The Trap for Ymir - SH 27th

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

The Trap for Ymir - SH 27th

Post by Vanadius »

Phillinie

A distant wolf howled, waking him from fitful, troubled sleep. Around him the dark forest creaked and moaned as if the gentle breeze was its breath. The others all slept nearby.

The wolf howled again. Much closer this time.

Footfalls of a large animal coming towards him could be heard and a large black stag, as large as a horse, suddenly burst through the underbrush and came to a halt not ten paces away. It stood, watching and waiting, and the wolf howled again, it galloped into the trees and away, snapping branches and twigs as it moved.

A few flickers later, a figure could be seen in the trees outside of the camp. It was tall and lean, and moved like a man, but a crown of antlers sprang from it's head. It stood, watching... waiting...

Two large wolves, much larger than any dog crept into the camp. They were grey and white and padded into the camps of men unafraid and curious. One sniffed at Vale's head, but still the man slept. The figure still stood, silent and watching...

One of the wolves reared it's head back and howled again, it was deafening to be so close. It's yellow gold eyes flashed in the moonlight and it looked directly at Phillinie...

All

The day dawned crisp and cold and the men in the camps begin to stir and awaken. Unlike the morning before, this morning for the army of Dort started under their own command, and guided by their own actions. There were no trumpets or drums, no panic stricken moments of fear and stunned hesitation. The day started much as it was supposed to.

The Count had taken little by way of chance to ensure that relative peace and quiet. Guard patrols had been tripled, shifts changed every two marks, and there was a general uneasiness about the camps that suggested that many were not over the cold, calculated strikes of the Clansman.

Lieutenant Craigh was up early, readying the troop's horses (and a pony for Doran) for the beginning of their expedition and hunt for Ymir. He had gathered up a good deal of supplies and foodstuffs, found a sword and shield for Doran, along with a few other odds and ends to make their life out in the wilderness a bit more comfortable.

He had instructed Tin to stay behind because with her wounds, she would be perhaps more of a liability than an asset on a mission of this type. She argued with him quietly for a few burns, pleading her case and desire to be with her squadmates despite her beliefs regarding Ymir. In the end it was his command, and his decision, and he explained that he had made it with the best of intentions for her well being and survival. She ruefully complied and returned to her tent as the others got ready to depart.

A couple of marks past sunrise, as Craigh began to lead his squad up into the mountains and away from the town, the Count and his army began their invasion of Islay. As they climbed, they could hear the trumpets being blown and the drums being beaten. The sounds of battle lessened slowly, fading away until only the sounds of the horses stamping along could be heard.
Last edited by Vanadius on Thu May 11, 2006 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doran
Civus

Post by Doran »

Doran woke the next morning feeling quite anxious and ready to get moving. After stretching a moment he found Lieutenant Craigh had gotten them horses and a pony for him. A pony Doran smiled to himself he could not hardly believe it he had always wanted one. Doran inspected the pony for few moments checking its feet and the saddle. Although he had really no idea what he was doing just what he had seen others doing to there horses. Looking over the little chestnut colored pony he had almost over looked the shield and sword the Lieutenant had procured for him. Now he thought bring on those traitoress dogs they won't find me weaponless on horseback. Taking the time to stow his belongings in saddle bags he strapped his axe to his back and stowed his sword in its scabbard. Putting his arm through his shield he mounted his steed.

He turned to see Tin arguing with the Lieutenant. He new she wouldn't stay without fight. She turned and looked to be fuming headed for her tent. Well that's that he thought he really didn't think the Lieutenant was going to let her come with them. "I'm going to miss her cooking he muttered" he thought she should been allowed to come. She had right to take Ymir's head as much as any of them maybe more since she was injured in his traitoress attack.

After short while Doran heard the sounds of the retaking of city.
"Well Vale seems the troops are getting some revenge for our dead. I don't know about you ,but I feel kind of envious. You know marching all this way and leaving just before we enter the city. O'well at least we get the better view. Climbing these mountains almost feels like going home to me almost. Come on polly ( talking to his pony) lets guard the rear of this caravan." He slowed till he was last one in his squad climbing up the mountain.

Post by Guest »

Enzirou awoke feeling fairly depressed and quite angry. The fact was that he didn’t want to have to kill Ymir without finding out why he’d betrayed the army. He got dressed slowly equipping all his cloth armour in the correct places. He strapped his sword to the left side of his waist and his arrows and quiver to his back. The training had done some good, as now he felt fully comfortable in his cloth armour. For several minutes he sharpened his sword with his whetstone while the others got ready. “I need to find out why Ymir betrayed us, there has to be a good reason…a man like him wouldn’t just up and leave like that without good reasons”.

