Looking for ghosts [Ospray, Sam 24 late TT]

Moderators: Syra, Mods

Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Looking for ghosts [Ospray, Sam 24 late TT]

Post by Yin Lorin »

The forest was quiet; it had been for all this morning. The past few villages he had passed were empty, at the entrances to the villages were graves, rows on rows of graves dug without head stones, just small piles of rocks, or sticks made into a teepee like structure with feathers or leaves tied to dangle in the middle of it. The blood in some of the houses as he walked by them led him to understand it was a violent death that killed these villages.

At nights the forest would sometimes moan, the trees groaning in unison. The sounds of wild dogs would howl in the distance. He could feel it, the forest wanted him to flee, wanted him to leave. The wind would rustle in the trees, but his fire would not flicker.

The day was getting long, the sun would quickly be gone in the forest. His feet carried him slowly down the leafy trail he had been using for a road. The sunlight was quickly fading.

A cool wind blew past him, and he felt eyes on him, from behind. The feeling was not hostile, but it made his skin crawl none the less. Ospray heard the foot steps approaching on the leafy path behind him.
Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Post by Guest »

The noise of the foot steps was loud enough to catch his attention. Ospray knew something was in the process of happening, but the only thing that could be done was to ride the waves. He tossed his bag straight up into the air and quickly turned, as though like a top, to see who was in the process of coming to him.

However, from the way the villages look, Ospray knew better than to let his guard down. One way or another, before he could continue his journey, he held the view that he was going to have to fight someone or something. Though a feeling of inhostility was coming at him, caution wasn't something to throw to the wind.

Completing his turn, he held his fist in a fighting stance and looked down the leafy path. Eyes focused, he waited to see who was the person or thing that came his way.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

The turn was perfect; he spun before his bag hit the ground. His eyes caught nothing, emptiness. Then something struck his foot, a ball, leather, finely stitched, better then anything he had to play with, or even seen in the Mouth.

He looked up at the sound of feet and saw a boy standing there. He was dressed all in white with silvery white hair. His adhiel blood was clear in his deep green eyes and pointed ears. A bright red sash was tied around his waist. He pointed at the ball. “That is my ball.” The daylight was fading fast. “Can I have it back?”

The bag hit the ground behind Ospray.

Post by Guest »

Ospray was a bit suprised as he saw the child. The thud of the bag hitting the ground, broke him out of his stunned gaze. It was then that he realized what he was dealing with. The first thought that came to his mind was, "What in the world is a child doing in a place like?". His impression was the child must have lost his parents, due to the way he saw the villages, and must be on his own.

Then he noticed the ball. With a small nudge of his foot, the ball jumped up into his arms. He proceeded over to the adhiel child and gave it back to him. All the while, asking, "Are you alone out here?". In the back of his mind though, he knew night would be here soon, and whether it was the forest or his gut, Ospray would of liked to get going.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

The boy shook his head. “No sir, I am not, my home is just past that stream.” He looked Ospray over. “You kick a ball pretty good. You are a traveler?” He stepped forward, holding out his arms he took the ball.

“You could come stay at my house, my mother makes good food.” He started to walk past Ospray down the trail. “She will be worried over me being away. She does not like the things in the woods now. I am Gil’an. Come on, the woods are not safe when it gets dark.” He stopped down the trail and smiled a impish boy smile. “We can kick the ball at my house, ok?”

Post by Guest »

'You got it.", Ospray said to the boy. Reaching around he grabbed his bag and proceeded to follow Gil'an. As he caught up, Ospray responded, "Oh I forgot to introduce myself". "My name is Ospray.", he said in a cheery tone.
All the while he looked at the small child with curious eyes. It was the first time he saw an adhiel before, let alone the child version of one.

But it was back to the matter at hand. Ospray was sure Gil'an's mother would be worried if he didn't return home soon. So Ospray thought it would be the right thing to do, to follow the boy home and see he was safe. In addition, maybe Ospray could get some information from the boy's mother as to this master he was supposed to see. After all it was like finding a needle in a hay stack. Also the thought of a home cooked meal was pleasing to Ospray's stomach.

Throwing his bag over his right shoulder, Ospray followed Gil'an to his house while getting to know the boy a little better.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Soon the path led to a small stream that ran outside a house. To be more to the point it was a tree, but the tree looked to have grown into a house. A arch of branches made the door, and wooden branches wove back and forth to make walls. The trunk bent to the side, twisting a bit to make all the walls of the house and acting like the peak of the roof. Little red flowers bloomed across the alls of the house, and the glow of a fire came from inside as the night started its turn for the day.

