our friends with Ortus, or his friends took his provisions. How long can you make it of snow alone? It may have been different when the valley was not snow covered as it is now."

Hex paused in her thoughts as a dark cloud came over her.

"I had a small run in back in town before I left. A young man, boy really, was telling me of a man who had told him that Men ruled the rest of the Seven isles and that Trothgard should be no different, or something like that. The result was that he felt unjustly done to and that he was privileged to act and do as he saw fit against the council of any woman. There was also the suspicious murder of a high priestess. Things seemed to be unraveling at the seams and to be quite honest with you, it is all part of the reason I am here. How could someone think it was a good idea to build an inn? Are we merely a reflection of the rest of the Isles? I belive my friend that the people are loosing touch with whop they are. The Kona says to stop raiding, trade and build. She says that the this is the Ice Queens wishes."

Hex smiled a wicked grin.

"They laughed at me when I said that I was going to ask her myself over tea. I don't think they are going to laugh when I get back. No Ashilda, this man is part of a bigger problem that is sweeping this whole land of ours and I have the uncanny feeling that you and I are caught in this windstorm of change."

Hex gave the body a nudge with her boot.

"Lets see if this man has any other secrets to give and then lets move until final night fall. At least his corpse will attract the creatures of the night to him and not to us."
~
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The corpse revealed little by way of his identity. Braids and beads were gone, either torn apart by the relentless wind, or removed by choice. The Melorka clan marking for a slave was prominent on his right cheek, the mountain part of the marking clearly visible and clear. Too little of his clothing remained for any confirmation of his tradecraft. Whomever had left him in this state had done so after removing all of his protective gear, including his boots. The delicate flesh under his toenails had been frozen blue.

Yet the body did have something to offer by way of more questions to ask. In one of his pockets was a strange cube made of dragonglass or obsidian. Perhaps too large to weave into one's hair as a bead, it had a hole through it for that purpose, or perhaps to hang upon a thong. Upon it were inscribed seven runes, all familiar, yet vague and undefined. Clearly these were runes of an ancient sort, possibly precursors to existing runes today. Their meaning was slippery, elusive, yet the feeling that they had been seen before was undeniable and unshakable.

The encroaching darkness of a dying day began to descend upon them once more, forcing them to seek whatever shelter they could find once more.

When night fell, a light against the black ice and dark snow could be seen. It was up on the side of the mountain before them. A yellowy orange spark of fire glowed like some ominous eye. It flickered and danced, watching... waiting...

They were not alone.
Last edited by Vanadius on Tue May 02, 2006 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex pawed through the body wondering why this slave did not have it's braids. Tore off in a fight...Cut off by him to reclaim some notion of the past life...cut off by the family...cut off for humilation.. And on it went in her mind.

"Someone got to him to strip him down. That alone would kill him." Hex found the cube and tossed it to Ashilda to work over. Hex was not that good with the runes but it seemed to be a knack of Ashilda's.

"Something for you to ponder over."

With that it was getting dark and the temperature was dropping with each passing burn.

In the darkness a light was reveled. A lonely light against the mountain. Questions of friend and foe raced through Hex's mind as she looked at that light. They were well into Eveningtide and Gravetide would reveal the visitor to them.

Nodding her head to the light...

"We will not reach it before we are spent. I think we should camp here and keep a eye open and see who marks the trail before us. I have a feeling it be foe over friend."
~
Ashilda da'Svafa

The young woman shivered as Hex examined the body, but it had little to do with the cold. Something about the body disturbed Ashilda, and made her reluctant to perform as close an examination as her warrior companion was doing. It wasn't just the fact that he was dead, although that was disturbing enough, but something indefinable about his presence here.

As Hex tossed her something, she reached out to grab it without thinking. Something for you to ponder over, the woman said. Ashilda looked at the smooth stone in her hand with surprise. It was indeed something to ponder over, carved as it was with strange runes. She ran her fingers gently over the carvings, trying to get a feel for them. "They aren't anything I've ever seen before," she murmured, half to herself. "I wonder what they mean?"

Hex's words distracted her from her contemplation of the runes, and she looked up in surprise. She could see the light in the distance where Hex indicated, and nodded. "Camping would be good," she agreed. "I'd rather not stumble across whoever it is in the dark, although that can sometimes not be a bad thing." She gave the woman a small grin. "I seem to recall that it was how I found you."

Slipping the stone into her pocket, she made her way back to the sleds and began the task of setting up camp. As she worked, however, her mind was still on the stone. Strange runes... old runes, that much is obvious. Are they still powerful? What do they do? She began to call up images in her mind of the runes she was familiar with, comparing them for similarities that might give her a clue.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex sat and helped with the camp so that she could watch the flame. Motioning to Ashilda to not stand between the flame and the mountain, she looked for the makers of the flame in the distance to make that very mistake. Hex tried to bring all her senses to bear. She looked and felt for any changes in the weather, staining her ears and cautiously reaching out with the Queens Power to see if there were any disturbances.