He watched as Doran left to see Tin, “I wonder if she’ll feel the same about this whole situation?” He stood up and walked briskly to her tent, as there was little time before they had to leave. He entered the tent and for a moment didn’t say anything, “ Tin…I’m not sure why Ymir betrayed us but I think he may have had a reason to, I intend to find out why he did what he did and if the reason is just I’ll try and stop the others from killing him ”. He grimaced and looked up at her again, “The others seem set on killing him so I have quite a task ahead of me”. A smile broke out onto his face briefly which lightened his whole appearance and for that moment he felt all his troubles disappear. The smile faded and he began to leave, “Take it easy alright”.

He made his way back to the came and packed his gear. He made his way over to where lieutenant Craig had got the horses and strapped his equipment on the black horse in front of him. He quickly put on his black cloak and strapped his buckler onto his right arm. He mounted the horse carefully and got into a comfortable riding position. For a brief moment the horse fidgeted but soon calmed down and began to trust Enzirou. It took him awhile to learn how to ride the horse properly but Enzirou had made progress. While riding he noticed that Doran had already named his horse, “Maybe I should name mine…”Unimaginatively he began to think, “I’ll name him Raion…it’s an alright name I suppose”.
Phillinie

Phillinies late night encounter.

Post by Phillinie »

It was like waking into a fitful dream. The events had an ethereal feeling. The wolf’s howl and the bounding stag that Philline saw through the tent flap when he awoke did not seem to be heard or seen by anyone else in the camp. The guards were not putting up an alarm and no startled cries were coming from anyone of the camp members. With the events of last night, Phill thought that a small scurrying squirrel would cause alarm in the camp if it made noise yet he did not see anyone stir.

Phill started to raise his head and follow with his eyes the path of the wolf and stag. He was not going to forgo the omens like he did the previous night. As he started to track them his eyes fell on the large figure on the edge of camp. His eyes fixed on this barely distinguishable figure. This vision of an antlered man gave even more credence to the dream Phill was nearly convinced he was in. His eyes transfixed on the man like figure, he had not noticed the wolves entering the camp until it had peeked into the tent and sniffed Vale’s head.

Phill had had run in with wolves when he was a boy. But those wolves were skittish and traveled in packs. These were not acting like any wolves he had seen before. They were also much larger and had a presence of fierceness. Even if it was a dream, Phill decided to take action. Failure to do so would be like letting his brother be taken all over again. Phill reached down under his blanket where he had left two of his throwing knives. While he was doing so the second howl came making him wince slightly from the volume. Yet, surprisingly no one moved. He looked directly at the yellow eyes that were examining him. He planned on grabbing his knives and showing the wolf near Vale his sharp fangs. Somehow he was sure that these wolves would understand the message. If they didn’t head then he would have to take further action.

Phill plans on getting his knives and showing them to the wolf standing near vale in hopes to scare him off. If the wolves retreat then Phill will grab his bracers and move to where he saw the antlered gentleman standing. If they do not retreat he will throw one at the wolf trying to let the pommel be the striking end in order to scare it off.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

There was resistance to Phillinie's actions, as if he were moving underwater, or that someone or something were holding him back. His arms and legs seemed impossibly heavy and it was an incredible struggle just to move.

When his hands found his knives, the flesh of his palms seemed to burn and pain lanced up and down the entire length of both arms. His fist enclosed around one knife in particular. It was the knife with the stag on the pommel. Clasping it brought relief from the pain, it was cool and sturdy and brought instant respite from the awful burning.

The figure stood, invisible eyes watching. His hand strayed to where his belt would be and he drew a knife of his own. He held it aloft for Phillinie to see. It had the same markings. The same red leather wrappings. The antlered figured threw the knife and it came straight at Phillinie's head...

Phillinie awoke to the hand of Vale reaching down and shaking his shoulder.

"It's dawn. You were struggling." he said simply before finishing getting ready and mounting up with the others.

They walked at good pace up the slope of the mountain for the better part of the morningtide.

Doran's view from the rear offered some telling signs about the mission they were undertaking. Looking up and forward, he could see the rugged peaks of the mountains straight ahead in their path. The treelines offered little in the way of clues, but the mountain itself showed many places for ambushers to hide in wait.

Looking down and backwards, offered a view that few non highlanders ever saw. It was a very effective vantage in which to see the Count's army stage their invasion of the small town of Hafne.

The Count's army marched forward in several rows of formations and from three sides. The town itself offered up little by way of defences, and the Count moved easily into the town to reclaim it. The sounds of fighting long since faded from their ears, but the entire seen could be seen as they continued up the steep slope of the mountain.

Craigh seemed to be watching and looking back often. He would twist his mount and his head in several directions to check on the army's progress as they continued. Then in a moment of shock, he stopped altogether and pointed.