Not far, perhaps a stones toss, he could make out the lights of the other homes. Unlike villages he had seen with humans, they did not clear out the trees, but little stone trails wove in and out of the tall sentries. The fire had not touched here. Little crimson blossoms grew on the truncks of the trees, and across the ground.

From inside a voice called out, sweet and lyrical. “Little Bear is that you?” Then the source of the voice appeared. She was a striking woman, to say the least. Her deep blue eyes were like that of the clear sky, and she had snow white hair that fell to her hips even when tied with a flowing crimson ribbon. She wore a white gown, it was tied tight at the waist and looked very practical for working around the house. Still on her it was more glorious then some of the lace and velvet gowns the women of the Mouth paraded around in.

“Bear?” She asked looking at the boy.

“I saw him in the woods, mama, can he spend the night?” He asked her.

She looked up, placing a hand on her son’s head. “I am P’larna, we do not have much for you to eat, some fish and rice. You are welcome to it.” She nodded to her son who raced to take Ospray’s hand.

“Come on, we need to wash up.” He said dragging him to the stream. “You are from the south, right? I can tell. My father is in the Boarder Patrol. He said you have to watch and see how people dress, you can tell where they are from by how they dress.” He commented as he washed up in the stream.

The smell of the fish cooking started to drift from the house.

Post by Guest »

The water of the stream was a tad bit cold for Ospray's liking as he shivered from splashing some on his face. In preparation for the dinner, Ospray's thoughts were of the woman he had just seen. Never in his life had he seen something so wondrous, so pure-like almost, that it made his heart race a bit, as it does for all young boys...well human that is.

Although, his day dream was cut short by Gil'an's speech. He was impressed at the boy's perception in regards to his clothing. "Yep, I'm from the south.", he responded. "To be more accurate I am from the area known as World's Mouth.", Ospray replied, though unsure if Gil'an knew where that was.
Then something caught Ospray's attention, a statement Gil'an made earlier about his father and the Boarder Patrol. "You said your father was in the Boarder Patrol, right? What does he do exactly?", he said. Now Ospray was in the dark about adhiel culture, but he knew that Boarder Patrol was something of a militaristic nature, which means Gilan's father must have some combat experience. "Maybe I could get in a few rounds of sparring with him", Ospray thought to himself, for it had been a while since he practiced his techniques and he felt himself to be a bit rusty.

In the backdrop Ospray's stomach was beginning to growl, enough for Gil'an to hear. It was a rare for Ospray to come by a good home cooked meal, but something inside him, and from P'larna's statement, that lead Ospray to think that maybe food was scarces for the family. He was beginning to have second thoughts about staying for dinner, but he was already invited, and as Bramus once told him, "It is rude to refuse an invitation when it has already been given, thus embark with it, but do not abuse this special privilege, for you may never know the condition of the house you enter."

Ospray decided he would stay, out of respect, and also long enough to maybe obtain some sort of information about the adhiel master he was looking for. But in the matter of staying the night, maybe it was best to find another location of rest. After all, he was being a burden. With that, Ospray finished and started towards the house, not knowing what to expect.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

The boy dried his face on a cloth that was hung outside the house. “My father went to the capitol, all the boarder patrol went there with the Prince.” He stopped at the door and slid off his shoes and walked into the little house. The floor was made from a soft dry moss. The walls were made from branches, it looked like a willow tree. It was a small little home, but it was very clean and the smell of cooking fish filled the room.

P’larna knelt next to a fire kept in the branches of the tree, how it did not burn the tree was one of the magic of the adhiel shapers. She had a pot boiling with the pieces of fish set on a wooden grate over the steam. The fish was stuffed with what looked like bread and nuts, and smelled wonderful to boot. In another pot was boiling brown rice she sprinkled some herbs into, smiling up at Ospray. “it has been a long time since I have had a man to eat my food.”

In the back where Gil’an ran to after entering his head popped from a doorway. “Hey!”

“You are not a man yet, Little Bear.” She said, stopping in her stirring. She looked at Ospray. “Gil’s father and I love each other, but he has his duty to attend to. I could not ask him to stay. I know that in the south, traditions are different. I have much help from the village.”

She stood and motioned to a place in the corner of the odd house where some roots raised up to make a small table. “Please sit. You look very hungry. What has brought you to our lands?” She starts to serve the fish up placing a whole fish on the plate as well as a large spoonful of rice, generous potions. “I have tea to drink, or I could send Gil for some of the berry wine we make here?”