She shook off her usual practice for the night in favor of doing some more advanced stretches. She wanted to be limber and mean, not crippled and hobbled. While the fight had seemed to last forever in truth it was but a few burns but in Hex's mind it is how one preforms in those precious burns that makes the difference between living and dieing. For Hex, physical fitness and skill were paramount on her personal improvement categories, and it showed.

Hex had been hard before she left for sea's unknown on a pirate ship as a bodyguard. Upon her return she had forged her body into a fatless muscular weapon. In other lands she had been looked upon as being more masculine than feminine and when she did try to transform herself to other cultures standard of beauty it had been shocking for all involved. In the end she was perfectly happy to be sitting her, bear grease covering her body for warmth under unwashed layers of skins and armor. She thought of how she must smell and was glad it was cold to keep the sweat down. How Scatha and Raven would laugh at her now. Either that or wrinkle their noses.

Indeed but here she was with Ashilda, a slim and trim young woman who like Hex was undersized compared to some of the larger women that dominated the warrior grouping. Most of them were Hei-bjort's, the hunting clan. Hex studied her friend for a moment, like her she seemed to be from somewhere else or at least had that heritage in her. Unlike the vast majority of women here, her hair was black as coal, and now that Hex thought about it, she had a hard time remembering when the last time was she saw a woman form Trothgard wit hair that color, interesting enough they shared an eye color. Hex also noted that Ashilda was not used to her gruff ways. Hex wondered what sort of monster Ashilda thought she was. Does she stay with me out of fear or out of her own need for answers? Inside Hex knew that she was getting colder, harder like the land she worshiped. Death was a part of this land and it came for you in many ways and one of those ways was by the very nature of the land itself. If one was to be one with the land, was had to be comfortable with death. Dealing death was starting to feel to Hex like any other chore, any other exercise. An un-emotional performance of one's personal skill in battle or the hunt. After all, battle was like hunting, just with different types of prey.

When the ice ran red with blood she held her ground, she took herself outside of who she was... Thoughts trailed off as she looked around listing to the dogs. Hex reflected back alongs her packed years of life. Where I walk the scavengers of death follow, will a people follow a dealer of death? She who can wield magic only to destroy? I must learn to become more than I am. I must learn to become better.

"How is your arm and your other wounds? I know I am not the only one here with an ache or a pain. What was that strange object about? Come sit and talk with me, we spend so much time together but most of our conversation is with a dog."

Hex laughed..quietly, not as boisterous as her normal laugh as one eye was on the distant flame, trying to find out numbers, size...

"I noticed that you move lightly on your feet, where did you pick that up?
Last edited by Hex da`Bergliin on Thu May 04, 2006 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
~
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The runes themselves were a strange thing. Their magic was old indeed. Promises of fire and madness were inscribed in them. Blood and battles as well. Parts of them were very familiar to Ashilda. Easily recognizable and almost too easy to identify. Yet there were variations to each that she had not seen before. Lines were inscribed in patterns that that he had not seen or were simply no longer used by way of age and trade. There were useless inefficiencies to them, as if they were being flowery and artistic when it served no purpose.

There was no mystery to their age. They were faded and ancient, a holdover from a forgotten time ages past. There was no more useful power in them beyond a telling of a tale on four tiny panels on each side of the cube. This was a relic, a symbol. A fossil of times long ago.

In the distant shudder of flame up the mountainside, there were no shadows to reveal themselves. Whatever the fire was, and whomever had started it was likely behind the flames themselves. Whether by strategy, skill, or ill-luck it was impossible for Hex to yet determine.

The weather, although not a hindrance, was uncooperative and silent as well. Clouds obscured the stars above and the wind had died, leaving an eerie calm in contrast to the strong breezes of previous days. There was a chill of impending doom in the air, as if this were the last place they would ever get to see alive. That they burning eye above was a silent witness to the last beats of their hearts and that any flicker, someone or something was about to strike.

Suddenly, out in the chill, misty dark, they could hear singing.

Somewhere in the icy blackness, perhaps from the fiery eye above, some men were singing. It was too faint to hear the words, or recognize the tune, but it still could be heard like a gentle whisper from the depths of hell.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex looked to Ashilda to see the womans reaction. Inspire her Hex! Show her that she has nothing to fear!

Hex smiled warmly.

"That was nice of them. They do seem to be a them after all. Come, it appears you have a good luck charm there so let us sing a song for them."

Hex gave a wink and pulled herself to a standing position. Pulling her thoughts together she focused on projecting her voice.

"Not much of a singer you know, but I can be loud when I want to."

With a smile and a wink Hex started her counter song...