Hafne was on fire...
Doran
Civus

Post by Doran »

Doran stopped and looked in the direction that lieutenant Craigh was pointing. He sighed and watched the smoke coming up from the city. He had expected this after dealing with these clansmen the day before. He had a feeling they do something like this. They had given him the impression that they would destroy the city before letting the Count have it back. He also figured they fight to the last man. That little suicide run they did the day before told him they meant keep that city or no one was going to have it. These were not unthinking beasts and probably were tracking us or waiting up ahead to ambush us. For all he knew the lieutenant was leading them into trap. No he said to himself can't think like that. The lieutenant had vowed for all them and saved them probably a public execution.

"So lieutenant your expecting to run into these Clansmen soon. I say that because if you thought it be month or so you let Tin come with us on this little head hunt right?"

"So Philline you see any sign of our former leader's trail up here ?"

"You know there are plenty spots to ambush us in the direction where we are headed that I keep your weapons handy lads. There might also be someone tracking us up here. It's not like we were trying cover our trail coming up here and I suggest we go in single file to at for now on. Least might confuse some one of how many of us there are."

He said this to all of fellow comrades. He had been excited about leaving this morning. For now though seeing the city burning the reality of how dangerous this mission really is had sank in and cautiousness had spread over him. He had no desire to end up with his throat cut in his sleep or to be over run with the enemy.

Doran grabbed his reins with his left arm and patted his pony."It's alright polly we won't go down without fight."

Post by Guest »

Enzirou not paying attention to what was going on around continued to ride slowly past the group. Looking up suddenly he brought his horse to a halt and then made his way back to the group again. He looked over at the burning town of Hafne and drew the hood of his black cloak over his head, “I don’t like the way things are going…everything seems to be a bit… easy…” While the group stopped he jumped off his horse and took several moments to stretch, as riding the horse wasn’t a comfortable experience.

"You know there are plenty spots to ambush us in the direction where we are headed that I keep your weapons handy lads. There might also be someone tracking us up here. It's not like we were trying cover our trail coming up here and I suggest we go in single file to at for now on. Least might confuse some one of how many of us there are."

Nodding to Doran Enzirou quickly mounted his horse and went to the back of the line, “If we get into combat they should be able to handle themselves but just in case I’ll be at the back, that way if I spot any enemies I can pick them off with my arrows”. He drew his sheathed sword over to a position where he could draw it easily if his tactics did not work. Whilst trotting past Vale Enzirou caught his attention, “ Do you have your bow and arrows? If so maybe you should go to the middle of the line or at the back with me, that way if we see any enemies we can pick them off quickly and avoid any major combat”.

After his suggestion Enzirou walked round to the back of the line and slowed his pace down so the rest of the group could get into line easily. Raion, the black horse he is riding, whinnied gently almost as if he was trying to reassure the achadhiel. Enzirou looked around once again at the burning town, “I hope our friends back at the camp will be alright…” he reached down and patted the horse gently on the neck as the group continued to move forward to their unknown destination.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Vale’s sense of peril was an odd at times and this displayed even now. He could not help to watch in awe at the sight of the great bonfire. His horse an auburn mare with a white spot on the rear was rather simple but cheerful nonetheless. It seemed little disturbed by the fiery scene that was far away from her. The whole scene was surreal to him as if it wasn’t a real war at all but they were going trail seeking. With some skill he let Cindy climb up the mountain while watching the others struggle to stay in the saddle.

“Be careful lads, riding a horse without ever been in the saddle can get your neck broken. Keep your thighs close on the sides, feet in the straps and gently bob with the motion of the horse. If you don’t do it you likely going to have a very painful back and ass.”

At the word ass he started chuckling his hand covering his face. He always enjoyed a little ride in countryside as a kid in the circus. How fateful was the day when he got canned for supposed theft. As if Vale would ever would steal from the circus itself, rich folk that was another question. Sentence seemed to come natural after being sent to guard captain. He pleaded his case and could be useful in the military forces, death or glory…

“Nice shield Doran I wish I could’ve gotten one myself, a simple targe would’ve even done. Bah, I feel a bit sitting duck up here this task is going to be a pain in the butt. So to lessen that I hope everyone slept well we can’t have someone drowsing off and going flat faced on a druidic rock.”

A bright smile came from the lips of the Achadhiel who tried to lesser the tension with some small humour. Going into treacherous lands to seek out a dangerous man, he was happy he had old Raj’s jacket. The big studded coat seemed to fit a lot better now with wearing the padded suit under it. The suit giving by Ymir was now being worn to seek him and kill his hide.

