Outside Divale (Samheen 26th, ET)

Moderator: Mods

Jolanda

Post by Jolanda »

Meanwhile, outside...

Jolanda scowled, it was all she could do to halt herself from letting out a whoop! She'd caught his interest, which only confirmed Rosalie's concerns that they were a threat, there was only one way to go and that was deeper. And deeper Jolanda was happy to plunge, sensing that there was going to be a tidy little profit at the end of this path.

"You suggest I've misplaced my alliance?" she spoke slowly, measuring out her breath carefully, eyes endeavoring to focus better upon the pretty boy, he didn't seem a physical threat. No, the danger would be crossing him, but then dangers could be minimized when one was aware of them. "Yes, a brief walk Eisolf." she used his name familiarly.

"It is my goal, to advance my business endeavors, I believed foreign trade was a route with much prospects... perhaps partially it was opportunity that had me think this, for Lady Russo was within my sights at the same time that I faced this dilemma, it seemed an opportunity I had to take advantage of somehow. If there is another option, I would like to hear of it. I am new to the business world."

"Marcada..." she paused to look at him soberly, "a name with connotations of success in that field, I think as far as an advisor goes, you might hold more credentials than the Lady Consul. Yet trade, even of information, relies upon an agreement, an exchange. What exchange would you wish of me for your advice?"

She'd seen how the waiter had behaved with the male twin, she suspected this was not a man who was going to ask sexual favors (from a female at least), and she hoped he was going to suggest she tattle on Rosalie in exchange for deeper secrets to how business was done in the Citadel.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Alliance? Did you say misplaced your alliance?" smiled Eisolf, pacing slowly alongside Jolanda towards one corner of Divale. If Lucienda arrived with the carriage and did not find him, she would no doubt know his mind and his actions...she always did...and she would leave. That would be...annoying...but perhaps ideal. "An alliance, milady, is that which you make with those who might benefit you. Recently I have seen this...Madam Lo Russo introduce you as well as she might introduce her footman or her servant..." which meant not at all, of course. "So you are...either hoping to appear as her handservant or her footman...perhaps deliberately...to advance your business endeavors? Or perhaps it suits you to appear at odds with the foreigner as some type of ruse? I can think of no other reason you would willingly remain at her side, unless she pays you well. Does she...pay you well, milady?" he smiled, his posture one of perfection and poise.

"I confess to you, I...truly am no great mind at business or trade, but I am something of a...master...at society. Indeed, if the lady's public cruelty is outweighed by the benefits of her business teachings or the weight of her gold, then you have found a fine place indeed. You should hold her loyalty close regardless of what people think...such as the doorman who, after that display, must hold the opinion that you are her chasing lapdog. I have found that one's reputation can be traded for coin, and often enough, such a trade suits them."

The reached the first corner, but Eisolf did not lead them around the corner, for he would not bring Jolanda into any dark alleyways. I should wait for the third rendezvous before we adventure to THAT height, chuckled Eisolf inwardly. Instead, they continued along the main boulevard, well within the few street lamps and the scattering of people moving around in the distance. A perfectly safe position for both parties.

In truth, Eisolf didn't really know what he was doing...but he couldn't stop himself. Oh, perhaps there was a measure of attraction? After all, she was a dortwoman, and a lovely one, and sadly in need of a more fitting association. There was no great advantage to continuing this walk...this conversation...this argument...but he could not stop. A dangerous affair to be attracted. "I should think milady would have countless other options available to her. A lovely, educated young lady such as yourself would find limitless interest in such a place as this."
Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant
Jolanda

Post by Jolanda »

Jolanda bristled as Eisolf reiterated the lack of introduction. While she had felt affronted, how he described it made it seem even worse… she felt suddenly very pleased that she had left after all.

“I am not her hand servant…” her eyes flashed with indignation, “I had thought I was her colleague, but you are right… the lady betrayed her opinion of me this evening.” At that moment she was angry at Rosalie, most of all for being so nice to her previously, a grudging pout was on her lips.

He did not need to tell her that he was a master at society, she could feel him, feel his insidious words working into her very bones. Keep your head, she tried warn herself, Of course he will say all this, curse him for sounding so right.

“I’ve not been brought,” sulkily she protested, “As for appearances, I had thought I’d gain a measure of visibility by keeping her company. There are many ways to skin a cat, and if she wouldn’t come through with agreements to assist my enterprises, I imagined I might be considered more seriously by others in the city by my association with her – however, little good that is if she will not introduce me to anyone important!” which in essence was what Rosalie had done tonight, either consciously or not.