[Hex's Song]

We are the women of Trothgard
Hear our song

Battle calls us and we answer with raised fist
We come as death from the land of ice and mist
Foe upon the distant shore hear our song
Know from the sound you life will not last long

Our story is old
Our story is long
We born of the ice give you this last song

It was the task set to us
Chosen by none and accepted by all
We would hold our ground
We would hold the wall

The wind blew long and cold
Snow and frost gathered on mountains old
Our Lady, she walked the wall
For you, for us, for one and all

What price was ours to give?
What toll demanded form the land?
A land so hard, a land so cold
Its demand was blood by our hand.

We had to become as hard as she
Our hearts turned to ice, our fists to rock
Our battle cries could be heard across the sea
From your lands we took what we need

Our ships have landed upon your shore
You life is mine it is yours no more
Hear my voice before you die
The voice you hear is a battle cry

Years have passed and the snow piles high
To the south we left for warmer lands
We left our Queen alone between wall and sky
Weapons felt no longer strong within our hands

Hark! Upon the wind a shout goes out!
Enemy has been spotted within our very lands
The Queen has called there is no doubt
She calls for blood to once again be spilt from our hands!

Hear me now one and all
The women of Trothgard have answered her call
We run to battle without fear
The price you pay will be the most dear

Your blood shall flow upon the earth
Revenge is ours for it is most sweet
Your death shall quench my thirst
This song is the sound of your defeat

My song to you is almost done
Know that from its sound your death near
We like the fight do not cower in fear
Your fate is marked you have nowhere to run

As Her voice trailed off Hex sat down. It felt good to speak of old times and it felt better to challenge a foe.

"Hope I sounded better than the dogs howling"

Hex laughed as she poked the fire.
Last edited by Hex da`Bergliin on Fri May 05, 2006 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda studied the rune-scribed stone with interest. So old! Even the way we scribe runes has changed from when this was made, and that makes it older than anything I've seen at home! Now that she had had a chance to study it, she could feel the absence of power. A trinket, nothing more, but she was reluctant to discard it. If nothing else, her mother would be interested to see it. There was also the possibility of trying to scribe these runes herself and seeing what the result was.

She was brought out of her examination by Hex, and she smiled at the warrior. "My wounds are fine," she replied. "My arm aches still, and I'm not sure how I'd go having to draw the bow too often, but it's not as bad as I feared. At least I can manage not to use it much, unlike your leg! I must say I'm impressed that you've managed to stay standing on the sled for so long."

Moving closer to the fire, she held out the runestone. "I can't even begin to imagine how old this is! I recognise some of the runes, but their written very differently to how we write them now. Look here, see this one?" She pointed to one of the ornate symbols, then sketched a much sparser rune in the snow between them. It was obvious that they were meant to be the same symbol. "I'm glad I didn't have to learn to write them this way, though - I doubt I could have learned so much just by watching." She weighed the stone in her hand for a few flickers, considering it. "I wonder how that man came to have this on him?" she mused.

A small smile tugged at her lips as Hex asked how she learned to move lightly and quietly. "It's the way I learned most of the rune lore I know," she explained with a self-conscious chuckle. "Mother refused to teach me runecraft until I'd earned my feather, but I was headstrong and impatient. I didn't want to wait, and I was so sure that I could do it if I was just given a chance. I took to finding places to hide where I could watch and listen as she spoke with the other Svafa runescribers. She found me a few times at first, and that always meant I was in a lot of trouble, so I worked at learning how to move without making a noise or leaving any signs I'd been there. I'm not as good as the best of the hunters, but it got me the knowledge I wanted." She shrugged and offered her friend a sheepish grin. "I suppose given the last few days, it's just as well. I doubt I could have done as well against those soldiers who chased me if I hadn't been able to kill most of them with a single shot."

The sound of singing came to them on the night air, and she followed Hex's gaze back up the mountain to where the fire flickered. She shuddered at the sound. The men who stripped that miner? she wondered. Or the men who took Ortus? I wish I could hear them clearly - it would help to know if they're likely to be friendly or not!

Her eyes widened as Hex stood up and began to sing loudly. The woman's courage was awe-inspiring, and the words of the song touched her in the very core of her being. She wished she knew the words so she could lend her voice in support, but she was affraid to join in and risk destroying the simple power of the warrior's words. When the song wound to a close, she shook her head in wonder. "Much better," she gasped. "That was amazing! If they weren't good Trothgard men, that will have put the fear of the Queen into them! Or, at least, the fear of you!" She joined Hex in her laughter.

Keeping her eyes on the mountainside fire now, in case the answer to Hex's challenge came in the form of visitors to their camp, she remarked, "I've been trying to remember what I knew of you before you left Trothgard, but I must confess that it's little enough. Had you trained as a warrior here, or is that a skill you picked up in your travels? I haven't spent that much time watching the warriors of Rimmerhold, but I don't think I've seen anyone fight the way you do."
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex smiled and nodded as Ashilda talked. When she stopped Hex paused for a moment, thinking back to the time when she was a young girl.