Post by Guest »

"Oh tea will be fine thank you.", Ospray responded as took his place in the conor. Though as P'larna served the food, Ospray knew they would not be feasting as much. Still food was food, and he was hungry. However, he did not eat one bite until P'larna and Gil took their places at the table.

In response to her question, Ospray replied, "Well I have journied from World's Mouth to seek an adhiel who is a master in the martial arts. Though unfortuantly I haven't been successful in this goal. Might you know of one that is as such?"

Though as he was conversing with her, Ospray couldn't but let his eyes wonder around the home. Never had he seen a house build like this, which only boggled his mind more about the adhiel.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

A plate made from very fine china was set before him, as well as a cup and a small ornate tea pot made from the same kind of fine china. The cup had no handle, more like a small bowl then a proper tea cup. The china was white, and so thin he could see through it. The plate was in the shape of a maple leaf, the fish laid out on one side, the rice on the other, with his utensils laying in the middle part of the leaf. The tea pot looked like was made from many of these smaller leaves that were made individually then put together to make the pot. The work of this was far past anything that was in the southern lands.

The boy came out and started with a pen and paper, writing. The elf woman sat across from Ospray, watching him eat. “I do hope you like it; it is a family recipe for river trout we have here.” She smiled as she watched.

“I have heard of a place, north of here. A place where one can fight a ghost, and from the ghost you learn the truth of the forest.” She said, touching her chin in though, her eyes looked down at the table. “It is more fokelore then truth I think.”

“Is that where Jal’il went to learn to fight the wind, Mother?” Gil’an said looking up from his work. “He learned from the Shaper Ne’kage.”

She nodded to her boy, then looked at Ospray. “It is more folklore then anything. Some people make the trip, some find nothing, others, well, it is a dangerous trip and they do not return. It is up the mountains to the east, and north near the coast. You first meet a shade in the forest, it will find you. If you get past the shade, then comes the bridge of air and water, only those who know themselves pass that. Then you enter the keep of the Master Shaper.”

She looked outside. “It is getting late.” She looked back at him. “I will get a bed ready for you.” She stood slowly.”

Post by Guest »

Although the china was unusual, the fish was delicious, as Ospray ate with joy in his eye. All the while, p'larna's reply caught his attention. "So there is a master here. Now my journey can go forward, and I can begin!", he thought. Just the idea that there was a master in these lands was enough to renew his passions and vigor.

However, there was the issue that P'larna brought up. Ospray's thoughts were of this concern. What if P'larna was correct in that this Ne'kage was just a folk tale? Then again, the possibility was to great for Ospray to simply ignore. In addition, the subject of a shaper also caught his attention. Did she mean shaper as in one who can transform into another beast? This only made Ospray more curious as to this fighting style. And lastly was the bridge of air and water, as well as the ghost. How does one fight a ghost?

Despite these puzzles, Ospray was now more than determined to find Ne'kage. But first, there was the war with his stomach. More and more he ate. The food was indeed that delicious, even though he has eaten rice and river trout before. Leaving not a grain of rice behind, Ospray layed down his fork, and stated like a decree from a king, "This has been the best meal I have ever tasted!".

Though this was cut short when P'larna rose to make his bed. Again his concern of being a burden came to mind, enough so to cause Ospray to state, "Well I don't wish to impose any more than what I have already done. There is still enough daylight for me to begin my travels, and I do not mean to cause any more work than you already have done." It wasn't that Ospray thought he was above staying in this cozy home, but he just didn't feel right about making more problems for P'larna and Gil'an. But, there was something about how P'larna stood that made him wonder, "Is something wrong??".
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

She simply shook her head. “The woods are dangerous now.” She smiled, her eyes held a softness, and sadness in them, as if something was missing from her life. “I would not turn a traveler out.” She nodded to him and left to one of the rooms, the flowing red ribbon in her hair catches his eyes again.

She returns, nodding to Ospray. “Your bed is ready, when ever you are ready to sleep.” She walked to the table and refilled Ospray’s tea cup. “You are a fighter then? Are you one of the followers of the One?” She asked casually.

Gil'an had come out and was sitting by the fire writing in a book it looked like. His hand writing was beautiful, more art then writing. He is very focused on his writing, the black ink moving across the white paper in smooth easy strokes, the pen not making a noise as it writes.

Post by Guest »

Drinking from the cup, Ospray sat down his tea. "Unfortunatly I am not a follower of the One." "Though there are quite a few who would wish that I was.", he said with a slight chuckle. He looked at his tea for a bit while slushing it around, collecting his thoughts. "If I were to be really honest, I am of no religious preference. But, I have really never gave the thought of religion much, though I guess I might be a follower of the One, if things were different...", he replied has he took a sip from the cup.