The path he lead her mind along was difficult to resist. Jolanda fell silent, the loosely formed plans in her mind undergoing a reshuffle. If I do not stand with the Consul… might I stand with Macada? But what guarantee would I have not be tricked by him also? No, I must stand independent, and let the highest bidder win. The playing field has only grown bigger.

“Yes, yes there are other options,” she halted her steps and looked up then at she smooth and attractive man. It’s a pity he’s a fag, it would be easier if he wasn’t. Jolanda’s misperception of Eisolf had her rule out the strength feminine devices might have upon him. “Opportunities that must be explored,” blinking she tried focus him into clarity in effort to read the nuances upon his face.

“Do you believe in the fates Eisolf?” she spoke in a softer tone, a tone she had used in her brief trade as a charlatan fortuneteller, a tone of quiet insight, “That chance and accident are not so haphazard, but are the designs of the gods moving within our lives, lives that might seem a thin pursuit of thrill, until that pivotal moment when everything falls into place. I believe. And I think our meeting tonight, in such circumstances, is a beginning of greater things than either of us can yet know.”

“Had the Consul not slighted me so, had I not left, had we not met as I was about to return, had you not advice you might offer… we would know nothing more of each other but names and faces. Yet here we are, with greater insight into each other, for the string of happenings that brings us together at this point.” she paused, knowing she needed to offer him some reason this meeting might benefit him. “I ought perhaps tell you, that amongst my negotiations with Lo Russo, midst the rings she set me to jump though to earn her signature upon a trade document, she asked me to learn of you and your sister. I think you have a unique opportunity right now… to give me the words you would want her to hear. In exchange I would like an introduction to Crane or Haut-LeDoc. Buy why ought you trust me to keep my word and not be turned by the Consuls entreaty when she quizzes me further? She will, no doubt. Well, I shall give you this…which none in my current circle know,” she took a breath, drawing out the revelation.

“My father owns a candleshop, the trade agreement I seek he would be unable to fulfill, I am aiming way over my head Eisolf… I am confidant that once I get an agreement I can find a manner in which to satisfy it.” She could sell such a contract for hundreds of crowns she figured, “But as yet, I am a merchant without a product – which is a scandal given what I am attempting, a scandal that you now hold. You could break my future before it has even begun if you revealed this to the right, or is it wrong, people. Thus, you may be certain that I shall not cross you Eisolf.”
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Oh, my dear...I do indeed respect fate or providence! How I am fate's fool just now, in fact. You see, my notions of fate are perhaps boyish, romantic, and small. I had hoped your continued interest in me might be a product of your own more private, perhaps animal designs, though I now find that you have...professional requirements to maintain my acquaintance. How very western of you," smiled the lordling.

"Indeed, you would offer me alliances and deals instead of romance. In exchange for Rosalie's ear, you would have me introduce you to Guilhelm or Thomas...and you have offered me comfort in our dealings by surrendering to me leverage that I simply cannot use! Hahaha, milady, you claim to be a merchant with nothing to sell, and yet you have already sold yourself nicely! Why, even my end of that bargain only benefits you, hahahaha!" chuckled the man, one of his hands shifting slighting to touch Jolanda's own.

"Well. I think that we may be good friends. I believe this because we have little over which we compete. I am certainly not a man of business or trade, like my father or you or your Western patroness...and so you need not fear betrayal from me. And because we will be such good friends, I will provide you information you might pass on to Rosalie such that she will value you and keep sending you to me for more. Perhaps she will even learn to treat you as a proper lady, if such a lesson can be learned by a Westerner. This suits the both of us, I believe...a mutually beneficial agreement, so to speak. And I will arrange your introduction to Guilhelm, if you wish it, though that cannot happen immediately."

It wouldn't be hard for Eisolf to come up with a large number of very precious facts for the Western Lady to enjoy. Indeed, the greater challenge would be to withhold them and release them at just the right pace to insure he kept her attention. After all, Eisolf might truly be the ideal spy against his own father and his own nation, for he truly didn't care about either, and having a set of ears in the Western Embassy might be useful some day. He didn't know how, but...at least it was possible. The truly exciting thing was that Eisolf began to smell genuine upon Jolanda. It was her request that drove it home. She wanted to meet the Masters of Crime...a reasonable request, sure...but did she not know that Rosalie had met both men on the same night perhaps a day ago? Indeed, the lady has denied you. I wonder if you knew this? Or perhaps you were too proud to ask of anything more from your Western overseer?