"I think that they would say that I have what you would call old bones. I have some connection to the past that I cannot shake and even some years ago I could feel the changes that are coming over our people and the land. I was an angry young woman then. I was a defiant and I raised the ire of many for many tide. I defied everyone and let them know it at the top of my lungs. I shunned the males, groped the girls and set about being a one woman force of destruction till I just couldn't take it any more. I was training to be a warrior and from that training I have my foundation of skills and work ethic. It is some of those same drills that you see me do every morning to keep my skills sharp and my body hard and ready.

My real education started on the pirate ship that I signed on to as a bodyguard. There I learned many a hard lesson that I carry to this day. Fighting is a dirty business, bloody and nasty, especially up close. I learned many a dirty trick. Luckily I have not had to use them too often. Being a wild woman from Trothgard carries a certian reputation."

Hex laughed at herself.

"Think of it this way Ashilda, the rite of passage was about showing that you were tough, and were at one with the land. I think the favor of the Queen shines over you. She gives you strength, the guides your bow for you do her work. Your runes are good and sometimes the power we hold within us is greater than the power that is shown to us by another."

Hex paused while she glanced at the rune stone from the dead man.

"I too do not understand that riddle before us. Perhaps the morning light will be able to make things more clear. For us though, what do you see in the rune stone? How much power was there? What do you think it was used for? If we can find these answers then we can maybe find out why this man would die for it."

Hex paused and rubbed her leg.

"My leg is sore, but I do my stretches and keep some weight off it. Movement is good for it, keeps the muscle strong. You did good with your healing, I think you have more talents then you let on to. So tell me of your childhood that is long behind you now."

Hex paused to let Ashilda get a word in.
~
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

A breeze came and carried bits of snow and ice with it's chilly embrace. Such was the life in the frost covered lands of the North. The dogs nervously settled in and snuggled against one another for warmth. They all raised their heads in near unison when Hex began to sing.

Hex's proud and defiant song silenced the distant men. Flickers passed and turned into burns as the two brave women conversed and convalesced in their camp. The dogs grew drowsy and they drifted off to sleep as Hex and Ashilda spoke.

Then a figure passed the fire above, then another, then another. Three shadows each blocked the fire's glow, one after the other, then the glow was constant and steady again.

Someone was coming...
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda couldn't help grinning as Hex spoke of being troublesome as a youth. The same could probably be said for me, she reflected, but for very different reasons! Certainly, she had always troubled her mother with her insistance on wanting to learn runecrafting.

Somehow, the warrior's statement that she felt tied to the land and had felt changes coming was no surprise. After the past few days, she was convinced that Hex was truly one of the Ice Queen's chosen. The only thing that puzzled her was why someone with such a connection to Trothgard would choose to leave it. After she pondered this for a brief time, she realised a connection to her own situation. I always knew what I wanted to be, but I wasn't allowed to be it at home. If I returned home after the hippogryph carried me to Grimkell, I still wouldn't have been allowed to learn - mother would have said I wasn't worthy. But I didn't go home, I came out into the mountains again and found that I could learn and grow without her. Maybe Hex had to do something similar before she could be the person she is now? Certainly, she said she learned a lot of fighting when she travelled, and that is definitely a good thing!

She chuckled at the woman's comment that being a woman of Trothgard had kept people wary of her. It was good that their people's reputation was not unknown outside their snowy isle. It was good that that reputation was one of strength and determination.

Her lips curved in a smile as Hex spoke of her Rite, even as her eyes grew troubled. "I want to believe you," she said at last. "I had just been thinking about the way that returning to the mountains meant that I've learned that I can scribe runes without being taught by my family. Yet the ways of our people haven't changed in some respects. If I return with my braids still bare, I will be considered a failure and a child, unfit to be accepted into the adult world. What I know of my own abilities, and what you know, will count for little, I fear."

Hex's question about the stone shifted her attention back to the weight in her palm. "There is no power in this now," she replied. "It's difficult to say how much power there ever was. Some of the runes are familiar to me, but not all of them." She turned the stone over in her hands, examining each rune in turn. Maybe if she could assess what runes she knew and where they were in relation to each other, she could make some guesses as to what the remaining ones meant. Almost absently, she added, "Whatever it was, I feel that it's important somehow..."

After a few burns of considering the stone, she turned her attention to Hex's question about her childhood with a little laugh. "There's not that much to tell," she admitted. "Certainly nothing as exciting as yours. My older sister became an artisan rather than a runecrafter - she tooled the designs on my quiver and gave me this cloak-pin." She indicated the large brooch at her throat, an intricate stylised hippogryph. "We were never really close, but we get along well enough. We're just concerned with very different things. I'm closer to my brother. He's a brilliant hunter. He taught me to shoot before my Rite, so that I could catch my offerings." Her lips twisted in an ironic grin. "Hard to believe that only a few days ago I was so incrediby proud of having shot two rabbits!"

