University of Magic - Entrance Thread

Dort, Aveas and Sierra form the most important triangle of the Seven Isles. Magick and trade are their core business.

Moderators: Adanedhel, Brytan, Mods

Post by Guest »

Elissan thought for a moment. Professor Clearwater's program sounded like it would fit her cover story better, but that was exactly it - it was a cover story, not meant to be actuality. The Battlemage program would suit her needs perfectly. Weaving in some divination would both help maintain appearances and perhaps aid her in finding her ultimate goal when the time came.

"The Battlemage program seems more suited for me," Elissan replied once she had finished thinking on the topic.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Then I shall conduct you to the Battle General for evaluation." The registrar nodded. The scroll rolled itself up and floated into the air. A sphere of light encapsulated it and began to bob its way down the hallway. "Follow the light Miss Lestelle. Good fortune to you."

OOC: Please continue here: https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?p=198022
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Hall of Ages
Once through the grand gate, visitors often stared at the hall in mute wonder. This place was nothing short of impressive, large and aesthetically pleasing. Ahead, stairs lead to the base levels of each of the twenty three spires, and the rest of this place was like a museum.
Paintings, sculptures and such made up the more artful of memoirs, but all sorts of items reminding the wizards of their pasts have been put on display here. More toward the back, space has been reserved for those who wish to study.

Off to one side was a medium sized reception desk with a small counter. A thin man with gray hair sat behind it, and he gazed attentively at those that entered the Hall.

As Genya entered the hall, he noticed a young adhiel woman exiting the hall. She was following a ball of yellow light that led her through a doorway and out of sight. The registrar behind the counter nodded to Genya as he entered and a wave of his hand caused a scroll to unroll itself on his desk. "Welcome to the University of Magic. What do you seek here this day?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Barely inside and already he was exposed to wonder and mystery. Overwhelmed by what he saw around him, both in architecture and in magic, he already knew that the War Seer had been right; this path was the right one for him. Still, he did not let himself get distracted by everything around him and promptly answered the old man's question: "I seek knowledge, and the path to my future. I am here to enroll as a student, to study and learn the art of magic. My name is Genya Lorelin."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

A second wave of the registrar's hand sent a quill hopping out of an inkwell and onto the page. Genya's name was swiftly written at the top and the quill skritched away as the registrar and Genya talked.

"Then you have come to right place." The registrar nodded. "First a few questions. What preparations have you taken to ready yourself for the study of magic and what kind of magic do you wish to study?" He asked.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

"Well, I know how to read and write, for starters," Genya replied. He wasn't sure what to think of the old man; he was respectful of course, both because of the man's age, and because he no doubt wielded at least some degree of magic, but at the same time the man made him feel a bit uneasy. "Other than that, I have to admit I'm pretty much a blank slate.. -my body is trained, and I have some experience in the martial arts and with the quarterstaff, but that's about it.. -and some knowledge which has been shared with me, a few general things about magic, and Faeries.. and other magical creatures."

Pondering the man's second question, he added: "Since I've already had some training with weapons, I think the path of a Battlemage will suit me best."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The quill continued to scratch away at the scroll as Genya spoke. The registrar nodded. "Then you must speak with the Battle General. He will determine your fitness for study in both spell and weapon. You will be asked at that meeting to choose one of the four schools of Battle Magic. "Physique and Augmentation, Command, Battle Augury, and Combat Elementalism. If you have not thought on this, I would ponder it between here and the spires of the Battlemage Academy. Also, you will have to discuss the matter of tuition with him. There are sources of funding for Battlemages that academic wizards are not offered."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

"I assume because, with so much war and strife going on, the need for Battlemagi is a bit more..practical..?" Genya assumed and questioned. It wouldn't matter either way; he had fought before, though never in such a serious way, and he was convinced he would be able to overcome any of such obstacles.. right? "I already have a choice in mind," he replied to the registrar's earlier question, "But I will discuss that with the Battle General. Do you need anything else from me, sir?"
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The registrar shook his head no. "No we are finished here." With a wave of his hand the scroll rolled itself up and with a curling gesture of his other hand and ball of yellow light appeared in the air. "Follow the ball of light." He instructed. "It will lead you to the Battle General. Good luck."