Setting down on the table, he then stated, "Well I guess you could say I am a fighter, but I am not your common variety. Or I should say, I am not the stereotype of fighter one envisions when the word comes up." He paused for a momment. "I am a martial artist.", he said with a feel of pride in his tone. "Granted, I do like to fight, but not for the sake of money or to prove that I have power. I do it as a means of testing myself in both body and mind.", he said. "But, more importantly, I do it for the purity and honor of the fight, though as strange as that may sound."

Ospray then asked P'larna, "Do you mind if I ask you a question? As I was on my travels, I came across a series of villages, which by their structure they seemed human, but were in complete ruins as though from attack. Is there some evil which roams the country side?"
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

P’larna sighed. “Not all villages are made by the shapers. Most of the shapers live in cities, we are lucky to have one here.” She said. “it is magic where one bends plants to new shapes.”

She sighed softly. “A few nights back, there was an attack of strange animals, dogs, they killed many…” suddenly Gil’an started to scream, holding his head.

“NOOOOOOOO!” He screamed, the sound cut a icy knife to Ospray’s bones. P’larna was up and holding him as he rocked back and forth, screaming and holding his head. He slowly calmed down as she sang a soft song.

“I should take him to bed. Please, you will be fine seeing yourself to bed?” She asked as she stood with her son in her arms. He was silent, and she cradled him.

Gil’an looked at Ospray. “Thank you for visiting.” He said softly, the voice was just a whisper, almost not even there.

Post by Guest »

"It is my honor you would have me as a guest.", responded Ospray. Though, he sat with a dumb founded expression on his face. By Gil'an's reaction, these dog creatures P'larna spoke of must have had a dozy of a time when the attack occurred. But, to Ospray's intuitions, it seemed that there was more to it than this. An attack by fierce creatures would scare a child, but to cause Gil'an to scream as this meant something more. Still Ospray knew that it would be best not to bring it up anymore, or not in the presence of Gil'an.

With that he stood up from the table and said, "Might as well hit the sack since it is so late." "Um...where exactly did you want me to sleep", he asked P'larna. In addition he bid both of them goodnight when P'larna lead him to his bed.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

It is not hard to find the bed. The place only has two bedrooms. The bed is close to the ground and made from tree branches woven together. When he lay down, it was soft, and cool, the leaves cushioning him as he rested. The voices in the other room stopped and sleep slowly came to him.

He was not awake, in that place between awake and dreaming. Gil’an shouted. “Come, there are orcs, they are hurting us! Hurry Ospray. They will get me.” The voice was distant, coming from across the village.

Post by Guest »

Wondrous was the state he was in. Never had a bed, of any form, been so comfortable, to allow Ospray to rest as he did. He felt with such complexity and said, "These elves have a interesting approach to things." With the voices stopping, his mind wondered as to what really happened to cause Gil'an to act as he did. Ospray suspected more had happened that what he was told. Still the matter wasn't his concern, nor should he poke his nose in other people's business.
Nevertheless, the thoughts of something so horrible to cause Gil'an to scream as he did wouldn't leave him at peace. But nothing good would come to dwell on it until the morning.

At that point, Ospray was about to enter a deep sleep when he heard Gil'an shouting. Ospray awoke, half blinded as one is when they are semi-asleep, and unaware as to what was going on. Though in this state, he did manage to catch what Gil'an said. "Orcs?", Ospray thought to himself. The sound, so distant, made him wonder what was happening. With a quick thrust he jumped up and stood to hear any noises in the house. Though from the way things were, it sounded like nobody was at home. Ospray thought to himself, "Maybe Gil'an is having a nightmare?" Still he shouted Orcs, and from what Ospray knew about them they were a bunch you didn't fool around with. With that he quickly bolted for the front door. With a might tug, enough to almost pull it off, he ran out side to see what was happening.
Nemesis
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Nemesis »

Running into the darkness...
Chasing voices...
The forest was alive...
and it was evil...

"Help me Ospray," he again heard the voice. It was distant. It was close. Behind him he heard the cries. "The orc's, they are killing us!,"

Ospray ran full tilt to where he thought he heard the voice. The nighttime sky was illuminated only by the light of a partially full moon. The light played havoc on the human's eyes. Shadows danced and frolicked about him causing him on to, on more than one occasion, blink to make sure his eyesight was not playing tricks on him.