Chuckling at the curve her life had taken, she continued, "Most of the rest you know. I always wanted to work with the runes, like so many of my family do. Mother said I wasn't ready, that she wouldn't teach me until I was an adult. I didn't want to wait, so I used to watch and listen as they all spoke amongst themselves. When I was younger I could sometimes cajole others into explaining some of the runes to me, but mother found out about it and made put a stop to it." She sighed and shook her head. "I'd always focused on passing my Rite so that she'd finally start to teach me. I didn't think much more about it than that. Then, when I was in the Valley for the first time, I could feel that something wasn't right. Something was missing, but I wasn't sure what it was. I wanted to do something to help. I guess I've done something, but I'm not entirely certain if it truly helped aside from getting those soldiers out of there." She heaved another heartfelt sigh.

As she shifted her head, the change in the light on the mountainside caught her eye and she snapped her head around to look at it. The shapes passed in front of the fire briefly, then were gone. Her breath was expelled as a low hiss. "I think you got their attention," she told her friend. "How long do you think it will take them to get down to us?" She moved to rise, adding, "I think I'd feel safer if I could meet them on my feet, even if I don't feel up to much fighting just now."
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex focused upon the flickering flame up on the mountain. How long indeed? Who are they? Will they fight? hex's mind swirled along with the thoughts that now spang into her head. She was ever ready, but soon if she kept up with this pace of combat she would need a rest soon.

"I am unsure of the time to be sure that it will take them to reach us. I suspect a full tide, maybe two." Hex shook her head and shrugged.

Looking over at Ashilda...

"You are a favored daughter of the Queen. I think I will leave this fight to you. Wake me after you have killed them all."

Hex turned her head but could not hide her smile and broke out in laughter. Hex would never sit a fight out, Ashilda knew that. Standing up she laughed again and let out a wolf howl upon the winds.

"Let us see what ground we fight on...if we are to fight and make it a ground of our choosing..."
~
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda relaxed slightly when Hex told her it would be a while before the men reached them. Events lately had rushed on them so quickly, it seemed as if there was never enough time to prepare. She wasn't entirely sure what preparations they could make, but she wanted to be ready.

The warrior's next words brought her up short, and she looked at the woman incredulously. Leave it to me? What...? She stared in confusion for a burn, until Hex began laughing. Joining in, Ashilda replied, "I thought for a moment you were serious! I must be tired!" Shaking her head, she tried to bring her chuckles under control. The laughter had eased the tension, and now she looked around at their campsite.

"It's not terribly defensible," she mused. "There more of them than of us, and it probably wouldn't be too hard for them to circle around us and come from all sides." A frown creased her brow. "You've more experience in this than I do. Is there a way we could stop them coming up behind us?"

As she spoke, she crossed to the sleds and pulled out her bow and quiver. A few experimental pulls on the bowstring resulted in a twinge from her shoulder, and she grimaced in annoyance. "I could manage a shot or two if necessary, but I don't know I could keep it up for much more," she admitted. "Do you have a spare knife or something I could borrow? One of the worst things about the fight in the Valley was that I was completely defenseless once I couldn't shoot anymore." Shaking her head, she moved back towards the fire and began rummaging through the pouch on her belt.

"I need something I can scribe on," she mused, half to herself. "Not ice this time, perhaps... something that will hold them..." As she searched, she tried to think of a rune that would do what she needed - hold the men in place if they looked like they would attack, without necessarily damaging them. If we can't calm them down, we can damage them ourselves since they can't move, she added to herself grimly.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex looked over to Ashilda and snorted. Moving behind her Hex sat down and flipped one of her daggers into her lap.

"Relax and think of calm thoughts, I am going to loosen up your back and arms."

With that, Hex set about doing some probing massage work slowly working her way deeper into the muscles.

"I think that you should join me in my morning stretches. They will help to keep you trim and limber. Muscles are like anything else, you need to use them and care for them or they will not be ready to respond when you need them. If you care for them and keep them ready, you will be ready."

Hex paused for a moment....

"I do not mean that to sound condescending or have you think I am speaking from some position above you, rather it is my experience as one whom seems to draw combat to her that I always need to be ready to fight. It seems that since you have joined with me on this path that you too need to be ready to fight at all times."

Hex laughed as she moved from the back and shoulders to the neck...

"As for not letting them get behind us, there are really two approaches, one is to draw back as they come forward and the second is to out flank them. At this point though we should both rest and let them work through the night to get here. They will be more tired then us and we need the rest. Your bow will prove the advantage, even over numbers."

Hex moved from the neck and took careful time and care working around Ashilda's wounded arm making sure the muscle was not bunching and would be limber.

"Come, stand with me now and let me show you a few burns worth of knife drills."

Hex stood and put her hand out to help her friend to her feet and then moved a few paces back.

"Begin by shadowing my movements and then I will show you some tricks to get that dagger in deep."