Please continue here: https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.p ... 689#198689
Last edited by Tristam on Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Tilha O`Renimin
Civus

Post by Tilha O`Renimin »

A young girl dressed with grey pants, a white bodice, and a grey cloak rejected on her back entered the hall. She was wearing long dark hair in a ponytail, gloves and daggers in her belt, leather bracers, and sturdy boots, and walked straight to the reception desk.

Expecting trouble to build up now that she had agreed to help someone, Tilha had decided to keep her "rogue boy" attire from the previous night. But she had to replace the ripped and burned shirt, and the bodice was looking nice. After all, she did not pretend not to be a girl. Just needed a cloak to protect her skin from the sun, including the burns and bruises already collected.

The young sailor was impressed by the hall, but she was too anxious of her goal to stop and admire it now. So anxious that she had to catch herself to take the time to be polite.

"Good morningtide, sir. I need to talk to Master Dillon. Can you explain me the way to his room, please?"
Nearly forgot the good morning here. Keep calm girl, bossing people around will not make them help you.
With these thought, the slim girl remembered to add an apologetic smile to the clerk.
[size=84][i]"Be guided by your heart and your faith."[/i] - Abbot O'Shea 8th teaching[/size]
[size=75]Avatar from [url=http://www.allavatars.com/]www.allavatars.com[/url][/size]
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The registrar looked down at the woman and chuckled. "Here he is merely Apprentice Dillon, Miss." He explained. "But he is within the University this morning. He is most likely to be found in the dormitory." With a gesture, the old man summoned a ball of yellow light that bobbed in front of her.

"If you will follow the ball, miss, it will lead you to his door." The register said. "Good day to you."

OOC: Feel free to continue here:

https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=14644
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Tilha O`Renimin
Civus

Post by Tilha O`Renimin »

"Good day to you too."

After thanking the registrar, Tilha hastened to follow the ball, her sturdy boots sounding on the pavement.
This place is awesome... Have to come back for it one day. Well, I'm tasked to anyway!

OOC: Off to "apprentice Dillon" room
[size=84][i]"Be guided by your heart and your faith."[/i] - Abbot O'Shea 8th teaching[/size]
[size=75]Avatar from [url=http://www.allavatars.com/]www.allavatars.com[/url][/size]
Merron Grimwood
Civus

Post by Merron Grimwood »

The young achadhiel stood awestruck. He literally couldn't move a muscle and just looked around in silence. For the first time in his life he could feel such power radiating from a building. Merron seemed to be eating every little detail with his green eyes. He studied the pieces of history scattered at the entrance hall. His mind even ventured to imagine what it’s like to have your picture painted.

Young Grimwood would have probably stood there for hours if he was alone, but he couldn't help noticing the thin man sitting behind the desk. Merron knew it was time to make the first little significant steps towards his dream. The achadhiel was nervous and slowly approached the desk.

"Um... I was, well... you see... the man at the gate... he told me to..." Merron caught himself mumbling and decided to stop and inhale. After this awkward pause he concentrated all his thoughts into one simple sentence "I wish to study Magic". The last word was so important to Merron, you could see it in his glistening eyes. He tightened his grip on his satchel’s strap and waited in silence, breathing slowly.

And so it has come to this...
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.
~Frank Herbert
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Indeed." The registrar behind the desk replied. "Then you have come to the right place." With a wave of his hand a thick parchment scroll unrolled itself on the desk. A second gesture sent a quill hopping into the ink well and then to hover over the scroll.

"I shall need to know your name, what preparations you have made for a career in magick, what kind of magic you are interested in learning, and some indication of how you intend to pay for the tuition." The registrar instructed. The quill hung in the air ready to record the words of the newest applicant to the University.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Merron Grimwood
Civus

Post by Merron Grimwood »

Merron listened to the questions he was asked, and realized that none of them had an easy answer. Except the name of course, so Grimwood decided to start with that.