“Pals, fighting on horseback is almost an impossible task, trust me. Takes many experience and is a recipy for neckbreak, trust the kid of the circus.”
Doran
Civus

Post by Doran »

Doran smiled back at Vale. He honestly thinks that there Achadhiel would smile the whole time while being swallowed by a Dragon. Yep that Achadhiel was good comrade to have on your side at bad time.

"Yeah I glad the lieutenant managed to get me shield and sword. I really don't want to fight on horse back, but I like to be able to if I need arises. It takes two hands to swing my axe no way to fight on horse back. Not that I'm looking to try fight from my saddle. Your right you know I probably end up breaking my neck try it. So Vale your circus brat aye? What did you do there clean up or performer? Wouldn't happen been something on horseback, because any other pointers to help stay in this saddle would be most appreciated."

Doran turned back and looked back at the city. Seeing the city burn he looked at Vale." We probably should have brought Tin with us. Of course I can't say she be any safer with us than with the healers."

Women fighting in war Doran really didn't know what think about that. Especially with group they were travelling with. Mostly merc's and farmers, if she been found out earlier who knows what would happened. She have to watch her back at all times. From clansman there fighting to troops in there own outfit. She is pretty good fighter, but being injured made her a target.

Nothing you can do about it lad (Doran father spoke up as usually did at times like this.) It was her choice she joined the ranks and wasn't your call to bring her or to leave her.

Doran knows his father words have wisdom in them, but he still didn't have to like it.

Post by Guest »

Vale gave a cheerful smile at Doran as he thought back on his circus days. It was fun work with plenty of chances to meet the ladies however the pay was as rotten as his old bosses mouth.

“I did a bit of everything like clowning and acrobatics, you know jumping, rolling and flipping around. I did some work with animals as well for a couple shows until I got sacked. I also handled a lot of animals and shovelled over tons of dung in the process.

Again he looked at the large blaze eating away at the large quantities of timber and wood buildings. The city had been good in the liquor trade and it pained him to see good scotch go to waste. Still in all he could not have too much care about the entire scene. Vale had trouble experiencing emotions as dread or anger. He never got used to the entire concept having experienced it to less to make a lasting image on him. He turned back to Doran giving a smirk of pleasure.

“The hot fox will be able to manage herself as now she is dressed in her professional cloth. A woman wishing to be in battle shouldn’t dress as a man. She should follow the wear a curved sexy lady is befitting, I say. Just like you and I are different in size, build so are women compared to men naturally. Calculate all that together you can decide what is best for you to wear. In my case I thank Ymir for giving me a nice paddy so this jacket Raj gave me fits finally well. It had been a size or two to big still now it finally start to give the protective wear it should. Still… you wanted to see a bit of riding eh?”

He looked around as if he was determining how he was going to show a ride. He decided to display a few steps of a horse on both climbing and going down a small hillside. Keeping his back and shoulders straight, the legs shaped properly along the horse’s flanks he moved around displaying basic moves. Doran could see how Vale moved with each bop of the animal, countering it with a similar motions adding to his balance. Pulling at the reins, giving a nudge with his heels he made the animal turn swift to a right then back to a left. Soft clicking with his tongue he tried to make the mare feel at ease as he did slalom across the area. Going back up as well as down all could see how to sit on a horse however for those without any skill it was going to be a very long day.

“These are ye basics of climbing not to hard to learn, it is all about balance and how you handle you legs, shoulders and back. I can ride without holding the reins if needed and some small tricks like hanging sideways or laying backwards on it. I won’t show these though I doubt any officer seeing it will enjoy the sight of it. We are suppose to be working, teehehe”

With a wink a big smile remerged on his face hard to determine if he was serious or making a prank. Vale was good upon a horse better then most men, even able to shoot his short bow in somewhat decent manner. Litheness was everything and this trip was just extra experience to aid to his skill in this. He was willing to share a bit of skill. Sadly though it would be better for the ones without any skill to take a mark or two getting used to the feel.
Phillinie

Post by Phillinie »

Phillinie awoke with a start. The vision of his dagger coming right at him still lingering in his mind. He shook his head as if to get the sight of it wiped away. Some how even while in the dream he knew it was a dream but it did not make it feel any less real. While the omens and portens were building up, Phill did not want to seem like some flighty shool girl. It was just a dream, he told himself. Still the feel of dread hung over him as he packed his bags and set off to his assigned horse.

His horse turned out to be a large pony suitable for his smaller size and weight. It looked to be in very good shape, a light brown and white stockings on three of the four feet. He had one of the nearby handlers show him the proper way to put on the bridle, bit and saddle. They also helped him balance his pack on the back of horse. With that complete, he swung his leg over the side, adjusted the stirrups and headed for the muster point. He tried in vain to make it look like he had a bit more experience on the horse than he had. The horse and the new armor made him feel very uncomfortable with the whole situation.