Hex waited for her friend and then started to work through some really basic knife drills being patient and working slowly as she felt that Ashilda's life may someday depend on such moves, and Hex wanted her friend to be there for some time to come...
~
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

OOC: Just a quick note to let you I'm reading along. Hex is correct, it will take them a bit of time to get to you, so I'll be watching the training and preparations closely. Have fun and I'll post when appropriate.

Great work ladies! Keep it up! :D
Ashilda da'Svafa

OOC: Good to know, Van. :) Sorry I didn't get to this sooner, Hex - we had out-of-town friends drop in unexpectedly on the weekend and I've been playing tour guide! :roll:

IC:

Ashilda tensed uncertainly as Hex moved behind her, uncertain of what the woman intended. Before long, however, she had relaxed into the massage. The probing was finding and releasing the knots of tension she hadn't even noticed, and she nodded her acceptance of Hex's suggestion. "That's probably a good idea," she agreed. "I know that I'm unlikely to be even half the warrior you are, for I feel that's not truly where my calling lies, but at least while we are out here it would be good to know I could hold my own in a fight." She twisted around slightly to give her friend a grin. "I'll be less of a burden to you that way, too, if you don't have to worry about needing to protect me as much."

Chuckling, she settled back around and let Hex continue her ministrations as she discussed the options for making the best use of their camp. She winced a little as the massage moved to her injured arm, but the pain wasn't as bad as she had feared. She began to feel optimistic about their chances.

Buoyed up by this optimism, she accepted Hex's hand with a grin when the older woman suggested teaching her knife drills. There wouldn't be time for much if they were to get some good rest before their guests arrived, but she was sure she could at least learn the basics and manage not to do herself an injury if it came to hand-to-hand fighting. Accepting the loan of the knife, she did her best to hold it the way that Hex did and mimic the woman's movements. It wasn't something that came naturally to her, and she felt very clumsy at first, but gradually she began to get a sense of the way one action flowed into the next and her movement became easier and more relaxed.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex was pleased for several reasons. Firstly she had been working with the Glaive each morning as was her habit, but the knife fighting had been put on the back burner for the larger weapon. Her fighting with hand and foot had come in useful during her stretches but it too had suffered. Now though she had found renewed vigor in both. Knife fighting was a dirty and quick business, either that or it was a fight that lead to a slow bleeding death by many small cuts. Hex wanted to focus on the quick death and she added to her knowledge of knife fighting her ability with her knowledge of quick strikes with from the hand and foot fighting. Hex did not want to push too much as Ashilda was getting loose and keeping up with what she was doing. Her goal here after all was just the basics.

Secondly she found her bond with the other woman growing. This also pleased her very much. Hex was no longer seeking the low goal or aiming low in her ambitions. Her real goal now was to reform the isle, to bring back the strength of the land to the people of the isle, her people, her land, Trothgard. Ashilda was more to her than just another woman who happened along, no Ashilda was a woman who had fallen between the cracks of the new life and the old. A tale that Hex had seen and heard over her whole life. What pleased her was the idea that she had been able to reach out to someone while she, for a lack of a better word, preached of the ways of old, love for the Queen and respect for the land. Simple things, but in these times they were things of the most paramount importance. The invasion of the men of the One was just the beginning, rather it was after the beginning.

The rumours from the lips of the men in Rimehold had been the first sign. The old women were loosing their power and the Kona was not helping matters with her involvement in the affairs of the other lands, other rulers. Trade? Was that the reason they had given? That was the reason for the building of the inn, a permanent structure upon the land, for the comfort of the merchants and traders. Why did they need to be so comfortable? What was wrong with their ships?

Many thoughts ran through her mind as she worked her drills, so engrossed in her thoughts and the lightness of her spirit that doing the drills brought her, that she had to catch herself as she thought she had pushed Ashilda perhaps a little too hard.

Hex had to smile to herself though for she knew that Ashilda would not break under her pressure.

"Are you sure that you wish to study the runes and not the blade?"

Hex gave a laugh in the darkness, illuminated by the glowing embers of their fire. Hex poked the fire and then guided them both through the after drill stretches.

Nodding to herself Hex began to think of the coming meeting of the two camps.

"The trick here is to surround them before they surround you. As far as I can tell there is little to hide behind here so really it is just a matter of being in the right position. I counted three, but that could be deceptive. Let's say five or six."

Hex drew in the snow as the light from the fire flickered in the breeze...

"Indeed, the fire is the main draw and well I am in no position to run anywhere. I saw no marks of any arrows so lets hope that do not have any that will be our strength, that is you Ashilda."

Hex paused and looked to her friend.

"Life is all about balance like a war ship upon the sea. You need balance in a fight, balance in food, balance in what you do from day to day. Too much killing without pleasure and soon you are out of balance. If you live without the Queen and her blessing you will find your life out of balance. The land, here, our land, Trothgard is out of balance. (pausing) In a fight you need to find a balance of strengths. I fight first with the Glaive, then the knife and finally the fist. In a larger battle you need more than one weapon style, with you, we have two."