"My name is Merron Grimwood and I haven't studied a lot of Magic because I came from Roque D'Ancourt. I have a basic understanding of meditation but that is probably the extent of it." Merron paused and looked at the floor feeling shy. He also tried to remember what else he had to answer besides the most difficult money bit. "What magic am I interested it? Hmm... I guess 'all' is not an answer. I like working with my mind so my best option would have to be Mental magic." He exhaled and looked tired. Here goes... "About money... How much is the tuition? Maybe I could get a job nearby or something like that. I mean... You're obviously a big organization. I gather I'm not the only one who had this predicament, what could you suggest? Maybe I have enough money for a term and then I could look for someone to invest in me? Has anyone tried that?"

Merron waited for an answer staring eagerly at the quill above the parchment.
Last edited by Merron Grimwood on Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.
~Frank Herbert
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The quill scratched along the parchment as it recorded Merron's answers in the human language and many other comments beside them in an unfamiliar runic script.

"The study of Mentalism is an unusual choice for a course of beginning study." The registrar observed. Many that actually seek to study the dark path of mindcrafting claimed to be following the sorcererous path of Mentalism. Merely by mentioning it, the registrar was on his guard.

"The tuition is four crowns per semester payable one semester at a time." The registrar informed him. "While work outside of the University is not forbidden, I suspect you would not find a job lucrative enough to pay your way in the few hours you have to work." He observed. "However, you are right to surmise that there are organizations and governments that will pay a mage's tuition in return for a term of magical service."

"Still that is hardly your first concern." The registrar sniffed and with a wave of his hand the scroll before him rolled up and floated in the air. "First you must be evaluated for your aptitute to perform magic." His right hand made a curving gesture and sphere of yellow light appeared around the scroll. "Follow the light. It will lead you to the office of Professor Ventalla for your evaluation."

OOC: Please continue here when you are ready.
Last edited by Tristam on Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Cogwell Cogs
Civus

Post by Cogwell Cogs »

Two feet of excitable jabbering gnome all but ran through the door. After a week cooped up on a ship, he was finally here, and all the built up apprehension nearly made him explode. That's what he said anyway. One of the things he said.

"Bythegodsicantbelieveimfinallyhere, Ivebeenwaitingsolongforthismomentanditscome, myfatherwouldbesoproudofme, Icantwaittogetstarted."

He paused momentarily for a breath, then continued talking speedily.

Lugging a satchel nearly as big as he, the gnome was quite a sight. Dressed in bright colors seemingly randomly chosen, all of his clothes mismatched. He ran between the displays, talking all the while, before noticing the counter. Dragging his bag, he quickly made his way over to it.

Looking up towards the edge, he couldn't see behind it, but spoke anyway. Panting now, his words came at a slow speed. Slow for a gnome, that is.

"Cogwell Cogs at your service. Here to learn the mystical ways of the finger wagglers, where do I sign?"
2nd PC of Eldan
Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige
Civus

Post by Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige »

Phlex Godwind is the administrator newly assigned to the registering of all new students to the University of Magic. He is 30 yehrans old. Stands six foot tall, and has a touch of gray to his black hair. He takes his new assignment quite seriously, and can get quite crossed if he thinks someone is waisting his time.

"Cogwell Cogs at your service." "Here to learn the mystical ways of the finger wagglers, where do I sign?"

He responded in kind without raising his head. "Good day to you Mister Cogs." "I will remind you that at The University of Magic we call the "mysticals ways of the finger wagglers", as you so quaintly put it, Magic."

"Now if you would be so kind as to sign the register we can get you on your wa...." Phlex's words trailed off as he looked up from his pile of paperwork, and saw no one standing in front of him.

In a loud, and commanding voice Phlex called out.

"Mister Cogs I have no time for your pranks!" "The faster you sign the register, the faster I can get your assignments."
Last edited by Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[quote][size=117]Cold is the heart... Clear is the mind... Steady is the "Hand" of the Ice Queen.[/size][/quote]

Avatar provided by allavatars.com artist Flingling.
Cogwell Cogs
Civus

Post by Cogwell Cogs »

Cogwell couldn't help but snicker. "No pranks sir, at least, not yet. I'm down here!" He jumped a few inches in the air, attempting to get Phlex's attention.

Waving his arms as he jumped in the air, he was afraid that the man would dismiss him as some prank, and that he would never learn the mystical ways of -er, magic.