"Perhaps we should go somewhere more appropriate for such detailed discussions? I have a private place in the Patrician's Ring...a lovely little tenement with a warm hearth and several little crocks of tangerine preserves where we might speak at great length and in great privacy. Shall I wave us a carriage to spirit us there directly? As we go, you might tell me a few things that would help me provide you the most useful information for your mistress. For example, what do you know of her impending marriage to my father? And are you aware that Baron Marcada has already arranged a trade deal with one Western Merchant in the last couple days? Are you aware of Baron Marcada's connections and what kind of impact her association to him might have? And are you currently married or perhaps intimately close to anyone just now?"
Jolanda

Post by Jolanda »

And again Jolanda's thoughts were reshuffled. Wants a romp does he? She gave a girlishly embarrassed laugh, as though he had caught her out - though it was more her embarrassment at having 'guessed' him wrongly. "But a lady cannot just say such a think can she?" she batted her lashes flirtatiously.

The conversation was indeed far more genuine than Jolanda felt comfortable with, lies are far easier to weld, the truth often far less interesting or conveniant. "Who is to say we cannot have both?" she spoke in a quiet voice - yet already she felt success was within her grasp, now why would she let him bed her when it was unnecessary? No. Better to leave him keen. She gave a delicate gasp as he touched her hand, feigning doe-like fright.

"Tangerine preserves?" she met his eyes, wondering how often such an offer had lured ladies to his love nest - for surely that was what his apartment was, she was almost curious to see it, and curious to whether a lord's kiss felt any different to a commoners? "But I cannot, at least not right now. The very plans we are forming necessitate that I return to Lady Lo Russo before long. She is not overly patient, and will even not, I expect, be irritate at my having left her to her own devices."

Glancing down the street to ensure no one seemed particularly to be watching them, she caught his hands and backed away, drawing him off to the side and into the shadows. "Such a union ours might be..." her voice was a mere whisper, mingling with her Jasmine perfume, "Tonight is indeed one blessed by destinies promise."

All the while her head swum with confusion, though the lordling professed he didn't know much of merchant things, he knew rather more than Jolanda - the ease in which details slipped of his tongue proving to her that he was worth her attention. Though she felt betrayed that Rosalie l had not told her she was engaged. "I did not know any of those things, nor do I understand their impact. There is so much you might teach me, I hope I might be sent to you often. It makes me wonder what sort of threat the Consul thinks you are to her, that she gave me a mission to discover more about you? It may have been the first mistake she made no?" she gave a conspirational grin, "Wouldn't she seethe to know what we plan?"

"But, yes, I am in a marriage of sorts. Yet, neglected." again she told the truth, well mostly, she didn't know why.. though felt more alive to do so. "Oughtn't you kiss me?" she upturned her lips, though everything else about her revealed she was ready to quickly return to the Divale. She'd baited the hook, it ws for him to arrange a future meeting if he wished one. Jolanda knew there was no advantage to a girl to appear desperate.
Last edited by Jolanda on Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Now, now, now..." a long, elegant finger grazed over Jolanda's cheek to settle lightly over her lips as Eisolf smiled down at her with bright ebullience and mischief. "It is unseemly to offer appetizers for a course that will never follow. You have the right of it, of course. If you do not return to her at once, poor Rosalie will suffer the jealousies of knowing that you enjoyed the breathless, frantic attentions of a gentleman and she did not. She will never be content if you find greater happiness than her own, I think. I suspect she would resist such temptations tonight as well, for she would not want to leave you alone while she sought her own gratification," he added, though such a comment was laughable...and designed only to spotlight it's incredulity. "Or perhaps she has already made her own arrangements?"

"Now I will turn our course and take you back, milady. And as I walk, I beg you will allow me a minor indiscretion?" he simpered, a very strange and ludicrous request given his earlier line of talk. "I would weep to hear you had become western, milady. It is...typical of a western woman to give herself to suffer for the sheer masochism of it. They would give themselves to be virtuous and chaste and righteous, and they would expect it in others. I would not have you truly believe this. No doubt your lady has already...found her own particular friend for such an occasion, and while he may not be so pleasant as to offer tangerine preserves, his want will be much the same. If you were to watch her closely at night, I suspect you might see this for yourself. The westerners are, like all people of this world, not so virtuous as they would give others to believe."