Hex smiled and let out a low laugh.

"That is what anyone else would think but we know better. You have the power of the Queens in the runes and I have the blessing of the Queen in the raw wind. We then have four weapons, two of which may not be countered by normal means. Your amulets are strong and good and the queen guides your aim. I know that you run low on arrows so it will be important for you to take your time, make each shot count."

Hex poked the ground before her..

"There are things we do not know. Who are these men and what is their intention? They could be former slaves or renegades of the One. I also do not understand what happened to the man to make him look the way he was. Perhaps it was just the wind but the way his toes looked makes me wonder. I would have taken all of the clothing though, that is not suspicious in it self. Not taken that trinket of yours is a bit of a wonder though. Riddles, riddles, riddles in the snow...."

Hex let her last words drift off as she turned her head to the sky and the wind looking for signs of the morning weather and listing for signs of the men upon the wind. Cocking her eyebrow Hex tried to also reach out softly with the power to get a feel for its strength here and feeling for any taint. She also wondered if she could hear any further on the wind with the power.

Sighing in her mind Hex was glad that she did not have the structured guidance of the older priestesses, yet she would have liked some guidance. Laughing inside Hex smiled, thinking that she was doing just fine on her own, well just fine with the help of her friend
~
Ashilda da'Svafa

The workout was a hard one, although Ashilda reminded herself that she would have found it much harder before leaving Rimehold. The recent days spent guiding the dogsled, not to mention the two battles they had already faced, had begun to strengthen her muscles and bolster her endurance. As a result, she was managing to keep up (more or less) with her instructor. Still, but the time lesson wound down she could feel the heaviness in her muscles and hoped that there would be time for a rest before she needed to put her learning to the test.

She joined Hex's laughter at the jesting question, but her reply was heartfelt: "Oh yes, especially now that I've seen that I can do it instead of just dreaming about it!" They worked through some final stretches, and she was pleased to find it helped ease some of the soreness she had built up during the training. She was still sore, but she decided that she would be able to function if she needed to.

The pair of them sank down beside the fire, and Hex began talking about the coming confrontation. They had begun assuming that it would be a fight, which was probably a sensible precaution, but the young woman hoped that it would not come to that. The last fight had taken its toll on them, and they still had not recovered fully.

She nodded at the woman's explanation of the need for balance in a fight, although she was a bit nervous at having been named a strength. Can I live up to that? she wondered. Irritably, she scolded herself, You did well enough in the Valley, and this time you won't get separated from Hex so you'll be able to work as a team. It will be fine! With a grim smile, she replied, "If my runes are to be a strength, I'll need to scribe some more before our company arrives. Most of the wood we've got for the fire is deadfall, so it will be easy enough to use - hopefully the Queen won't see breaking a piece or two off it as altering it too much!" She sent a brief, silent prayer that this would be so, then continued, "What do you think - should I make us new amulets, or should I make some more ice runes for my arrows? I'm not sure I have the time or the strength for both."

A thoughtful frown crossed her face as Hex spoke of the many things they didn't know about the situation. Looking out towards the slope where the men would come from, she mused, "It's possible that these men have nothing to do with that poor unfortunate - they could be passing this way on some other errand, as we are. Unlikely, perhaps, but possible. Either way, though, you're right: it's strange that the runestone should have been left by whoever stripped him of everything else."
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

OOC: Ashilda, assume you had the time and energy to craft whichever runes you want in the space of the intervening time.

IC: It was perhaps a few marks, not as many as eight or ten, not as few as two or three before the figures coming down the mountain could be seen. The eye of fire up on the mountain died away long after the first mark, leaving only the darkness under the overcast skies. A faint trace of the light of the moon could be seen through the clouds.

Distantly at first, then more distinct, three figures came down the slope in the treacherous darkness. They slipped and sometimes fell, but otherwise did a fine job of working their way down in little light on snow and ice. The dogs caught wind of them before they got too close and they began to stand and whine and bark at the approaching trio.

Then at last the men appeared from out of the darkness and approached the ruddy glow of the firelight. The dancing flames played on their features, giving them an eerie, almost ghostly appearance. They stopped short, at a respectable and somewhat safe distance away.

One was a shaggy mammoth of a man, huge and bearlike. His thick beard and thick furs making him seem like a fierce walrus that had suddenly popped upright and sprouted legs. The other two were more slender and slight. Even covered in furs and skins, it was obvious they were no where near the size of the first. They wore their hair long and loose as well, although one of the men had recently cut his beard close. His crystal blue eyes studied the pair of women intently. They were hard and stern looking, carrying spears and long knives. The skins and furs they wore were of bear, wolf and ox, and there was no sign of any clan affiliation among any of the three. No feathers, no braids, no beads of any kind could be seen or found.

The short bearded one stepped forward, although he was still many paces off. He yelled across the whispering winds as his watching eyes flicked back and forth between Hex and Ashilda.