A stiff wind blew across, sending fallen leaves careening this way and that. They were swept up by the wind only to drift back to the earth not to far from where they had fallen. Overhead an owl flew overhead on it's hunt for food. It swooped up a mouse effortlessly before flying off into the darkened woods.

He thought he saw a figure. Small and frail, cowering. And again came the screams about the orcs, and of horrible things. The figure, or was it just a shadow or trick of light, darted off once more with uncanny speed.
Last edited by Nemesis on Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Many of the voices spread from tree to tree, confusing Ospray to no end. But as the shadowy figure darted off, Ospray chased in pursuit. Although he wished to find the others who were screaming, the search was like trying to find a needle in a haystack. The only real option was to go after the figure he saw and see who, or what it was.

Though from the small, frail and cowering outline of the figure's shape, Ospray had a hunch that it was Gil'an. If not, a small child like Gil'an, or a migdet elf. With that he ran in the same direction as the figure shouting, "Gil'an is that you? If not I am a friend so please stop!"

Ospray said this in a voice like thunder, in hopes of attracting the attention of the figure.
Nemesis
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Nemesis »

His voice carried out in every direction. To his surprise, there was no answer to it. Nothing, only silence and the sound of the forest's nocturnal inhabitants as they went about their nightly routines. Eventually Ospray came to a stop a short distance from where he took off from. He stood at a slight opening where he thought he last thought he saw the figure run to.

The evening in Taquar was quite unlike anything human had ever witnessed before in all his journeys. Even more peculiar was the barreness of his surroundings. Normally there would be plenty of adhiel to see walking about,their absense one would consider rather disturbing. There was definiotely something wrong here. The human could almost sense it in his bones.

"Ospray," the voice called out again. This time the voice came from behind him. He turned around to see the figure again, running towards him.
I see the future, and the future is bleeding.

Post by Guest »

The figure before him only made Ospray be more on his guard. The voice that was calling him, didn't sound as one he knew, nor a friendly one from his perspective. As the figure came forward, running, Ospray braced as the encouter was soon to happen and he would finally see who this was.

His body, full of adrenaline from the excitement of the area, as well as the anticipation of the figure, urge him to go forward to meet this individual. Still a strange sense came over him as though this shadow was a foe, one who he would fight. However, Ospray, in the back of his mind, remembered a very important lession he learned long ago. Never act blindly. With this in mind, he resisted the urge to go forward into the near blinding pathway, but instead backed up to give more light and vision into the clearing that he was in.

"Well, here we go", he said as the looked at the figures movements with keen percision as looking down the barrel of a gun.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

The mass came into the light, it was green and grey and ugly. The orc rushed Ospry, like a bull charging. It let out a loud bellow as its feet pounded the dirt. It’s nostrils flared and it looked ready to fight, and looked like it would do so with its bare hands.

As he looked around, he saw the village as it was. The little red flowers that were blooming on everything were now splatters of blood a few days old. There was the feeling of sacredness this orc was violating by being here.

The whispered words of Gil’an floated on the breeze. “They are attacking me and mother. Hurry, to the graveyard.”

Post by Guest »

Several things came into Ospray's mind at once. He looked to see the red flowers. It struck him odd that only previous moments ago they looked almost innocent, now were covered with signs that death roamed the area a few days ago. "What the...", he thought to himself. Something was hidden in this setting and he was as confused as can be.

Then the image of the orc threw him for a loop. This was the first time he had ever seen a real life orc before, and from the look of things, it was as foul as he had heard. Though the appearance, and the loud bellow shocked Ospray, it still didn't deter him from looking at the creature without any fear. As he observed his foe, the lack of weapons caught Ospray's eye.

"Very well I will honor your request.", he said as he raised his fist in a quick fighting stance. In addition, he also noticed the bulk that came towards him. Ospray knew from the get go that there was no way to match the orc strength for strength, but a creature with that much strength surely must be lacking in reaction time. Still he new better to assume to much, and waited for his foe to come forward to him.

As he was waiting the voice of Gil'an sparked an urgency to finish this brawl quickly. With a slight spinning movement to the left of the orc, Ospray attempted to dodge the orc's straight forward charge, and delivered a fierce right cross to the orc's chin.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

The moment played out in his mind before it happened. His body twisted slightly, shifted his weight and moved back. The orc just missed him, his fist coming up to connect with the chin of the monster. When his hand hit, it was like hitting a rock wrapped in wet leather.

Time returned to normal after the creature sped by, turning to face the orc’s back. The punch either did not register, or was ineffective because the creature was still standing. Ospray’s hand throbbed with pain from the punch though. He had a chance to attack before the beast turned around.

Return to “T'aquar Archive”