"Pleasesir, I'mnot so tall! Ifyoucouldjust lean over andlookdown, Iwouldappreciateit!" His voice sped up as he gained a second wind of excitement.
2nd PC of Eldan
Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige
Civus

Phlex saw the pair of small hands waving in the air, and the top of Cogwell's head bobbing in, and out of his sight. The Registar stood up and looked down on the other side of his desk. He could now see that Cogwell Cogs was a Gnome. Phlex gave him a crooked smile and exhaled a slight sigh, before he addressed Cogwell again.

"Greeting." "Mister Cogs I presume?" "If you would be so kind, please sign the register."

Phlex pointed to the quill. The quill dipped it's self in the ink well and floated to Cogwell's hand. Then Phlex waved his hand. The pages of the register came to life as they started turning on their own. Once the pages stop turning the register floated to the plucky Gnome. It hovered there stationary, and waiting for him to sign.
Last edited by Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige on Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
[quote][size=117]Cold is the heart... Clear is the mind... Steady is the "Hand" of the Ice Queen.[/size][/quote]

Cogwell Cogs
Civus

Post by Cogwell Cogs »

Cogwell eagerly grabbed the quill, practically squirming in his clothes. He would positively burst if he couldn't start learning magic right away. The seven day trip on the boat had nearly killed him. Or rather, the crew had nearly thrown him overboard he pestered them so much.

As the register hovered in front of him, he quickly signed, Cogwell Cogs the Fourth, in his chicken scratch handwriting.

Looking up at Phlex, eager beady eyes like those of a friendly mouse, he asked, "Canyouteachmefingerwag-," he broke off mid sentence, trying to remember what the man had called it. Remembering, he started back up as if he hadn't stopped. "magicnow? I'mreallyeager, Ithinkyou'llfindmeanenthusiasticstudent!" He stopped, waiting for the answer, shifting back and forth from foot to foot.
2nd PC of Eldan
Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige
Civus

Phlex looked down at Cogwell, and wished that Gnomes did have so much energy. After Cogwell was done signing the register words started to form on the page under his name. Then the words spelled out questions. At that point Phlex waved his hand and the register now hovered in front of him. Phlex pointed to the quill and it flew from Cogwell's hand, and dipped its self in the ink well again.

"No master Gnome mores the pity." "I will not be teaching you magic, but once you answer all these question maybe we will find out who the luck person will be."

"First question." "Do you have a letter of introduction."
"Second question." "Do you have a point of contact here in the school?"
"Third question." " Will you be living on or off campus?"
"Fourth question." "Have you had any training in Magic?"
"Fifth question." "Do you know what field of Magic you want to study?"
"Last question." "How do you intend to pay for you training?"

Phlex looked from the register to the Gnome, the quill hung in mid-air waiting to write down Cogwell's answers.

"Please speak slowly Mister Cogs." " I do not know if my quill can write as fast as you talk."

Cogwell Cogs
Civus

Post by Cogwell Cogs »

As Phlex asked the questions Cogwell spit the answers out immediately.

"No, I don't."
"Nope."
"Uh, on campus?"
"Nuh-uh."
"The good kind."
"Money. You take money right?"

Cogwell looked a bit meek for a moment. Isurehopetheytakemoney, whatelsecouldipaywith? Maybemysuperextramazingtinkerskills? His eyes sort of started off in the distance through Phlex as his mind raced on at the normal pace.
2nd PC of Eldan
Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige
Civus

"Mister Cogs, please calm down." "I can assure you that we do take money here."

Phlex waited for the quill to get done writing, and a smile came across his face.

"You will be starting with Professor Pralix, and your roommate is going to be Timour Grumph."

Phlex conjured a small ball of light.

"If you follow the light it will take you to Professor Pralix office.

As the gnome turned to leave, Phlex looked around, and called out.

"Is there anyone else here requiring my assistance?"
Last edited by Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cogwell Cogs
Civus

Post by Cogwell Cogs »

"Impressive!" Cogwell exclaimed as Phlex summoned the ball of light. To himself he said, "Iwonder howmanyyears itwill taketolearnthat. Nomore than... ten I surmise." He swatted at it a few times before contenting himself with following it to his destination.
2nd PC of Eldan

Return to “Triangle Islands”