True to his word, Eisolf draw away from Jolanda and turned her back towards Divale. They had not come very far, but they would have a few moments before they would regain the door. "Now I will tell you something that might increase your value to your lady considerably. It is...only a taste of what I might offer you, and something you may pass along to Rosalie directly. Perhaps soon you will come to me looking for something for yourself? I shall hope for such a visit, but for now, I will succumb to your beauty and reveal to you some vital secret for her benefit."

"Earlier on the twenty fifth, my father went to visit his friend and patron, Duke Erwin von zu Dort-Billigh in the Patrician's Ring. Oh, no doubt they spoke of many things...but it has come to my attention that the Duke's wife, Lady K'mith, found upon the Baron a most unusual spell that affected him savagely...and she was so good as to break the enchantment completely. While this information may hold little value or meaning to you or me, I suspect your lady may find it shockingly intriguing. Yes, shockingly intriguing indeed..."

Post by Guest »

The mercenary left the company of the Lady Lo Russo in an attempt to find her friend Jolanda. He stepped outside and took a look around to see if he could spot anyone that matched the description he'd been given.

He glanced around and although he saw a few people bravely wandering the streets, there did not seem to be anyone that was likely her. He found this somewhat disturbing, and decided that if there were monsters, harbor monsters or boardwalk slayers to be more precise, roaming these streets, perhaps it would be best if he lingered here in the shadows and waited to see if she would return, or perhaps he might spot something suspicious by way of men watching, waiting, or worse, already with a woman and seeking the shadows for privacy himself.

He knew there would be little harm in waiting for a few burns outside. Madam Creece might just turn up as he waited, or better yet, a monster and killer of women might just assume that no one was watching, and make a mistake.
Jolanda

Post by Jolanda »

Jolanda grinned, trying not to giggle with glee that Eisolf saw right through her - and did not care! "Frantic? Oh don't tease me!" she protested, deciding that if a lover she would take, he would certainly be fun.

"Oh but you want to talk about her," she gave a girlish pout, moving to accompany him back to the Divale, "She does seem a prude, why she fairly lectured me not to flirt with any of the men... but do you think she did that because she thought I was competition?" she raised a brow, her ego in such things sufficient to believe it true. "Though how on earth she'd ever rendezvous with any man is beyond me, I have my own fears that after tonight it shall be near impossible to get away from the Embassy. I shall be doubly forlorn now, you are rather fun company Eisolf. I have no intention of suffering martyrdom myself, how ever saintly it might appear - really, I fear I might have some Dominican halo about my head already, tell me isn't so!"

She enjoyed the way he spoke, how he scattered so many seeds within the conversation that her mind craved to give everything more attention, she just knew she would ponder this conversation for days to come... it was entirely frustrating and satisfying at the same time.

Her eyes narrowed, as she tried to work out the secret behind what he was telling her, this secret that held importance to Rosalie. "You know what it means don't you," she whispered, "this information means something to you too. You know I am going to press you to tell me more... later." she promised, discovering the thought of doing so was rather pleasant. "Have you placed me in debt to you? Oh... yes you have! But that was ever so naughty of you." her eyes flashed thinking it rather thrilling really, with the side effect of having her feel awfully thirsty as she thought about Tangerines.

Nearly back at the Divale, she attempted to gather composure back about her, so it was in a breezy tone she then asked, "It is perhaps usual, to provide an address where debts might be repaid, have you a calling card perhaps?" She didn't notice anything unusual about, though she wasn't particularly looking for harbor monsters and boardwalk slayers... really the charming Lord Marcada had gained far more of her interest than she would have wished him to have.

It was all Antonio’s fault of course.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"It seems to me you have not suffered a Dominican halo quite yet, milady, but your dear patroness' strict orders to not enjoy yourself among the men of her Embassy are a clear design to inflict one upon you. After all, if she cannot enjoy herself fully, then why should she allow you such a thing?" reasoned Eisolf easily. "Thankfully, you may have the best of both worlds. To the men of her Embassy, you might be aloof and pious, if you wish. And yet when you visit me, you may be happy. And I'm afraid you have smoked my intentions fully, milady. I do know the portends of my message for you...and I know a great many other things that might help you. And I have every intention of revealing all for little more than the opportunity to make you...truly happy."

Just outside Divale, Karsch could see a distant pair approaching, a lady and a gentleman by all appearances. They were still close in conversation...and quite beyond his ability to hear...but they seemed rather harmless, with not a weapon upon either of them. Beyond them, a carriage rounded a corner and drew towards Divale as well, the machine bearing lamps and a liveried driver like so many other machines on the streets, with three others halted and stored just near Divale while their fares or owners were enjoying themselves within. All in all, nothing seemed out of place in the gloomy, eveningtide street.