What am I getting myself into here. Too many new things and I'll end up like Tin or worse.

It was nearly impossible for him to get into the proper rhythm with the horse. He tried using martial art techniques of center and balance. It kept him firmly in the saddle but did nothing to stop the jarring. It would take a few days and a couple of tender nights to make this riding natural. Phill was contemplating on the previous nights dream and was relatively quite and to himself as they started their journey. He was watching the others as they rode looking for pointers and hints to make his ride easier. It was clear to Phill that fighting from horseback would be tantamount to suicide. If a battle cam he planned on sliding off the horse as quick as possible maybe using it for a shield.

He pulled up with the others at the lieutenants startle stop and looked down at the burning village. It would be a bitter victory for the Count. It looked like he could walk in to the town now but to what end. And the town was sure to blame him for lack of protection. Only the success of our mission could possible bring him any honor, thought Phill. That is why we are marching toward the hornets nest. He was unable to discern weather the people were able to get out of those burning buildings or if the carnage was much more than just the blazed structures.

Post by Guest »

Enzirou remained on his horse thinking about the way things had taken a much darker tone since the time when he’d joined the war. The achadhiel wished to return to Dort and maybe even Pan’s Isle at some point. Enzirou was lost in his thoughts and the burning image behind him was pushed out of his mind. Not being in a talking mood he remained quiet and observed the rest of the group. Part of him couldn’t understand how some of the group looked forward to forward to killing Ymir, he was their former commander after all and had helped them to settle in. No matter he would have to find out why he’d betrayed them.

Vale seemed to be advising the group on how to ride their horses comfortable and the information seemed to be very useful, as Enzirou wasn’t finding the horse riding a particularly comfortable experience. Following Vale’s example he kept a straight back and countered the horses movements with similar ones. He found that by following these instructions his riding was more comfortable and enjoyable. Enzirou thought about how he would fight if the enemy ambushed them, “Well I’ll probably have to dismount as I’m still not well versed in riding properly and if I tried to fight whilst on horseback I wouldn’t be able to help the group well”.

He continued to practice these movements and slowly but surely began to work with horse more easily. He eventually stopped practicing and took up his position at the back again. The horse was restless and began to whinny softly, “This horse has quite the personality”, he smiled and stroked the horse’s neck in an attempt calm it down. Being brought up in Pan’s Isle had had given love for nature but his human side had made him more destructive towards it. His time being in the army had been a learning experience and Enzirou knew that he would carry these lessons throughout his entire life.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Craigh answered Doran's question while he surveyed the scene far below.

"To be honest with you Doran, I'm half surprised we have not yet encountered them. But we are still quite a bit below the markings for their holy places. Stay sharp. They are bound to strike at us when we least expect it."

The last words seemed to give the Lieutenant an idea, so he motioned for all of the them circle in close. When they had finally reached where he wanted them, he spoke in a low voice, keeping quiet so that it would be more difficult to overhear.

"Before long, we'll be in their lands. Bear in mind that Ymir knows a great deal about how we move, how we act, and how we respond, so we're going to have to show him that the bag of tricks we know did not all come from him."

"Enzirou had a fine idea about arrows and striking from a distance. We need to take advantage of that. Ymir knows of our ground tactics, but arrows are not likely something he would expect. Vale, you and Enzirou need to keep those bows at the ready from this point on."

"Our mission alone will be a rather rude surprise to them, I doubt they would expect anyone to come up here to try and enact any sort of revenge, so we need to keep that advantage as long as we can. We need to refrain from loud noises, they carry well up here. No cookfires either. We need to stay hidden as long as we can."

"Now then. Does anyone feel that they can pick up Ymir's trail?"

Post by Guest »

"Before long, we'll be in their lands. Bear in mind that Ymir knows a great deal about how we move, how we act, and how we respond, so we're going to have to show him that the bag of tricks we know did not all come from him."

“So we’re close to Ymir and some answers”. Enzirou was still intent on finding out why Ymir had betrayed the Count. He listened intently to the lieutenant yet thought of what would happen if he eneded coming face to face with the traitor, what would he ask him? What would happen if he was left without any answers? The thoughts still wandered through his head as Liutenant Craigh made his next suggestion.

"Our mission alone will be a rather rude surprise to them, I doubt they would expect anyone to come up here to try and enact any sort of revenge, so we need to keep that advantage as long as we can. We need to refrain from loud noises, they carry well up here. No cookfires either. We need to stay hidden as long as we can."

"Now then. Does anyone feel that they can pick up Ymir's trail?"