"Your song was brave, as are you for being this far away from the settlements. My name is Skaali, this is Kaarl, and the great bear of a man is Naug. May we share your fire?"
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex looked to Ashilda with a quizzical look. Under her breath she whispered to her friend "Wild men? Are the smaller the lost elves that I have heard so much about? We would be wise to avoid this fight, they are hunters of this land, not men from far away. Hang back a bit, they seem to know how to approach a unknown fire and should not make unnatural moves."

Hex stood and moved forward to present herself in a stance of strength.

"I hear your words upon the wind and I see before me hunters of Trothgard, without bead, braid or clan. Know that I see this and that I welcome you to our fire. We are all one under the Queen. I am Hex, this is Ashilda, may you know warmth from our fire and under the eye of the Queen may our words and actions be peaceful."

Hex was no fool and no lost woman in need of rescue either. There were questions here to be answered. Hex made the assessment that these were not the soldiers that had carried Ortus off to a cruel death by exposure or torture, rather they did appear to be that which they appeared to be, wild men without clan, true hunters of Trothgard. A part of Hex envied these men if this is indeed what they were. They were true people of the land living as the people of the land had lived for years unknown. Yes a small part of Hex envied such a living as it kept a person sharp and tough.

There was a question about a corpse though. Hex surmised that perhaps the man had sought to join these men and was not tough enough for the reality of the harsh land. A man that had been from the towns. Questions about the rune cube would needed to be answered. A long time ago Hex had learned that one could also find answers with honey and tea rather than the fist. She was tired and sore and while she would never back down from a fight, she would avoid this one if she could. She turned back to Ashilda and gave her a wink and a nod. Ashilda knew that Hex trusted her and for the most part, no one else. Hex knew that Ashilda would be ready with rune and blade.

As the dogs whined and snarled in protest of the men, Hex smiled a wicked little smile...Might be nice to have these men with us on our long journey...
~
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda put the remaining time they had to wait to good use. She was able to gather a few small, flatish pieces of wood from their collection, and she sat with her back to the flames as she took out the stick she had been using for scribing. The workout had released a lot of her tension, and the physical exertion had purged her muscles from any restlessness. With her trust that Hex and the dogs would alert her in plenty of time to deal with any approaching threat, she was able to relax easily.

Breathing deeply, she let her mind focus on the runes she wanted to carve. Luck and protection again, she decided. The amulets had served them well against the soldiers of the One - who would have thought that a warrior, a beast, and a half-trained archer could defeat so many?! - and she wanted to make some more. This time she had only to make two pairs, and she hoped that having done it before would make it easier.

The surface of the sticks parted easily under her tool, proof that the marks were imbued with power and not just the scratchings of stick against stick. She could feel the power in the land around her, and the power in herself, and a sense of distant vast power that could be the will of the Ice Queen. Before too long, she had completed the two double-chipped amulets. Since neither Hex nor the sled-dogs had roused her, she paused for a few burns to clear her mind again and this time focussed on the ice rune she had been using. She decided to only make a few chips to tie to her arrows, so that she wouldn't be left so drained by her scribing that she'd be useless for the next few marks.

Her scribing completed, she murmured a prayer of thanks to the Goddess and tucked her scribing stick back into her pouch. Handing Hex her amulet, she strung the other around her own neck and resumed her place by the fire to wait until their guests arrived.

When the three men did approach, her eyes widened a little in surprise at their wild appearance. She nodded slowly at Hex's suggestion, and rose with her friend so that they could confront them standing. Her bow in one hand, the other resting lightly over her quiver so that she could draw if she needed to, she murmured back, "The Queen's luck, then."

The warrior's words to the men were as bold as her song had been, but welcoming nonetheless. The young woman watched them, curious to see how they would react. It was a long way from their camp, so the chances were high that they would accept. Would it be eager or grudging acceptance, though? Would they be as keen to avoid conflict as the two women were, or would they welcome it? And, perhaps just as important, had they had anything to do with the dead miner?

Catching Hex's wink, her lips quirked in a small smile. The pair of them made a good team, and she felt sure they would be able to deal with whatever the situation developed into.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The dogs seemed to calm and settle a bit after Hex spoke with the men. Their occasional barks still carried sharply off into the night.

The one who named himself Skaali scratched the side of his nose absently as Hex spoke, and muttered something inaudible to his companions before taking a small step forward.

"We mean you no harm. We were simply curious as to who would venture out so far from the settlements."

He made a quick hand gesture to his friends that they should approach with him slowly. He himself began to come forward with cautious, measured steps. Of her comments to their appearance or apparent lack of clan, he gave no indication. Kaarl and Naug seemed content to let the smallish man speak for them, and neither had yet offered up any comment thus far. They simply approached and sat near one another, but still a respectful distance away from the women.

"We have blood wine and dried venison. Perhaps we can exchange these small things for news of Rimmerhold and of the south."

Return to “Trothgard Archive”