"Oh, but of course, of course...how could I leave you no way to contact me?" added Eisolf as he drew Jolanda nearer to Divale's entrance. "If I failed to do this, then I couldn't collect my debt and perhaps build new debts between us in the future. I...have no card upon me, alas..." a calling card was an established and growing tradition in the West and the East, but it hadn't become pervasive as yet "...but I am rather easy to reach, if it pleases milady. She can write to me at the Marcada Estate at Carling's Field or...for more personal correspondence...my home in the Patrician's Ring at Black Bridge. Indeed, you would enjoy the view of the city from my home at Black Bridge. And if you came to visit me there, I would enjoy the view so much the better as well."

They had reached the entrance, where a rather rugged and martial gentleman stood a short distance away along with the doorman of Divale and a few of the servants that stood ready to fetch carriage should their patron emerge. Karsch could readily hear the lady and gentleman now, as they moved near the door. It was the gentleman who was speaking.

"Well, now I must leave you, Madam Crecce, and flee back to my home where I might dream of you and draft a most sincere letter for you that I...shall never have the courage to send. I do hope we shall meet again soon, for I have found your company to be...most promising...."
Jolanda

Post by Jolanda »

A warm smugness presented Eisolf with a knowing smile. Jolanda knew just what sort of happiness he was interested in, her physical allure to him gifting her with that sweet sensation of desirableness. "A convincing argument..." she replied softly, "we shall not spend over long looking out the windows of Black Ridge I think, I shall want to debrief you thoroughly." Damn it, she was attracted to him, and already felt frustrated that she didn't know how it might be possible to visit him.

She looked towards the doors of the Divale as they approached, and saw the hovering presence of servants... and one particularly military fellow - though he did not seem to be one of Rosalie's protectors.

Giving a flattered laugh in a ladylike tone, "Then I would wonder if you wrote such a letter at all, how clever milord, how you entice!" he was clever, really it was that which attracted her most of all. Jolanda had no patience for fools. "Thank you for your company, I'm rather restored, and in not half the grump in which I was when you met me." she turned to farewell the lord, eagerness now growing within her to tell Rosalie of the conversation, or at least snippets of it. "We must trust in the fates, no earthly force might stop another meeting if it is destined..." she knew she would go out of her way to ensure it would.

Hesitating but a moment longer, she then turned to re-enter the Divale - hoisting a haughty air about her that would not stand from any nonsense from the doorman if he chose to quibble at her and treat her like Rosalie’s hand servant.

Post by Guest »

Finally seeing the woman that matched madame Creece's description, Karsch took a moment to listen to the last snippets of conversation between them as he looked down the street in a nonchalant manner.

As Jolanda said her farewells, he finally stepped forward and made his presence more than known.

"Greetings my lady. Are you the Lady Creece?. If so, I am a messenger of sorts from the Lady Lo Russo. She inquired of me to determine your status and to be sure of your safety. I am glad to find you well, and I would be honored to escort you back to the Lady Lo Russo if you so desire."
Jolanda

Post by Jolanda »

"Maybe I am, maybe I aren't." Jolanda eyed Karsch warily, dubious to whether he was telling the truth. She knew very well Rosalie hadn't arrived with him in tow, and didn't expect the Consul to have been picking up men inside. But maybe she sent him after me to get rid of him? That seemed most likely.

"I am going back myself, what you do is your own business." she replied with a flick of her wrist. If he wasn't good enough for Rosalie, then she wasn't about to bother with him. She'd accepted the consul's hand-me-down dresses, but men, well that was quite another thing.

Without further ado she swept back into the building.

Post by Guest »

Karsch stood for a moment in disbelief as she arrogantly swept past him and back inside.

Very well then. He thought to himself.

I tried to be polite, I tried to be respectful, and you show who you truly are by treating me like that. Someday, when the monsters come for you girl, perhaps I'll wait a bit longer than I should to pull your shapely little ass out of the fire. Maybe a little horror and few scars will temper your callous attitude and rude behavior.

"As you wish Madame Creece." He said simply.as he followed her in.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

~Fin! The doorman says, "...and there's NOTHING as important in life as a shapely little ass!"

Sent for skillz...

Granty
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Skilled by a demon.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.

Return to “Inner City Archive”