Enzirou looked around at the group re-calling what he’d seen of each member both inside and out of battle. He first looked at Doran, “Doran seems to be a more combat orientated warrior, not the scouting type”. His eyes wandered to Vale, “He's shown he has many skills so he may be a good scout”. Philline was the last person that Enzirou analysed, “We both were taught by Ymir on that reconnaissance mission so maybe we should scout together…after all two heads are better than one”. He spoke just above a whisper so that if they were being watched or listened too the information being spoken would'nt be easy to pick up, “Myself and Phill both went on a scouting mission with Ymir and learnt a lot from him, but the problem is that Ymir would is wise and would’ve covered his tracks as well as possible, so it would be fairly hard to know exactly what to look for”.

Post by Guest »

Vale looked slightly annoyed as he found it hard to admit that his scouting ability was rather tyro. He tried hiding it with a smile still it was a sour one. Looking around the scene he could make out a hare trail or perhaps it was a rabbit? With some nuisance he gazed over the floor he could see footprints, still not of who or how old they were.

“I can see a few prints still I cannot tell anything more then that. I think Tin is better at this sort of stuff she knew Ymir a longer time I understand. She is a gal from the rural lands she likely more able to cope with it.”

It was Vale way of saying don’t look at me I am a lad with little knowledge of rural travel. He was now able to muster a larger smile gazing at Phillinie and Enzirou. They had gotten lessons from Ymir he wasn’t sure how much they had gotten from it.

“Didn’t you guys have learned some trail seeking from Ymir? Tin told me Ymir was really a master at it still he had some shortcomings. I think if he wanted to be found he would have allowed a trail… If we only had Tin… She could’ve done this at an expert degree now we just bumbling around huh?”
Vale again distanced himself from the task of finding a trail. The guys would have to find on them. Hide was something Vale was reasonable good he life had helped secure that. Seek was something he was not so well at as he never had to go look for people. He looked back at where they came from hoping for a miracle Tin would come past the hill all better and able to help.
Doran
Civus

Post by Doran »

"So we're walking right into a hornet's nest aye. Just curious Lieutenant exactly how many are you expecting to run into? I assume your expecting the nest to be mostly empty. For if it isn't well are chances of success are slim at best."

"I'm not much of tracker. I do know some about mountain terrain,but tracking well trained scout that doesn't want to be found that's different story altogether. Unless of course he wants to be found. Then he'll leave clues to lure us in and spring his trap. So if any of you have been trained by Ymir on his scouting techniques best be on your toes."

More he thought about it the less he was liking there chances for success in this mission.

"There is one thing I do know Ymir like's quick strikes. Get in and get out strikes. "

Doran remembered his first meeting with Ymir. The man looked strait at him and told him tactics. Thought my armor was hinderance to way he leads his missions. Look at the way they were hit the other night. Exactly the way Ymir like to strike. It was quick, quiet, and deadly yes Ymir was definitely behind that.

Doran spun around halfway expecting to see Ymir jump out from behind the nearest tree. He scanned the tree tops looking for any unusual signs. The longer he thought about it,the more determined he was not to fall into Ymir's hands.

"Vale I think your right if we find Ymir's trail it's, because he wants us to. "
Phillinie

Post by Phillinie »

Phillinie remained rather quite as they progressed toward their goal. He was lost in his thoughts of the dream he had awoken too in the morning and his beginning acceptance of Ymir's betrayal. The occasional sudden jolt of his young pony would focus his attention on matters at hand but he quickly slipped back into his own thoughts.

During one of these jolts, he heard Vale instruction some simple movements and basic riding drills for horses. Phill listened intently and tried to mimic the instructions. He thought some improvements were being made but he was still felt he was still far from being able to fight or even perhaps flee quickly on horseback with our breaking is neck.

The drills helped him focus on the hear and now so when it came time for Craigh's answer to Dorn's question he was actively listening.

"Sir, I agree with trying to keep the noise level down and no cook fires, but when we start to get closer, do think it is wise for all of us to remain on horseback. They certainly make more noise than a scout on foot. I also expect that the clansmen are very familiar with their territory and will have lookouts along the easier passages to get to their location." Phillinie said to Craigh.

"I also agree with the others, the only way we are going to find ymir's tracks is if he wants us too. And if he wants us too, more than likely it will be a trap. A better hope would be to find evidence of some other less skilled men have gone by leaving a trace to the camp."

Turning to the rest of his group, " We should also be surveying out a any potential places we may be able to set up our own snare. Or think of a way to lure Ymir away from the others once we have found him. Our squad obviously is ill equipped to take on the whole clan, besides our duty here is justice."
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The town of Hafne burned, and with it was the concern of the army and those in it to the Lieutenant and his squad. It was a disturbing thing really, seeing the town on fire. Something had to have gone wrong in the attack for that to be happening that way. In all of the Count's plans, he never said anything about fire. Fire was a dangerous thing in Hafne. The small town was full of fish oil and whiskey, both were great friends of flame. The lieutenant silently hoped it had been the Count's idea to fire the town.

Craigh seemed to take in the various replies and give each careful consideration. It was obvious that he was taking their words and this mission very seriously and wanted to do his best to keep them all alive.

"I'm unsure of their numbers master Doran. Most of the Clans are fairly large, but up here in their holiest of places, I just don't know. We're going to do everything we can to avoid a stand up fight and not have to worry too much about that. We're trying to do them, what they did to us, like you said, surprise and strike."

He gripped the reins of his horse tightly, biting his lower lip in concentrated thought.

"Perhaps if we can locate them, we can use those arrows to an advantage. You all are a good deal more cunning than I gave you credit for. Perhaps the best way is to lure him into a trap of our making. The problem is, what bait do we use? How can we somehow signal Ymir without bringing the rest of the clan down on our heads?"
Last edited by Vanadius on Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doran
Civus

Post by Doran »

Doran listened carefully to Lieutenant's words. It's obvious the he wants this mission to succeed. He said he didn't know how many there would be at this holy place he thought.

Draw the fox out aye? That's not bad idea not bad idea at all. Only thing is what would draw him out mostly by himself?

He thought this over in his mind. How would you draw Ymir out? Do we have anything he would want? He looked at the Lieutenant and smiled.

"Sir how was your relationship with the Ymir. Do you think he come out of hiding to personally to care of you? If so maybe we could use you. Tell him were just looking for safe passage through and use you for trade? When he comes out to get you we strike? Of course you would be armed might even get to plant the knife he left in our backs in traitorous throat maybe?

"Of course I'm open for suggestion's? Any of you hated by Ymir maybe thought possibly valuable? I did stand by count side when he was attacked maybe I should be the bait?"

"Getting him to come to us let him fall in our trap instead of his. I think it's our best shot, but your call Lieutenant."

Doran turned back to see flames ingulfing the whole city. Well the Count will get the city back ,but he may not want it when its over with.

Post by Guest »

Vale did all but laugh thinking of the ‘let’s use the Lieutenant for bait tactic’. He could picture him tied to a pole by a piece of string and the rest waiting for the beast to show weapons armed. Sadly it was likely not going to be accepted he doubted any officer would enjoy being used as bait.

“Eh, I think if someone is going to be used for bait it surely not going to be me. Also a good question is did he even notice you being annoying Doran, doubt that. Let’s be honest here we can lay a trap still… we are on his turf so technically we always lose.”

The way Vale said it sounded like he was not taking the whole count’s mission serious. If it were up to him he’d abandon the whole notion, dying for some count was not his style.

“Ymir is a master at survival and skilled partisan of some clan I do not even know the name of. We best can do some simple scouting and if we find nada we go home. Maybe we should go home now already saves the effort?”

The kid cared little for the lieutenant stripes the day before he was just a shabby lad like everyone else. The quick promotion seen for him left a man in charge that was clueless about how to do this mission. Knowing the entire situation he wanted to quit while he was alive courage never had been Vale’s strong point.

Post by Guest »

Enzirou listened to all their suggestions and saw the strengths and weaknesses in them. He stood quietly with the rest of them and tried to figure out how they would trap Ymir. He thought back to the begining, when he'd first met Ymir but still he could not think of anything.

“Ymir is a master at survival and skilled partisan of some clan I do not even know the name of. We best can do some simple scouting and if we find nada we go home. Maybe we should go home now already saves the effort?”

He looked up at Vale in surprise, "What would be the point of turning back? We've come this far, we may as well continue". His eye's betrayed a hint of anger as he did not agree Vale's selfish reasoning. He quickly got over the comment and continued to form a plan.

Thinking back again he remebered Ymirs sword. He remembered that Ymir had seemed attached to the sword and maybe could be drawn out by the sight of seeing somone else wield it. "No...there needs to be more depth to the plan..." He quickly began to run different scenarios through his head and came to a conclusion, " If I take the sword and draw Ymir out alone then maybe I can ask him why he betrayed us...but if that dose'nt work..."

He looked up at Liutenant Craig and voiced his plan, " Ymir seemed fairly attached with his sword if one of continued the journey alone we may be able to draw him out, the rest of us would follow far enough behind to keep watch on the person carrying the sword and if Ymir showed himself the rest of the group would catch up quickly...or something...this idea maybe far fetched but we may be able to make something else out of it".

Post by Guest »

Vale had thought little notion of this first still he found it logically to use the sword of Ymir as bait. Still the notion that the traitor had abandoned the edge suggested that perhaps it was not that well founded. He cared little about it as any excuse for going back felt good for hesitant Vale.

“It could be a good idea to get it so why don’t we go back and retrieve it?”

Surely we can then you know perhaps talk it out with people who knew him well before plunging in the deep? Vale bit his teeth revealing a sing of annoyance of the entire situation. Would a mere group of rookies with barely any survival skill be able to catch partisan as Ymir? It sounded as suicide to the ears of the circus lad and he really wanted a better idea then lets venture out without a clue.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Craigh looked somewhat puzzled by Doran's inquiry of his relationship with Ymir. As the hardy dwarf warrior further explained, Craigh seemed interested by the thought.

"Aye, we weren't the best of friends, but nor were we the worst of enemies. Our biggest fight was over Captain Marten. Although Ymir followed ever single order Mar... the Captain ever issued, there were some he carried out in his own way just to be a pain in the ass. One day I called him out on it. He's a strong, strong man. Punched me in the mouth and dropped me to the dirt. I got up and went after him. Took a dozen or so to separate us until we cooled off. One fella actually dumped a bucket on my head. It was a fight that was never resolved, but hardly something that he would come after me for..."

He trailed off for a moment, listening to the Vale and Enzirou.

"Esmerelda?" The Lieutenant puzzled over that specific topic. He dismounted from his horse and began to dig into his saddlebags. He withdrew a bundle and unwrapped it. It was Esmerelda.

"I took this sword to end his life with. Somehow it seemed a fitting gesture of vengeance and it kept the others from taking it...."

He thrust the large blade into the dirt and stood back for everyone to see it.

"But is it enough? Can this gaudy thing be enough to draw him out?"

He sat and stared at it.

"It might be. It's certainly worth a try. Gods know he loved the thing. Spent all his time polishing and sharpening it. Said he named it after one of his kids." Craigh chuckled. "Imagine a big bastard like that running around with children."

He seemed lost in thought for a moment before he raised his head to address them all once more.

"What say you gents? You have a say so in this, it's your bloody necks too. Think we should try to draw him out with this?"
Phillinie

Post by Phillinie »

Phillinie was quiet, taking in the conversation of his group on how best to trap the rat. It was fairly clear that this bunch of newly trained ruffians was no match for a whole Clan no matter what the size. It would be imperative to get Ymir out and alone. Vale’s comment of turning back now or just kind of “scout around simply” stuck Phill as slightly cowardice and definitely gave a view into his companions state of mind. He was not one to be trusted to do more than save his own skin. Well, he might perform well as long as he is not in danger.

It sounded like a plan was slowly forming by the time Craig reveled Esmeralda. Phill was pleased to see the sword. He had entertained thoughts of using it against Ymir but did not know how. Phill’s skill with the larger blades was non-existent. He was also intrigued by Sergeant Craig’s information about the lage blade being named after Ymir’s child.

“It is an unusual thing to name your blade after one of your children unless that child is already dead and you are using it for revenge. The loss of a child can also be push to join a fanatical clan such as the one we are pursuing. If true, his motives are clearer now. He must blame the Count for his loss and has been plotting his revenge. That revenge complete he left the sword behind. Our newness to the large force and lowness of position likely saved us from having our throats cut in the beginning of the raid. Yir did not hold us to blame for his loss.

I am sure the sword still holds emotional value for him. It represents his child. How to best use it may be determined by the location of the clan when we find it and the terrain nearby. The best scenario I can thin of would be something like this.”

Phill closed his eyes for a second while he envisioned the plan.

“We find a small clearing or opening not too far from the clan encampment. The clearing would need to be one where we have trees to hide in or rocks to hide behind for the bowmen to have cover but still be in easy target range. We place the blade in the ground with a note tied to the handle just like he did at our camp. The quickest of us needs to find Ymir in his camp and cause Ymir to chase him to the clearing right pass the sword. If it works well he will see the sword and at a minimum stop to look at it. If we are reall lucky will try to read the note. At this pint the ranged weapons could come into plany and take him your or at least quickly damage him to an extent that we could finish off the job.”

Phill opened his eyes, “That is one scenario if we can find the right layout. I am sure some of you could come up with others.” Phill looked around to the others in his group.

Post by Guest »

OOC:Sorry for the short post. This is the only time this week that I'll be able to post.

Enzirou was beginning to feel impatient as no action was being taken. He felt time slipping away and began to worry that an oppourtune moment to talk to Ymir might pass him by. He listened intently to both Liutenant Craig and Phillinie. He thought about Phillinie's plan, "The plan seems sound and it's elaborated on our first idea". He looked at Liutenant Craig, "Sir Phillinie's plan has elaborated on the the idea we came up with earlier, maybe we should use it and I believe I should take the sword into the as I can run faster than most men, but if any one thinks otherwise they are free to say so".

Return to “Dort Archive”